Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Only the coldest of heart would not feel bummed about seeing a 4 year old die. The things we do and say effect others everyday wherther we realize it or not. Maybe I am a sensitive guy but it brought a friggin tear to my eye when I saw that. Then anger, because it effected my whole morning.

Smiling or giving the bird at someone like while driving can make a person's day positive or negative. Same with stickers like that, at least for me.
Agreed. But the sadness we feel for the morning is nothing compared to what they feel for the rest of their days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
If you think stickers are bad, I saw this truck had graphic paint of In Loving Memory with full name and an image of their baby (my guess).

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have seen a couple that were on the inside and reversed, so the driver would be able to read it in the rear-view mirror. Was yours like that?

I doubt many people would see a "9/11: Never Forget" ribbon, sticker or shirt and complain, "Oh, just GET OVER IT already," and if you want to put a sticker on your car over something that's important to you, okay. My gripe is when I see them and they are dirty and chipped. Like a gravesite that is covered with weeds, you know?
Yes, it's like you (some people anyway) want them with you every moment possible, even if it's just in the memorializing of them. It's just part of the grief process. Why anyone would be bothered by the way others grieve is a mystery to me but, as I said, live and let live--including those who rebuke another's way of grieving.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Agreed. But the sadness we feel for the morning is nothing compared to what they feel for the rest of their days.
Yeah I know that, doesn't make others feeling sad about it right though. What if I posted everyday on CD about my mother's death ,constantly reminding you who never knew her would that be in good taste? At least here we know each other on a sort of more personl level so we may share certain things but I just see it as different advertising to the world everyday about personal sorrow.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
I am sure the person who put it on their car was thinking of YOUR feelings. Maybe it helps them deal with their own grief. I am sure their child's death is with them 24/7. I am guessing that a 4 year old was not a gang-banger...big difference.
So sad that it ruined your morning.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
if you want to put a sticker on your car over something that's important to you, okay. My gripe is when I see them and they are dirty and chipped. Like a gravesite that is covered with weeds, you know?
I agree. If you are going to have a sticker honoring the memory of your lost love one, at least keep it clean and nice looking. I too have seen these stickers and I admit to feeling a twinge of sadness especially if they died young. However, I don't dwell on it because I do not know them. Perhaps someone saw that same sticker and went home and hugged their spouse, child, parent or made a small change in their day to show someone living they loved them.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
I think of them just as I do grave sites, roadside memorials, ribbons on trees and any other type of memorial. The only difference with the decals on vehicles is that they are mobile. People grieve in different ways and different things serve as reminders.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Thank you and reps to you. Such narcissism in the face of grief and loss. Unbelievable.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
People have been driving and loosing loved ones for decades without having the need to advertise it on their auto for the world to see. This is not a way to deal with grief as much as it is more of a trend.

You deal with grief by letting time help heal and let it become less of a current emotion. And again, a national tragedy such as 9/11 sticker is different than a personal one.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
People have been driving and loosing loved ones for decades without having the need to advertise it on their auto for the world to see. This is not a way to deal with grief as much as it is more of a trend.

You deal with grief by letting time help heal and let it become less of a current emotion. And again, a national tragedy such as 9/11 sticker is different than a personal one.
Well, there ya have it folks, infinite wisdom on how to grieve. I hope you have all learned your lesson.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships