U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 AM

24,533 posts, read 14,616,356 times

Advertisements

We kids are just to the point of no gift giving and beg my mother not to get anything. Even my brother's kids are old enough now that it's not a big deal.

When I did, moons ago, give 'family' gifts to my brother's family I gave them a bird feeder for the yard one year , a bird bath one year, A telescope, A stack of Parker Brother's board games. - All of this they could enjoy together.

The other thing you can do is wrap identical boxes - all of them empty except one. Let them go and pick one themselves to unwrap and see who gets the gift that year and do it evey year as a tradition.

Alos try the charity site called "Greater Goods Network"

Last edited by Thursday007; 12-14-2009 at 04:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,670,697 times
I kinda like picking out gifts for family and friends but agree that some families are H U G E in numbers. MY dh has alot of siblings and offspring, so the idea of drawing names and putting a cap on amount spent sounds good to me. Maybe next year I can get that idea to blossom but right now it's a fizzle. For now we just get a family gift that all can 'hopefully' appreciate. I do like the idea of the Greater Goods Network. I generally give year round to different charities but I like to support a certain #/group around the holidays.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM

Greater Goods Network is a collection of a number of different, specific charities from animals, to hunger, rain forest, breast cancer and others and each of them have their own specific shops where you can actually get 'items.' So, it serves two purposes. You can even get your greeting cards through them depending on what charity you want to support.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 AM

21,146 posts, read 18,975,316 times
My parents and grandparents don't need more stuff. Their houses are full and they don't want any more things--they have told me so most vociferously.

This year, we sent out photo cards, a nice newsletter (to those of you who groan at newsletters, people asked for one, I swear!) full of news about the children, and some extra photos for grandparents. This weekend, I will be baking a lot of stuff and sending boxes to people.

I will be sending some money to my sister, who is out of work right now, and we bought several presents for our nephew (my husband's sister's son), because he and his mom will be here on Christmas Day. My husband has two other sisters, a brother, and several nieces and nephews, but we are not always able to send them things. We like to send toys to the kids but it adds up.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 AM

After my last grandmother died I found all the old black and white photos from her christening to their wedding and others in between including photos dating back to the 1800's of cousins and aunts. Some were getting worn and torn and there are three sisters on my mom's side of the family so, I had the photos restored and had copies made and did three photo albums and each of them got some originals and some copies - but they all now had them to pass along to their families.

I also did this with my parents and family photos all the way back to my grandparents for my brothers and their families so everyone had a set and a photo album to keep. It was also fun to go through them all and my nephews looking at my dad in his powder blue tux and stuff.

Last edited by Thursday007; 12-14-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 807 times
In-laws--one celebrates Christmas, one doesn't. (Religious reasons.) We tried to respect that by giving a gift only to the one who does. But then, we were the only ones in the family who did so and I felt cheap and stupid. Our gift from them says from B&L, but that's what B writes on it. I know L would rather have nothing to do with it. What to do? It's my husband's family, so I went with his wishes, but I still felt bad.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,081,563 times
Default Hi Bette..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have a pretty large family but my husband's side is down to 1. We always have a big family party and some gave small gifts, some gave larger items - I would give my nephews and nieces gift cards to the movies or Starbucks (they now range in age from 19 to 25) - I would give the adults a gift card to a restaurant they liked and it seemed like everyone appreciated it.

If I did a family gift (one item to each family), it was like a popcorn maker or something that could be shared by everyone.

It's getting harder to get together each year but I don't want the tradition to end - any ideas? Adopting a family to help throughout the year instead? Every group could take a month and videotape it - does that sound corny?

The others have decided on "no gifts" this year. A couple of the families do quite well so it's not the money. I'm probably one of the ones that struggle but I always thought it was fun.

Anyone been through this? (Not trying to create tension - just trying to go with the flow).
just go with your 'own flow'. If you wish to send gifts then do so...the tradition can live on. Just sounds like family dynamics are changing w/the growing ages of the children...embrace it.
Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas)
Koale.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM

10,982 posts, read 9,483,805 times
I like giving gifts! It makes me feel happy to see others delighted and surprised. There has been a split in my family woth some people saying that "Christmas is for Children"? Says who? All holidays involving gift giving are for people of all ages.

My father and his wife frequently say that they don't need anything. However, I usually give a gift anyway. A framed picture of my family, an ornament, a boxed set of DVDs. a fruit basket - all of these have been most welcomed!

As for the many teens and early twenties in my extended family, I have given Starbucks Cards, movie gift cards, ( to chain Theaters) earnings for girls, fun boxer shorts, scarves, and a little something sweet.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,395,859 times
I know this is a resurected old thread but it's appropriate this time of year.

As we all got older and are now waiting for the sons and daughters to reproduce we found that it does get harder every years to come up with new ideas.

On both sides of my family we draw names. On my side (since we live in three different states) we also include a list of suggestions. Because...really, I myself, want to give them something they actually like and can use. While I know my siblings and their offspring well, I don't really know their spouses.

On my inlaw side..it's actually more fun. Everyone 18 and up buys something no more than $25.00. We then do the drawing of the numbers.
If you've never played. Each person picks a present in the order of the numbers passed out. If #2 gets something and decides he'd rather have #1's he gets to trade. #3 gets to choose from either #1 or #2...and so forth. At the end....#1 gets to choose from them all!
The idea is to come up with either #1) something cool and unique or #2) A gift card for something other than the norm. (altho some us give gas cards and watch the young college age kids fight over them.
It's so much fun to see what people have come up with and what gets the most attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships