U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 AM

921 posts, read 785,992 times
Default Death wish for family-stupid man

I once read of a father who who didn't stop his car at a railway crossing with a train coming. He died with four of his family members (wife and three kids). I didn't follow up on the story but don't believe it was suicide-murder. To the fathers here, why would anyone do such a thing?

This is my first thread, folks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 12,215,640 times
Stress and the overwhelming feeling of being hopeless.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM

33,513 posts, read 5,961,448 times
Some drivers are just incredibly stupid and careless at RR crossings. At a crossing a few miles from my office, there were four car-versus-train crashes last year, three of them fatal. There are flashing lights AND gates at the crossing, yet people go around them all the time. Frequently, when I pass through the intersection which is near that crossing, I see people going around the gates. I've even seen cops do it. There are three sets of tracks there. Unbelievable, that people are so stupid.

What a sad, sad story about the family referenced in your OP.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,215,687 times
Weird that you made this thread. Just yesterday I was thinking about this girl I used to work with. Her mother did kinda the same thing to her and her sister, only they survived and her mom died.

She picked them up from school, my friend recalls her mom telling them not to put their seatbelts on, got on the freeway going the wrong way and plowed into a semi.

I guess she was talking all kinds of crazy **** that they'd be together forever.

She was mentally ill and was afraid her ex-husband was going to win custody of the kids, from what I understand that was her reasoning.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

921 posts, read 785,992 times
It was and still is. There was no indication of his car being stuck on the tracks, he simply sped across ! I mean, if was a toilet situation, they could have done it in the car, right ? I somehow think he was a control freak brute . I can just imagine his wife screaming ''STOP, STOP and the husband with a malicious grin on his face !!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM

12,408 posts, read 9,392,083 times
Things like that are on the news fairly often. I always wonder why, if someone is so distraught, they have to shoot their whole family before turning the gun on themselves.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,473,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
why, if someone is so distraught, they have to shoot their whole family before turning the gun on themselves.
If my acquaintance story could be a bit of explanation "why" (not justification), -- her husband committed suicide while she was pregnant and with a 7yo. In his farewell note, he expressed he trusted her to raise good people out of their kids. She said if he were alive, she'd killed him for leaving her like that. Before that, this family had high hopes as the husband was in his doctor residency already. After the suicide, she had to get a job and take 3 buses there, - which wouldn't have been a problem if she didn't get struck by a car at a crosswalk, - she had to go to work while pregnant, on crutches, on 3 buses. Her life eventually improved, but the blow undoubtedly was there, as well as for the 7yo daughter and for the boy who will never know his father. Maybe people in a twisted way want to spare that their families. (again, not justifying!)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM

24,154 posts, read 24,556,416 times
I just can't even begin to comprehend.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 2,399,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I just can't even begin to comprehend.
Exactly. If you have a rational (and dare I say, sane) mind, it's hard to imagine why someone would want to do that.

Incredibly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships