Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,381,451 times

Advertisements

I'm the sort of person, who makes every effort to not get offside with people, are there people I'm offside with? yes, but not many.

The way I look at it you should try (yes try we all have our moments) treat everyone the way you want to be treated yourself and if you have got only nasty things to say about someone keep your mouth shut as much as possible.
Long term its not smart either to get offside with people as it can bite you in the ass.

I know and have known others, who have a far different approach, they speak their mind often and aren't afraid to let people have it and as a result have several people they are offside with.

Thoughts welcome.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
Dave, what does "get offside" mean? Does it mean you have an argument, or is it more that you are enemies or hold grudges (something long-term)?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,381,451 times
Yeah just another way of saying falling out with someone. So they may not want to speak to you again, hold a grudge etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,362,183 times
I guess never having enemies is not realistic. But by being respectful, the likelihood of making enemies lessens.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
I'm going to take a guess that off-side means out of favor or you've burned a bridge or made an enemy?

I don't go looking to do this to people but I also know that not everybody's gonna like me and I'm not going to like everybody.
I'm not going to lie about how I feel about something but then again, I don't usually offer that unless I'm asked.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
Ah, thanks. I used to have a hot temper, but I've mellowed out quite a bit and am more slow to anger now. If I go off on someone I usually feel bad afterward. I think most of the time, "brutal honesty" is just a euphemism for "brutality" and an excuse for someone to say whatever enters his or her head.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM

62 posts, read 120,239 times
I don't let anger emotions control my judgement of other people. A man who is in control of his emotions is in control of the situation. Ever heard of that saying if someone throw a rock at you, throw a bread at him. I would simply just tell him or her....."Hey, I'm all that. Probably even more worst. Your like that too. Cause you have to sink your level to mine and keep on entertaining me."

It makes them stop arguing and start using their brains. Carlos Romulo, a former UN Ambassador, saw that an argument was going to turn out into a fist fight once said "People who have no brains use their fist."

I'd often wish people could have views that we don't think alike. So pause and think that peace can never be achieved through force but through understanding and respect for each other's individual differences.

I don't want to find an argument here but rather an understanding.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,260,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy_09 View Post
I don't let anger emotions control my judgement of other people. A man who is in control of his emotions is in control of the situation. Ever heard of that saying if someone throw a rock at you, throw a bread at him. I would simply just tell him or her....."Hey, I'm all that. Probably even more worst. Your like that too. Cause you have to sink your level to mine and keep on entertaining me."

It makes them stop arguing and start using their brains. Carlos Romulo, a former UN Ambassador, saw that an argument was going to turn out into a fist fight once said "People who have no brains use their fist."

I'd often wish people could have views that we don't think alike. So pause and think that peace can never be achieved through force but through understanding and respect for each other's individual differences.

I don't want to find an argument here but rather an understanding.

Where I come from it goes: "People Who Have No Brains Use Their .45's"

Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,260,350 times
I am a very vindictive person, I am sorry to say. My whole life I have been trying to stay away from trouble for this reason. I will not rest until I get mine and hurt you. People in the past, even close friends have thought I was a wuss for walking away from fights and other issues until a fateful day that I will keep to myself.
I guess after they finding out the person I really am has kept my close friends distant.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Some people make a sport of rubbing others the wrong way just to get a rise out of them, and then make a sport of duking it out with heated words. Troublemakers, they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships