Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,209,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I always like those stickers of stick-figure people like a mom, dad, three kids, and a pet, with everybody's names under or above the stick figure. I always thought it would be wicked-cool to get a whole bunch of those stickers and put them all over the entire back window - I'm talking HUNDREDS of stick figures! Then, just for S&G's, maybe put some red X's through some of the stick figures.

This is a good idea, right?

*** (For those of you who aren't down with the lingo ... S&G's are sh*ts and giggles)
OMG, that would be funny! Or the soccer/baseball/tennis ball magnets all over the car! Have you seen the stickies that look like bullet holes?? Classic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,087,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
OMG, that would be funny! Or the soccer/baseball/tennis ball magnets all over the car! Have you seen the stickies that look like bullet holes?? Classic
Don't forget the "Calvin peeing" sticker!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,209,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Don't forget the "Calvin peeing" sticker!
Those really bother me...give me a funny bumper sticker any day but I hate the peeing guy...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,953,769 times
Maybe a back window with HUNDREDS of stick figures - but with a Calvin peeing on each one of them? Now that's classic!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,062,045 times
Quote:
Maybe a back window with HUNDREDS of stick figures - but with a Calvin peeing on each one of them? Now that's classic!!!
Hmmm... otherwise, I believe that in many states, having extraneous stickers on ones windows can be considered an "obstruction of the drivers view" and a police officer can (at his discretion) write up the vehicle's owner for the violation... and in addition to the fine, the stickers would have to be removed.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Nope, you can say I'm selfish, stupid or whatever but there is one fact you can't escape. And that is that while you say people put stickers on their car not caring what others think and that they only do it for personal rememberance than why are they putting it on the outside for everybody to read and not inside where it would be in their face for personal memory?
I know this thread went in a direction you did not intend. You probably didn't think anyone here used those stickers, and I saw that you apologized earlier. I just wanted to point that out first so I didn't fan the flames too high. I thought about this some more yesterday and wanted to add another perspective to it.

Dressing in mourning clothes used to be common. A widow or widower might wear black for a year or more. Women used to wear veils over their faces and refuse to see anyone ... doing otherwise was considered highly improper. Wearing mourning clothes wasn't just a reminder for the bereaved of what had been lost; it was a signal to other people that the person was grieving and to please excuse any strange behavior. For example, people who are mourning a recent loss might momentarily forget and burst out laughing at something funny, or they might dissolve into tears for no apparent reason. They might not wish to go somewhere they already agreed to go, or they might feel wild and impulsive and do something bizarre. All those things are normal for people who are grieving, and the black clothes told onlookers, "Go about your business."

As a society, we don't use mourning clothes much anymore, and I think that is unfortunate. People who are mourning look like everyone else. If someone starts crying at the grocery store or screaming at the gas station, we think, "That person is nuts!" or worse. If we knew he or she lost a beloved relative or friend just days before, I think most of us would have more compassion. Poor thing, she's still not herself. Maybe some of us would step forward to help.

Just some thoughts during my morning coffee.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,310,322 times
The loss of a loved one is painful as we can all relate. I can empathize with LK's post because no one WANTS to feel sad and seeing memorials tap into that pain for some. As some of you may/may not know I have posted about losing my brother, he was walking on the side of the road when he was struck by a truck. Well it's been three years yet, whenever I see someone walking on the side of the road at night, I reflect back on him. The person walking is unknown to me, doesn't intend to remind me of it because he does not know my life but he does nonetheless. These stickers can do the same thing. It causes some of us to reflect back on a lost loved one...the pain we feel... and it can lead to anger because some random stranger with a sticker on their vehicle caused us to be reminded of that pain.

So LK, I hope you have a better day today and keep on living. At the very least, these stickers should remind us of that...to keep on living.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,885,399 times
I guess I see it as it being "their" vehicle and they perhaps just want to feel like they are carrying a little bit more of the memory of their "angel" along with them. Granted seeing stickers about a small child or even 9-11 brings me to tears instantly because of the sheer tragedy of it, but some people truly LOVE their cars. If it's okay for them to put those little flip flop stickers or little people showing what a "happy" little family they are, why can't they share a little of their grief?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,642,821 times
Quote:
I always like those stickers of stick-figure people like a mom, dad, three kids, and a pet, with everybody's names under or above the stick figure. I always thought it would be wicked-cool to get a whole bunch of those stickers and put them all over the entire back window - I'm talking HUNDREDS of stick figures! Then, just for S&G's, maybe put some red X's through some of the stick figures.

This is a good idea, right?
i had that same idea the other day while sitting at a stoplight.

i think 15 or 20 children would be the appropriate number, where people wouldn't be able to tell whether or not you're joking.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,606,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
The loss of a loved one is painful as we can all relate. I can empathize with LK's post because no one WANTS to feel sad and seeing memorials tap into that pain for some. As some of you may/may not know I have posted about losing my brother, he was walking on the side of the road when he was struck by a truck. Well it's been three years yet, whenever I see someone walking on the side of the road at night, I reflect back on him. The person walking is unknown to me, doesn't intend to remind me of it because he does not know my life but he does nonetheless. These stickers can do the same thing. It causes some of us to reflect back on a lost loved one...the pain we feel... and it can lead to anger because some random stranger with a sticker on their vehicle caused us to be reminded of that pain.

So LK, I hope you have a better day today and keep on living. At the very least, these stickers should remind us of that...to keep on living.
Perhaps you're on to something, pain can lead to anger, and anger leads to road rage.

This one's a keeper, "Our cow has died, so we don't need your bull."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships