U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times

Advertisements

Man you aint got to put up with that, it aint that serious. Just like you found her you can find another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 960 times
Wink In laws not talking

We live in a very changed world of people and relationships. Inlaws are a breed of thier own. Dont subject yourself to being snobbed in fact dont be arround them at all. I tend to hang with like minded people with similar interests and personalities. I dont do stuck up inlaws. The best way to **** them off is to show them you are having a fantastic life without them and thier behaviour.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM

5,796 posts, read 1,922,770 times
My In-Laws are toxic, socially retarded, mean spirited people. I would send DH up kicking and screaming alone to visit his parents. I went to his fathers funeral and had to deal with the "Oh, you're here" comments. I was very polite and said yes that I was there to support my husband and I'm sorry for your loss and I walked away. I've only seen my MIL since. That was about 10 yrs. ago. I suspect when she passes I will only have to deal with them one more time. Life is to short to have to deal with that kind of negativity. I found it easy to walk away.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM

5,017 posts, read 4,992,483 times
My inlaw's were mean people. They liked to call up my husband and tell him things about his 2 kids who lived with his ex. "Oh, I heard this and that about your daughter." I couldn't figure out that type of behavior. My husband was always upset after talking to his mom/witch mother. The father was strange, too. Never called me by my first name until I was w/ my spouse for years. They didn't like "outsiders." Weird. My husband had major problems w/ both. We moved far away and it solved most problems. Then, we figured we'd move farther and that did it again. Now, we came back East cuz they're both gone.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,118,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think you should charm them with your "small" talk and engage them in daily banter!

It should work!
===========================================
Most people I talk to seem to enjoy my ability at small talk, except the in laws.
I'm sure that they do. You sound like a perfectly nice person. The problem is theirs not yours.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM

10,982 posts, read 9,472,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
My wife's family does not communicate with me. When I try to talk to them I usually get a grunt, a bored look, or at best- a one word answer to my comments. It is painful. My wife's relationship with her her family is not so great either.

Though it always seems like we are forced to get involved in different family activities. Each are more painful than the next. I can just feel the tension in the air. They really do not like me but are to polite and formal to actually say it verbally. (I have tried to be nice, but it does not work). I do not think talking to them about it would work.

I am looking for feedback from people who do not get along with their in-laws. How do you handle the situation?
I think that their treatment of you is abusive. I have no doubt that you try hard, are friendly and likeable. The problem is theirs, not yours.

Unfortunately, in-law rejection can wreck havoc in a marriage. And I am no stranger to it.My husband and I decided to cut them out of our life rather than have me continue to grovel for acceptance and to be treated respectfully.

It was never going to happen and it never will.

We finally moved and left no forwarding address.With the aid of a private detective, they tracked us down. We still have'nt seen them, We send holiday cards, but that's about it.
They even play games with my children.

Please do yourself a favor and remove yourself from this toxic situation.

I wish you the best and I hope that your wife understands that this is serious and unexceptionable
It has nothing to do with blood, but everything to do with love.
Would you let your wife be subjected to this treatment by your family? If you love her, you would not, and she will not permit this atrocious behavior to continue.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships