Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I am waiting till I have money or a job lined up first.

I could leave tonight if I wanted to, but I would not get a job in time before the money I have NOW would run out

I am waiting to hear back from a potential job right now, if I get it I can leave real soon, if not, Ill have to wait longer. Im praying I get the job real soon!
Lots of us are pulling for you - and I suspect many, as I, are praying for you as well. Please keep us informed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM

63 posts, read 149,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
So, you do not pay all your own bills. Look at how much rent and utilies would be if you got your own place because it seems like you don't really have an idea how much those things cost. But definetly do it if you can afford it!
OP can rent a room from a house till OP can afford to get own place. It is better to get away form the negative familyl environment.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Define toxic. Room and board for a pack of cigs? For a town that Obama is trashing?

One can run from problems for another $9 per job or use the current condition to better themselves for the long run. If he runs he'll likely be set for a lifetime of the same.
No, he is not. You are making him sound like he is running like a loser. Sometimes, there is no choice but to run from toxic people. If he is much older, may be he won't need to go away to another state but in his case, he should.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:01 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Yes, very much so. You have to do what's best for you.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
To be honest after reading some of your earlier threads I didn't have a very high opinion of you based on what you were saying but now I realize that you've been going through some very difficult situations that would be difficult for anyone and I would also like to add my voice of support. I think you need to get out of that destructive environment because it's causing you harm in ways that you might not even realize. The family situation sounds like it's never going to get better and things are likely going to go downhill for you the longer you're in the middle of it.
Here's my advice. Make the move but be extremely practical especially in terms of finances. Another person recommended that you should further your education and I think that's a good idea but if you're doing it on your own it won't be easy but it can be done. The sooner you make this happen the better off you're going to be but be prepared to really hustle and do everything you can to create a better life for yourself. I sincerely wish you good luck.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda777 View Post
No, he is not. You are making him sound like he is running like a loser. Sometimes, there is no choice but to run from toxic people. If he is much older, may be he won't need to go away to another state but in his case, he should.
No; to me he sounds as if running for a new start in life. . . which is fine. But let's not kid him; $9/hr alone across country is going to be rough.

But my advice was that he'd be better off taking advantage of his current situation and better himself for the long term. At 20 his whole life is ahead of him and frankly, his day-to-day life isn't any worse than renting a room off strangers.

Whatever he chooses, best of luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
No; to me he sounds as if running for a new start in life. . . which is fine. But let's not kid him; $9/hr alone across country is going to be rough.
Where did he say that that's what he's going to get? That's his current rate in FL. That's what I remember anyway.

Quote:
But my advice was that he'd be better off taking advantage of his current situation and better himself for the long term.
If the OP can manage to do that, then fine but if the OP feels the need to be away from them, it'd be good to just go even if within the same state. Doors will open in the new place. One good thing about CA is that at the two year college level there is Board of Governor's tuiton fee waiver for eligible ones. Pell grant is another option but I don't know all the detail. It'd be good to work in an environment where OP can get paid under the table (tips or whatever) and use BOG and/or Pell Grant to go to school. One has to be evry discipline to egt teh education and also work. I think that OP should aim at getting education and work part-time. Sure, you do not need college degree to make it in life but trsut me that college degree will not be a waste if it is a useful one. I mean, don't expect to find a job with a BA in history or sociology.

Quote:
At 20 his whole life is ahead of him and frankly, his day-to-day life isn't any worse than renting a room off strangers.

Whatever he chooses, best of luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,980,819 times
Yes, definitly get away from your family. Don`t give them another dime. Your family will most likely never change. You are not running away from them just because you leave. You`re saving your own sanity. They are toxic and will only bring you down with them.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,711,791 times
I'd get out and go, as soon as I could. You're young, seem to have thought this all through, so just go. As far as education, as someone mentioned there are schools in Nevada. You'd probably be best off working hard and talking to people in the business about what sort of degree or coursework you'd need for certain advancements (or even if it's necessary). Who knows, if you're smart and do good work, you might get yourself some financial assistance. If you're unhappy, there's no point in wasting your time while you have another more attractive option. Besides, you said that you'd like the new job better anyway.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
OP-You have a good head on your shoulders. Go to Vegas!! You need it for your own sanity. Leave your toxic family behind. DO NOT bring anyone with you or return!!! I wish you lots of luck. Head to bartending school. It's probably about $400 for about 2 weeks (give or take) and then you'll make great money out there!! Also, why not look into firefighting???? Great career and you're young enough to get in there!! Keep up posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships