Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:01 AM

11,376 posts, read 24,373,503 times

Advertisements

Sort of like what we're finding here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,076,608 times
Well, if my pond were on your border--it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Sort of like what we're finding here?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,298,813 times
I think a good solid friendship can happen in your life at any time. Now time will put the quality of that friendship to the test. I don't have very many friends I grew up with...maybe 2 outside a close familial relationship. However, as an adult during my first year of law school I met my very best friend for life-no one could ever come between us friend. I still remember the very first time we met. We were like long lost sibblings. Many years have passed. She means more to me than any blood relations. I would walk through fire if it meant saving her. The bond is so deep...I am on her side right or wrong. She is my sister and the beauty of the whole thing is she feels the same way about me too. I can call on her any time I need her and I am safe to be vunderable and so is she. We have seperate lives of course, but we both value that bond...it has taken us through a lot over the years. Sisterhood is very powerful. I don't know if this level of friendship is possible with a man or best friends of the opposit sex. If I came across a man that good I am sure I would marry him. I do have a couple of male friends I am very fond of and I would do anything I could do to help them within reason. I think romantic involvement is always a possibility among male/female friendship, so the partners of those good friends will probably always be a little suspicious or uncomfortable

Old 06-16-2007, 12:47 PM

923 posts, read 3,508,506 times
Red face Your "Shroud of Secrecy"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
We've talked a great deal, and according to the Administrator, about 169 times about relationships.

I'd be interested in your view (that is any of the 104,000 members) of a good, solid friendship that is equal to or perhaps even exceeds a relationship with a sexual partner (married or not).

I've had several, both female and male, and consider these friendships the creme de la creme of a well-lived, well rounded (see well-rounded thread for more details) life.
Why does the OP always talk in the "Third Person" and always "Gender Neutral"...?Is it because you possess No Sex???

Expose Thyself!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Is this on topic? Or should you post your question in the thread about sexual identity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Why does the OP always talk in the "Third Person" and always "Gender Neutral"...?Is it because you possess No Sex???

Expose Thyself!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 PM

923 posts, read 3,508,506 times
Smile ??

Quote:
Is this on topic? Or should you post your question in the thread about sexual identity?
???>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 PM

36,371 posts, read 15,972,946 times
Well OTR, I wasn't even going to click on this thread until I saw that you posted it. I love your wittyness, intelligence and you are a "well rounded" person.

I have had some very close friends, M. Scott Peck wrote, it's extremely hard to maintain even one good relationship and I agree with him. I am single and work all the time and don't go to bars. I have many acquaintances, from work and the coffee place, but the only friend I have really maintained is my ex-sister-in-law who lives in California and we have been friends since 1981.

Even though we don't email often, like once a week or so, it's more like once a month, she is still the one I trust with my stuff..I see her when I go to Ca to see my daughter and she was the one I told first when my Mom died a month ago.

Good friends are very hard to find and people really need to evaluate whether the persons they are calling friends are truly friends or not. For me it's few and far between.

Thanks OTR
Terry

Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 PM

11,376 posts, read 24,373,503 times
Quote:
Well, if my pond were on your border--it would work.
I was rather hoping you were up at Walden.

But no, I was thinking that many of us have formed friendships out of some common interest that brought us to C-D in the first place.

There are different levels of friendships and some of those that are less intimate, like those we find here, still have value in filling our need to communicate.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Well, I may be close to Walden, and when I am settled, you'll get an invitation.

And, I agree that "many of us" have formed friendships here at CD. Thanks for the gentle and kind reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I was rather hoping you were up at Walden.

But no, I was thinking that many of us have formed friendships out of some common interest that brought us to C-D in the first place.

There are different levels of friendships and some of those that are less intimate, like those we find here, still have value in filling our need to communicate.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks for those undeserved compliments! I'm glad you stopped by to share your view of friendship.. I agree that too many friends may be more or mere aquaintances, but friends are worth their weight in gold.

Which Peck book are you referring to, btw. I believe I read two of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Well OTR, I wasn't even going to click on this thread until I saw that you posted it. I love your wittyness, intelligence and you are a "well rounded" person.

I have had some very close friends, M. Scott Peck wrote, it's extremely hard to maintain even one good relationship and I agree with him. I am single and work all the time and don't go to bars. I have many acquaintances, from work and the coffee place, but the only friend I have really maintained is my ex-sister-in-law who lives in California and we have been friends since 1981.

Even though we don't email often, like once a week or so, it's more like once a month, she is still the one I trust with my stuff..I see her when I go to Ca to see my daughter and she was the one I told first when my Mom died a month ago.

Good friends are very hard to find and people really need to evaluate whether the persons they are calling friends are truly friends or not. For me it's few and far between.

Thanks OTR
Terry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships