U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 11,940,966 times

Advertisements

My husbands family lives in Latin America (country not important). One of my sisters-in-law lives locally to us and we see each other often. Everyone else lives in Latin America.

My sister-in-law who lives in Latin America had a baby one year ago and today is her birthday. We will see the baby for the first time next month.

My sister-in-law who lives here, insisted on coming over last night to celebrate the baby's birthday with a cake and candles. Then insisted we eat a slice of cake on the baby's behalf - the whole works. Then she insisted on the three of us taking pictures to send to the baby showing the birthday cake, etc. Obviously it wasn't for the baby as much as for the grandparents and mother .... but, really.

The whole situation was so surreal not to mention manipulative. Have you ever heard of this? This was like something out of the Adams Family.

Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM

7,001 posts, read 18,172,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
My husbands family lives in Latin America (country not important). One of my sisters-in-law lives locally to us and we see each other often. Everyone else lives in Latin America.

My sister-in-law who lives in Latin America had a baby one year ago and today is her birthday. We will see the baby for the first time next month.

My sister-in-law who lives here, insisted on coming over last night to celebrate the baby's birthday with a cake and candles. Then insisted we eat a slice of cake on the baby's behalf - the whole works. Then she insisted on the three of us taking pictures to send to the baby showing the birthday cake, etc. Obviously it wasn't for the baby as much as for the grandparents and mother .... but, really.

The whole situation was so surreal not to mention manipulative. Have you ever heard of this? This was like something out of the Adams Family.

Your thoughts.
We want to know! We want to know!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post

Your thoughts.
That sounds a little odd, especially since the baby will be there next month. Why not celebrate then? Weird.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,675,028 times
Its really for the family. The baby has no clue as to what is going on and why and won't remember a thing from it.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:54 PM

865 posts, read 2,066,174 times
A little over the top and unnecessary, esp. since they'll be there in a month. But I guess the one sis was just excited and wanted to send the other sis a big family "we're thinking of you" kinda thing.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:56 PM

7,001 posts, read 18,172,150 times
Damn Latin Americans and their wierd stuff. Wait, I am Latin American!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

34,594 posts, read 42,755,715 times
You allowed her to decide what would be taking place in your own house, so what are WE supposed to do to help you? What does your husband think of what his sister did? Are you Latin also? Are you not up on the cultural differences? We need more info.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Whoa Nelly!

I misread the post. They came over without the baby? WTF is that??? If I were you I would have just said to everyone "this is just weird, I'm outta here."

How the heck do you have a party for someone but leave that person out???

Too friggen weird for me and yes I'd tell them that myself.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Damn Latin Americans and their wierd stuff. Wait, I am Latin American!
It is better to Darn yourself then to Damn yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
No. I've never heard of this. I believe normally one would just send a birthday card or present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships