U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM

76 posts, read 245,907 times

Advertisements

My dad will drop by whenever he feels like it, without calling first. I've asked him time and time again to call first but he never does. Is there a way that I can ask him politely to make plans ahead of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog77 View Post
My dad will drop by whenever he feels like it, without calling first. I've asked him time and time again to call first but he never does. Is there a way that I can ask him politely to make plans ahead of time?
I just don't answer the door. My doorbell is dismantled and with the 3 dogs barking at other people walking down the street with their dogs I can't tell if it's someone on the street or on my front porch. Since my mom is not an animal lover she rarely comes over without calling.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,320,496 times
My in-laws did that a lot. We lived a few miles from them, and they'd just drop by when they were out and about. They wouldn't knock either, just walk in. We started locking the front door but were too chicken to confront them about it, and they never did get the hint. We moved 2000 miles away ... that showed 'em.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,180,495 times
Dont answer the door!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,597,840 times
Quote:
First time he walks in on something that he shouldn`t, maybe he will call next time, huh?
I`ll never forget my MIL`s face, when she walked in on something that she shouldn`t! She just closed the door behind her, and left!

I would say just to stress to him that its important to you, that he let you know when he`s stopping by.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Dont answer the door!
He would know I'm home with my car parked outside

Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My in-laws did that a lot. We lived a few miles from them, and they'd just drop by when they were out and about. They wouldn't knock either, just walk in. We started locking the front door but were too chicken to confront them about it, and they never did get the hint. We moved 2000 miles away ... that showed 'em.
Sometimes I think moving is a good solution lol but maybe not that far

Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,463,638 times
My parent's learned to call first when they found my naked in my backyard sun tanning a few years ago. Boy was that an awkward situation.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,758,083 times
Quote:
He would know I'm home with my car parked outside
Sorry I didn't hear you I was in the shower, I had a headset on, I was in the basement which is why you need to call me before you come over....any number of things can justify not anwering the door. Or grab your car keys when you answer and say sorry I was just on my way out - you need to call before you stop over.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,866,749 times
My ex-husband had a brother who would do this to us - and then later report to the mother-in-law. Then a week or so later, my mother-in-law would call my ex-husband up on the phone and ask him questions about things she knew nothing about, yet things that my husband and the BIL had discussed when the BIL had rudely come over early in the mornings.

My ex-husband was too chicken to confront him and ask him not to do this. In addition to coming over unannounced (and at 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning, I kid you not; he said his kids "woke him up"), he would walk around my house eyeballing everything we had and just start opening kitchen cabinets and looking at the contents within.

Me and the ex-husband had many arguments about this, over and over and over again. My ex-husband didn't have the cojones to tell him to stop. We didn't owe this brother any money nor did he pay any of our bills or anything of that nature.

This brother-in-law got one of the top billing spots in my divorce pleadings. I hope my ex-husband told him about that.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 02-14-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships