Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I haven't, but I know very little about computers and cell phones. I have one at work that belongs to the company, but I don't own my own. It gets turned off after hours and I only have a pager turned on. When I go fishing, I don't want someone bothering me anyway.
I'm not into hi-tech, either. I only got a cell phone about 5 years ago and for an unpleasant reason. Didn't really want it, but kept it and got used to it. Being kept on a leash is not my thing, either. I like the convenience of being able to make a call if I need to, but other than that I don't care.

I wouldn't know how to "drive" any of those blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and who knows what berries, iPhones, etc. gadgets and I have zero interest in them.

At this point I don't even know which thread we're hijacking. Oh, yeah, social life... seems appropriate... virtual social life we got!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 AM

87 posts, read 133,649 times
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com worked for me when I moved to a new town. I made some awesome friends through there. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplementmoi View Post
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com worked for me when I moved to a new town. I made some awesome friends through there. Good luck!

Ditto!

The New Years party I was at last night was with people I met through a running group I joined at meetup.com. I belong to a hiking group as well.

What do you like to do? I can almost guarantee there's a meetup group that will fit your interests.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Lets face it...all of us here are chatting online New Year's Eve, which means we're lonely without friends.
Not everyone who is alone is lonely. Some people like themselves and that takes care of being lonely.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
If you're looking to meet people, the best way is to get out and do something for others - volunteer. Put someone else first in your thoughts for a little while and you'll find that making friends is easy that way. Join the red cross, a church organization, Friends of the Library, etc.

I moved to NYC knowing one person and with no job. Within 2 months, I had met someone who was to become one of my dearest friends (at the time, we were just acquaintances) and I was on my way to forming several good friendships. I volunteered to organize the meetings for a group. That assured that I at least had some base level of common interest (the purpose of the group).

Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,609 times
Quote:
Lets face it...all of us here are chatting online New Year's Eve, which means we're lonely without friends.
hahahahahahaha

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
I need to know myself. Im getting sick of meeting off internet and bars.
Start from a blank slate. What really interests you? When you discover this, you would be able to meet persons of like mind.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I just moved to a town where I didn't know a soul. I left my house walked around the neighborhood, went to the mall, and did things I generally enjoyed doing at home and I talked to people around me. When I told them I was new in town, they took great delight in sharing their impressions of my new home. My co-workers have been really great, too. They made sure I wasn't alone for the holidays and have invited me out on group outings.

I don't stay in touch with everyone I've met, but so far I've met some really cool people I enjoy spending time with. And the internet is a great resource for finding local hot spots.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Too bad there's not a club meeting for people who like to sit home and chat on the Internet, or watch TV and movies at home. People who don't have any "activities" are going to find it hard to find someone.

I'm chuckling, but not viciously. I think that's cute.
A club for inactive people ...

Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Talk to people. Just start conversations (appropriate in context, of course). Be friendly, open, approachable, and genuine.
I get so annoyed when people say this. This is a most generic and unhelpful suggestion. Obviously "talking" is the only way to get to know people. But there's a time and place for talking, which is the point of the original question. If it were as easy as simply talking to people, then nobody would ever have any problems making friends.

Quote:
Do you have any hobbies? Find like minded people!
Again, this is a non-answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships