U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
As you get older, family will get more important to you. I'm actually close to mine - it's important to ME and I love all my sibs but for different reasons - we're all so different but that's what makes it interesting. You come into each other's lives at different times, it seems.

My husband has no one (other than my family) and it's really lonely for him - count your blessings if you have family!
I am very close to my little bro and sister. The oldest bro is a half brother and he lives in Texas. We don't speak often just I think because of distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM

5,879 posts, read 7,687,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I know alot of people who spend alot of time in friendly social engagements with their brothers and sisters but do not really have anything in common except they are family. If that same person was not related they would not have anything to say to each other and would surely not be friendly.

Are you sociable with your brothers and sisters? If so, is it because he or she is family or do you really enjoy their company?
I would hope so, we are twins and share a eerie like thinking (whatever you want to call it)! She knows stuff about me that I don't have to tell her just from body language and I do the same with her. It has been like that since we were very young! She said things about my GF's that I didn't see and I said thing about her BF's she didn't see! It is very weird and we still can't figure it out. I knew I liked my BIL the first time I met him and that he was going to be my BIL before she even did I think.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM

254 posts, read 358,772 times
I have a little brother and he is totally an awesome human being. We have tons in common and are very similar people. I guess its the way we were raised.
We were best friends growing up, in fact our family was very tight knit...my parents had a great sense of humor and passed that on to my brother and I. Even when my brother and I moved away we would still drive home and stay with our parents because we missed them so much.
After my father died we all kind of drifted apart, it seemed like he was the glue holding us together even though the drifting apart was more due to life situations. My mom, brother and I are still very close even though we hardly ever get to see each other because we are all in different parts of the country.
I am so glad I'm having my first child soon, because my mom and my brother are coming to visit in August and it will be the first time we have all been together in 2 or 3 years.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,070,661 times
I admire those of you who have very close bonds with your siblings. I'm the oldest of three. We're only within 3 years of each other in age. Even with that tightness, I guess we just have differences in personalities. Supposedly, I'm the jerk of all of us--but that's because I got tired of being asked for money, asked to do this, asked to do that, but any other time I never heard from them. It actually is very hurtful to have that type of relationship. They are very close to each other and do things together. I don't know how I became the black sheep (that's the way I feel), but I'm working on developing a stronger dynamic with each of them. We live in 3 different states, but we're not very far apart at all.

I've learned that age really does bring people closer. I've become a lot closer to my mother over the past year as she got very sick and we were all stressed/scared over that. She made a full recovery. When life happens, you learn to appreciate each other--and that's what I'm making an effort to do.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
My sister is 10 years younger than me and we weren't raised together, and yet we are super close. We would totally be friends if we weren't related.

I would also be friends with my BIL and SIL if we weren't related by marriage. They are awesome, loving, fun people.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler

Are you sociable with your brothers and sisters? If so, is it because he or she is family or do you really enjoy their company?
I have a brother and a sister and I do not get along with my sister very well,she doesnt like me and she has two dogs who obviously have picked up her sense that she doesnt like me.... BOTH DO NOT LIKE ME.... Growl @ me,etc..........

I firmly believe dogs,etc can sense how thier master feels about someone AND THEY ACT THE SAME TOWARDS THEM.... (I hate her dogs with a passion.... ONE OF THEM WE ARE STUCK WITH HERE AS SHE ABANDONEND HER AND GOT ANOTHER ONE.. (A chawaula)) At least the little chawaula lets me pet her sometimes when she is in her cage,etc.....

My brother I get along with and he has dogs also and I of them I have met (JACK) and he is a sweet dog.... He loves me so much.. Now my brother has 2 dogs and I sitll havent met the 2nd one..... I miss my brother......

Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM

886 posts, read 355,681 times
I'm friends with my brother and sister because I genuinely like and respect them.

We all text each other nearly every day although we're all grown, married, and live in separate states.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:30 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,382,449 times
I am not friends with my sister because she's a gossip and delights in trashing people.

The backstory: I grew up with a cousin who is two years younger because my mother parked me at my aunt's house quite a bit. Even though the cousin and I don't see each other often, we have a deep bond.

Last year my sister texted me all excited because she had just heard the latest about my cousin, who has had a troubled life. I don't want to discuss the particulars but he lost one child tragically and his marriage has been stressed several times to the breaking point.

This time she wanted to tell me about something tawdry. I could tell she was winding up. So I texted back, "I don't want to hear it. I love M. and I always will, so whatever you were going to say, keep it to yourself."

Apart from one last communication, which severed our relationship permanently as far as I'm concerned, that's the last time I talked to her. I have no intention of ever speaking to her again. I'm done.

I should have done it years ago.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:36 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
I try to be friends with my sister as much as we can despite being totally different. We talk about once a week. I envy people who are best friends with their sibling, I really miss having such a close connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or