Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times

Advertisements

I have seen some of the shyest, most introverted people come out of their shell due to the other person being so easy to talk to. Some people just make everyone at ease around them. Be that person. If I could explain how to do that, I'd be at a book signing right now instead of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I have seen some of the shyest, most introverted people come out of their shell due to the other person being so easy to talk to. Some people just make everyone at ease around them. Be that person. If I could explain how to do that, I'd be at a book signing right now instead of here.
yeah, do you have to be born with good social skills, is it all instinct? is it something you either have or don't?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah, do you have to be born with good social skills, is it all instinct? is it something you either have or don't?
I think most are born with it but it's something I've seen people learn, although, I'm not sure how.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I think most are born with it but it's something I've seen people learn, although, I'm not sure how.
yeah since I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, that makes it difficult for me, but unfortuneately I can't use it as an excuse to stop talking and trying to befriend people

Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM

53 posts, read 51,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I try my hardest to make friends, but it seems like everyone is content with the ones they already have. I've added people i know on facebook and people who i don't know have added me. But yet no one ever wants to hang out. Im really confused and sad about this. Can you good people of city-data please give me suggestions on places where to make friends? Thanks in advance.
well my first bit of advice would be to get off the computer, you need to go out and try to meet people in person, you can sit on the computer day in and day out and have 200 internet friends, what does that mean? anything? no, it doesnt. real friends are the ones you meet in person and they like you for who you are, your personality etc.. i have lots of friends, both male and female, true friends, some new, some i have had for yrs, real friends are priceless! so, get off the computer and go enjoy life, always be pleasant, treat people nice and with respect and smile , you will make friends in no time, real friend are priceless!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,120 times
The bar scene isn't for meeting friends, even though that wasn't a place of designation. More so volunteering and give into what you like about yourself; do things you like to do, meet people in your own place of comfort.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Quote:

Count me in as one who "learned" social skills. I was a rather awkward, geeky kid - friends used to call me "Raj" - you know Roger - the skinny, nerdy kid on What's Happening?. Somewhere along the way, can't recall when or how, I picked up on the fact that people generally love talking about themselves. I just practiced and practiced - failed a bunch - but over time, I started to feel real comfortable talking to just about anyone. My thing - and not sure if it'll work for you - was to simply ask questions and do my best to get to know the person/people in front of me. I found that I learned a lot by listening. People now tell me how much they enjoy talking to me...sometimes, it's hard to break away!!

Being 17 is a golden time. Drink deep from the river of life! Enjoy it to the fullest, my friend!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR76 View Post
well my first bit of advice would be to get off the computer, you need to go out and try to meet people in person, you can sit on the computer day in and day out and have 200 internet friends, what does that mean? anything? no, it doesnt. real friends are the ones you meet in person and they like you for who you are, your personality etc.. i have lots of friends, both male and female, true friends, some new, some i have had for yrs, real friends are priceless! so, get off the computer and go enjoy life, always be pleasant, treat people nice and with respect and smile , you will make friends in no time, real friend are priceless!!!
well it's hard going out to meet people when you have nobody to hang out with

Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR76 View Post
lol

Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 51,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
well it's hard going out to meet people when you have nobody to hang out with
well, thats why you go out then, he wont meet anybody by sitting home wasting all his time on facebook or other social networking sites, he could have 300 so called internet friends, but we all know that doesnt mean anything, its just a status thing for people to say look at me, look at how popular i am, in the end he stills has no real friends. He doesnt need to have someone with him to go out, he justs needs to get off the computer and go out!!! there are lots of places to go by yourself and then start up a conversation with people, talk to people, go to places where the people have the same interests as you, that way you have something to talk about, the rest just comes natural!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships