Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times

Advertisements

A discussion I had with my girlfriend last night that I'd like to open up to you here at a.net. Last night I told my girlfriend that I'd like to catch up with my aunt and uncle and that 7PM would work for my uncle and aunt. My gf couldn't imagine setting a time to visit family and uses the pop-in. It is common among all of her family memebers to just walk in on other family members and plop yourself on the couch. There are other very noticable differences.

"I love you" when ending phone calls among all members of her family. From aunts to newphews, parents and children (although I haven't heard it from cousin to cousin). A simple "Love you" is said when talking to my mom and sometimes my father on the phone and before bed.

Hugs when leaving. Even if she is going to see her mother in a few hours. we we're leaving to go out she'll hug her. Same goes for her father and any other members of her family. No hugs are given, period.

As mentioned earlier, a walk in is used. In my family, a knock on the door is mandatory. The exception is being when entering my grandparents house. I think this just carried on from when my father and aunt and uncle where children and walking in in what was their house.

Ironically, most of the family live on the same road. Most of my father's side lives on my road and most of her mother's side lives on her road.

What about your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Rarely do I just walk in to anyone's house without knocking, even family. My mom and dad, I might knock and then come in. My two best friends in my neighborhood, we do a quick knock, open door, and say HELLO....

Hugs/Kisses/I Love You - Always to family members, especially my parents, husband and kids, you never know - that could be the last time you ever see them again.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I never knock at my parents house. I have a key and the alarm code if it's locked. ALWAYS say I love you/hugs/kisses/etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM

42 posts, read 104,993 times
Differences in family are always interesting. In mine (which also all live on the same road), we knock, and occasionally hug. We almost never kiss or say we love each other. I think it's the gruff way of the woods or something. But in my boyfriend's family, EVERYONE hugs and says they love each other, and immediate family kisses. It was hard to get used to! I think they think I'm cold or something, just because I don't initiate hugging. Blerg.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I call in advance to see if it's convenient for me to visit. I rarely pop in on anyone even my parents. If the door is closed I was taught to knock and then wait for someone to come to the door and let me in - you never know what you might be walking in on otherwise. I always hug family and tell them I love them when I leave because life is unpredictable. If something were to happen to them and I didn't say it I'd never forgive myself.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
A discussion I had with my girlfriend last night that I'd like to open up to you here at a.net. Last night I told my girlfriend that I'd like to catch up with my aunt and uncle and that 7PM would work for my uncle and aunt. My gf couldn't imagine setting a time to visit family and uses the pop-in. It is common among all of her family memebers to just walk in on other family members and plop yourself on the couch. There are other very noticable differences.

"I love you" when ending phone calls among all members of her family. From aunts to newphews, parents and children (although I haven't heard it from cousin to cousin). A simple "Love you" is said when talking to my mom and sometimes my father on the phone and before bed.

Hugs when leaving. Even if she is going to see her mother in a few hours. we we're leaving to go out she'll hug her. Same goes for her father and any other members of her family. No hugs are given, period.

As mentioned earlier, a walk in is used. In my family, a knock on the door is mandatory. The exception is being when entering my grandparents house. I think this just carried on from when my father and aunt and uncle where children and walking in in what was their house.

Ironically, most of the family live on the same road. Most of my father's side lives on my road and most of her mother's side lives on her road.

What about your family?
Most of my family is all very close. I talk to my mom and daughter daily, several times a day. I see my mom at least twice a week. Every Sunday me and my kids, my mom and stepdad, brother and sis in law, and a couple aunts and uncles all go to lunch and then back to my mom's and hang out. I love it.

My daughter (22 yo) lives over an hour from me, but we try to see each other every 3 weeks or so.

We're very touchy/feeling/loving family, so yes, we say love you, hug each other, etc.

We do knock before entering though. Except at my mom's, I knock, then walk on in.

PS...I was VERY close with my dad, before he died from cancer 8 years ago. Give your parent a call tomorrow and tell them you love them!

Last edited by mzjamiedawn; 01-13-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post

What about your family?
My aunt and uncle were like parents to me.

For a long time as a kid, I lived with them. Even after leaving their home, they wanted me to keep a key to their house. I was expected to use it to come by anytime I liked. They had an open door policy with all of their kids/family.

They are gone now. I miss them, and the closeness to family.

Crap! Excuse me while I go sit in a corner and

Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
I'm very close to my family, but I really like my independence. I do my own thing, but it's always comforting to know that my father, mother, or grandmother are only a phone call away.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
My aunt and uncle were like parents to me.

For a long time as a kid, I lived with them. Even after leaving their home, they wanted me to keep a key to their house. I was expected to use it to come by anytime I liked. They had an open door policy with all of their kids/family.

They are gone now. I miss them, and the closeness to family.

Crap! Excuse me while I go sit in a corner and
((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
Everyone is close in my family. We don't have any black sheep (actually, it may be me) or "issues." No one talks behind each other's back, everyone is very understanding, just overall people you can depend on. That being said, "I love you"'s and hugs don't happen. I never felt they took away from our closeness. Just the way it is...it is just implied!

When I visited relatives down south on my own when I was young, everything at the dinner table was "may I have the...please pass the...thank you for the potatoes." And "may I be excused" and "yes sir, no mamm."

At my home, someone just had to mumble "taters" and the closest person would pass them What's with the "please" and "thank you" crap? Seems like a lot of needless words to me Why do I need to be excused for?! When I was done, I got up and started on the dishes then did whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships