Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,859,917 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, but what do you all consider a friend?

To me, a friend is someone who:

1. Comes over a lot (or at least once a week or so).

2. Is always there if you need them.

3. Calls you at least 1 or 2 times a week (or more).

4. Loves doing the same things you do.

5. Will never leave you, even if something in their life changed.

Well, I thought I had a friend (I won't mention his name). We met back in 2008 and I thought for sure he would be a great friend to be around with. We went bowling, ate out, and that's about it. He's a great Christian guy, but something recently changed on him and he never wants to see me again, he told me in the last few hours recently.

So, now I have problems hanging out with Christian people anymore (I don't know what I believe in anymore). But obviously, he's another one of those "backstabbing" Christians that I have experienced before and seen on T.V. also. So, I let him go and I hope I never hear from him again.

So, I have a problem trusting people anymore. So, I don't know what to consider a friend or just an acquaintance anymore. Give me some advice...Thanks... What do you consider a friend?

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-29-2010 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM

694 posts, read 1,229,017 times
A friend is one who does not make demands.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
To me, a friend is someone who:

1. Comes over a lot (or at least once a week or so). Nope, DH & kids come first, Plus a fulltime job, a good friend realizes this.

2. Is always there if you need them. Yes

3. Calls you at least 1 or 2 times a week (or more). Good idea but sometimes life gets in the way & a good friend understands this.

4. Loves doing the same things you do. Why? Why not a good friend opens your life to different things..

5. Will never leave you, even if something in their life changed. Yes, & trust is a big part of this..

He's a great Christian guy, but something recently changed on him and he never wants to see me again, he told me in the last few hours recently.

So, now I have problems hanging out with Christian people anymore (I don't know what I believe in anymore). But obviously, he's another one of those "backstabbing" Christians that I have experienced before and seen on T.V. also. So, I let him go and I hope I never hear from him again.

So, I have a problem trusting people anymore. So, I don't know what to consider a friend or just an acquaintance anymore. Give me some advice...Thanks... What do you consider a friend?
Wow~That must have been a big something!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Don't get the wrong idea, we were only FRIENDS. We never had sex, went to each other's houses, or anything like that. Never kissed or hugged. Just friends. And think that's possible with a man and woman. No doubt.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Well, he said he's getting married next month and his soon-to-be wife is a very jealous type of woman. OMG! Sounds like my ex.

I've hungout with married folks before and they didn't mind. I don't see why we can't still be friends and maybe all 3 of us can hangout sometime down here. But he says he can't anymore and won't. Whatever. I don't understand Arizona folks much. But I guess it's everywhere else too, don't know.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
A friend is one who does not make demands.

I've never made demands. He's the one who doesn't want to see or hear from me again. So, I'm like, "okay, whatever".

Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM

694 posts, read 1,229,017 times
Quote:
I've never made demands. He's the one who doesn't want to see or hear from me again. So, I'm like, "okay, whatever".
So let it be okay.
You'll make more friends.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,630,067 times
I'm just guessing but, as a male, Christian, my guess is. He has met a young lady who is more than a friend and she is uncomfortable with him having a close friendship with a member of the opposite sex. If you two have kept your relationship from becoming romantic you have accomplished something most people can't do. Before writing him and Christianity off I would find out what "something" is.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,333,216 times
Quote:
Don't get the wrong idea, we were only FRIENDS. We never had sex, went to each other's houses, or anything like that. Never kissed or hugged. Just friends. And think that's possible with a man and woman. No doubt.
Hmmm,I am not so sure about that. At some point most male/female relationship will shift to something sexual. The problem with this is to remain the same limits the friendship and changing seems to put deadlines on the next step in the friendship. I wonder if your friend had expectations you did not, and thus let the relationship drift apart.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,941,923 times
I've had plenty of non-romantic friendships with males. It's all about boundaries. My closest friends are male.

First, I would say blaming this guy's issue on christianity it silly. There are some nasty people out there who claim to be christian, but are the farthest thing from it. People also have different ideas of what a christian should be, so...who knows.

He made a choice for his life. It sucks, I know, I have been there. Making yourself angry about it is really only affecting you. You're angry with him, but you're punishing yourself - not only by being miserable about the situation, but by cutting out the possibility of having other "christian" friends who might be wonderful people.

It seems as though you thought he was a wonderful person at one time. If that's the case, why turn so fast on him? People make mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships