Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Bulls***, displaying something on your car is for the purpose of gaining attention. So yes when they do that they are thinking about what others will think not just themselves. So please.........

Why do people scribble just married on their car? because they want the world to know. They know they just got married, they don't need to paint it on their car to remind themself that they just did so come on...
Regurgitating these to be fact doesn't make it so. It is how you see it, not how it actually is for them.

If you can preach the difference between a "national tragedy" and a personal one, you should be able to see the difference between rejoicing in being "just married" and memorializing someone who died, as far as attention goes. I suspect you won't.

Either way, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how stupid I think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMemoryOf View Post
LionKing,

It has been years since I have posted to this website. Your post motivated me to do so. Please take a few minutes out of your precious day to read a little bit about what us overly emotional, grieving parents feel.
Taylor Burgstahler (1988 - 2005)

(Sorry, I do not know how to make this a link. I would appreciate it if someone could post it as a link. Thanks.)

Words cannot express the sadness one feels when a loving child suddenly up and dies. Yes, it sucks that "we" dare share even an iota of grief. I mean, really, who are "we" to suggest that "we" actually have a right to put a little sticker on the back of our cars to connect with other grieving parents?

I wish this on no one - even you.
A website is more appropiate. Those that need to come together to grieve have a choice to do so as they are seeking out your site or are directed due to you. Different than having a sticker on the car. You also include words of direction and comfort, a difference.

Of course no one would wish this on anyone the whole point of publicly displaying it brings people into sadness. Posting about it on a forum is reaching out to people on a semi personal level anyway, displaying it publicly only notifies strangers of your loss. The whole point of why it struck me particularly hard as compared to "in memory of Harry Mudd 1925-2008" who while it is sad that he is gone at least the guy had a full life.

Do I not expect for you to grieve? Of course I do and anyone who knows about your loss even if I never met you for some of us it really makes us grieve also. But ALL of us learn what loosing someone feels like sooner or later, it is not a feeling alien to most, although a child, well that is specially rough. However time heals, or at least makes it not so bad, that is the way it is suppose to be. I keep my chrished memories of my lost ones in my heart and mind where it matters most and I go on living my life to the most I can.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Regurgitating these to be fact doesn't make it so. It is how you see it, not how it actually is for them.

If you can preach the difference between a "national tragedy" and a personal one, you should be able to see the difference between rejoicing in being "just married" and memorializing someone who died, as far as attention goes. I suspect you won't.
The biggest difference as I see it is that just married folk are keenly aware. They're shouting from the mountain tops, wide-eyed and alive. Folks in grief are walking around in a fog. They're bearly aware of themselves let alone anybody else. I left my front door open this morning when I left for work. It's freezing out. I just walked right out. I did the exact same thing last night. My dh came home to an ice box twice.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

Either way, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, no matter how stupid I think it is.

Nope, you can say I'm selfish, stupid or whatever but there is one fact you can't escape. And that is that while you say people put stickers on their car not caring what others think and that they only do it for personal rememberance than why are they putting it on the outside for everybody to read and not inside where it would be in their face for personal memory?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I'd say it's really none of our business how people grieve. Personally I find the stickers on the car a bit silly, but that kinda fits with our narcissistic MyFacebookspace society we have. The roadside memorials don't make much sense to me either.

I wouldn't really let it concern me though. I certainly wouldn't want someone telling me how to grieve.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
People put stickers on their car to express themselves, for whatever reason. It's their car, their business. No one should be that affected by it. I've always wondered why some people really dislike bumper stickers in general. Some are really political or funny or gross, but who cares. I like them because they make the person in the rolling metal box an individual. Just think it's interesting when people express themselves in that way, whatever they may be thinking or feeling. I don't see why they should not do it as a memorial if that is what they want.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
Very slighty to the side of this topic, the stickers that worry me are the ones that proud parents put on the SUV windows..."Taylor #12" on a football helmet or "Hailey" under the outline of a megaphone. Why are parents arming complete strangers with knowledge about their childrens' extracurricular activities? In much of this area, kids wait at the bus stop alone or in a group. It wouldn't take a genius to roll up on some kid and say "Hey Taylor, your mom told me to come and get you, she got sick and is the hospital. Sure I know her! She talks to me all the time about how good you are at football, number 12, right?"...

Be proud of your kids but really, just slap one of those "My kid is smart enough to bring home this bumper sticker" thingies on the bumper and leave it at that.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People put stickers on their car to express themselves, for whatever reason. It's their car, their business. No one should be that affected by it. I've always wondered why some people really dislike bumper stickers in general. Some are really political or funny or gross, but who cares. I like them because they make the person in the rolling metal box an individual. Just think it's interesting when people express themselves in that way, whatever they may be thinking or feeling. I don't see why they should not do it as a memorial if that is what they want.
I don't think it is any different than someone getting a tattoo, the color they choose for their home, the style clothes they choose to wear...self expression

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
In line with what others say, in my area I have noticed this is sort of a "young lower class/unskilled blue collar" thing.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
I think it all started with those yellow "Baby on Board" signs. Before then it was all decals. And that's back when car license plate holders said "Have a nice day."

When dinosaurs roamed the earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships