Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 12:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is. What does it matter if you have a facebook friend you rarely talk to? What's so bad about having their name on your friend list? There's no law that says your facebook friends have to talk to you.
Because I don't want an audience, I want real friends that communicate with each other. That's just the way I use FB though.

My latest peeve is people who go off on their FB friends for no apparent reason. For example, a post saying "F*@ you all" and nothing else. I can only assume they are either too stupid to use the friend list features or they really mean it towards me. I've deleted two people this week for posts like that.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Because I don't want an audience, I want real friends that communicate with each other. That's just the way I use FB though.

My latest peeve is people who go off on their FB friends for no apparent reason. For example, a post saying "F*@ you all" and nothing else. I can only assume they are either too stupid to use the friend list features or they really mean it towards me. I've deleted two people this week for posts like that.
They might have some type of issue going on in their life and that's just their way of expressing their anger.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post

Yes, this is my reason.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
I don't understand what the big deal is. What does it matter if you have a facebook friend you rarely talk to? What's so bad about having their name on your friend list? There's no law that says your facebook friends have to talk to you.
Then what's the point of 'friending' them?

Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Then what's the point of 'friending' them?

Why not?

Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Default Yet another reason to dump people you don't talk to...

Facebook is embroiled in yet another [URL="http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9191662/Facebook_battles_another_privacy_firestorm?source= CTWNLE_nlt_security_2010-10-19"]privacy mess[/URL].

From the article, emphasis mine:

The newspaper's investigation found that 10 of Facebook's most popular apps are leaking the unique "Facebook ID" numbers of users to the third-party companies. The ID numbers can be traced back to individual Facebook users.

The Journal also noted that the highly popular Farmville app, which has some 59 million users, also transmits information about the friends of affected users.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Avienne wrote:
Quote:
The newspaper's investigation found that 10 of Facebook's most popular apps are leaking the unique "Facebook ID" numbers of users to the third-party companies. The ID numbers can be traced back to individual Facebook users.

The Journal also noted that the highly popular Farmville app, which has some 59 million users, also transmits information about the friends of affected users.
I've read the same articles and it does concern me. The problem with the internet is that people can access it for free but corporations are looking for a profit and are always looking for new ways to make a profit by means of either advertising or sharing files of individuals who might be interested in a certain ad or product and then selling them to another company. I notice this on my own Facebook account because I'm always getting ads for musical instruments or maybe single women who might be my age. My personal opinion is that the advertising industry has become far more aggressive than it's ever been.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Why not?
Because if they aren't a friend (and friends interact with one another - even if it's just occassionally), I just don't care about seeing their photos, seeing their status posts, their drama or whatever on a daily basis.

If they aren't a friend, I just don't care.

I have run into people (in real life) that I have unfriended and who have unfriended me. We may smile and wave, we may say hi in passing, we may stop and have a short conversation. It's in no way awkward.

I guess it's maybe because I'm 33 and if someone doesn't want to be my Facebook friend, my feelings won't be hurt and I won't be shedding any tears over it.

I think it's the younger generation who puts too much importance on it.

I mean, come on, you received a friends request from a friend of a friend of a friend, you don't have to accept it. I get friend requests from people I went to high school with. Didn't ever talk to them then, don't really care to now. I got a friends request from my 12 year-old nephew's friend. Oh, hell no...A 33 year-old woman 'friends' with a 12 year-old boy. Nope. Nuh-huh. Not gonna happen.

You didn't really answer my question. You just replied with a question of your own. So, it's your turn - what's the point of friending someone if you're not going to interact with one another? Are you afraid to hurt their feelings? You want a big number of friends?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM

"Why not?" was my answer to your question. I just don't see any reason why not to accept their friend request. If they're someone I know in real life and don't like, then I probably won't accept. But as long as I have an idea of who they are, I don't see anything wrong with being facebook friends.

You said friends interact with each other even it's just occasionally, and that's a good view to have. Earlier, I got the impression that you think only close friends should be friends on facebook, but now it sounds like that's not the case. But something's not adding up...you said you've seen people you unfriended in public and you talked to them. That falls under the category of "interacting with them occasionally." So why would you delete them?

And I don't know how well you knew your nephew's friend. But if you knew him in person, I don't see anything wrong with accepting his friend request. If anyone noticed you were friends with him and gave you a hard time, just say he's friends with your nephew so you've met him.

When people say bad stuff about my generation, all I can think is "if you think my generation is bad, just wait until the generation after me." People complaining about the younger generation dates back to Ancient Greece...it's nothing new. And if you're 33, that means you were either born in 1976 or 1977. The cutoff for generation Y varies depending on who you ask, but by some definitions, you would be part of Generation Y. So you're complaining about your own generation.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM

[
Quote:
quote=city_data91;16373465]"Why not?" was my answer to your question.
"Why not?" is not an answer to "Why?"

Just like "Because I said so." is not an answer.

An answer would explain why you feel the need to be 'friends' with every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Quote:
But something's not adding up...you said you've seen people you unfriended in public and you talked to them. That falls under the category of "interacting with them occasionally." So why would you delete them?
Because I'm a polite person. I don't snub people (I don't believe that defriending someone on FB is a snub - come on, it's just FB). And just because I talk to someone I may have seen a couple of times in the past 15 years, does not mean I want to hear their daily or even multi-times per day posts about their life. I just don't care if junior made the football team, or what they are having for breakfast/lunch/dinner, I don't care that they are at Starbucks or Target, I don't care what their little princess is being for halloween.

Quote:
And I don't know how well you knew your nephew's friend. But if you knew him in person, I don't see anything wrong with accepting his friend request. If anyone noticed you were friends with him and gave you a hard time, just say he's friends with your nephew so you've met him.
Because an adult should not be 'friends' with a child. I'm not even friends with my nephews. My sister is not friends with her sons. I will reiterate: An adult should not be friends with a child.

I have met this child and I think he's a good kid. I enjoyed spending time with him and my nephew. But he is not my friend.

And quite frankly, their horrible spelling, grammar and text speak drives me nuts.

Quote:
And if you're 33, that means you were either born in 1976 or 1977. The cutoff for generation Y varies depending on who you ask, but by some definitions, you would be part of Generation Y. So you're complaining about your own generation.
You're getting a little too technical here. You and I may be in the same generation but there's a big difference in how we grew up.

When I was in high school, the internet wasn't available to us. There was no texting. No one had a cell phone. We passed notes in class. We called from landline phones. If I ever needed to call someone from school, I had to stand in line at the pay phone in the lobby. Very few households had computers. We didn't have computer games, we had Nintendo games. Most of us typed our papers on a typewriter.

We didn't have the need to make everyone aware of our every thought, what we were doing, where we were going.

And I'm not complaining, I'm just stating that it's my belief that people who are 10+ years younger than I am, place more importance on 'friending' on Facebook. It may not be a generational thing, but it's defintely an age thing.

Last edited by HokieFan; 10-23-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships