Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:56 PM

147 posts, read 296,617 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to give up on her yet. I still believe she can change, but like I said I won't be surprised if she doesn't. I have my own life to live. I no longer let her bring me down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Have you ever had to "say goodbye" or back away from a "toxic" friend? How did it go? .....Did you feel mean or guilty at first for cutting things off?..... Did it take you a long time to realize or admit that the relationship wasn't always "healthy" for you? It's time for me to walk away from someone now and it's definitely not easy....but it's what I have to do to bring more "sanity" into my life.
Oftentimes, it within your very own family with a Parent or a Sibling where youve got to establish a boundary regarding toxicity while still letting them know you love them but cant keep on getting sucked in to whatever the negative-healthy thing happens to be
. Its quite a challenge sometimes .

Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Interesting topic. I backed off from what seemed like very good friendship about a year ago when a series of events with this person finally opened my eyes.

She was spontaneous and fun and witty, but she was also pathologically self-involved and emotionally unstable (something she would never own up to and wouldn't seek help for). Most of our friendship was built on me pulling her off the pitty pot, trying to bolster her self esteem and helping her through an endless series of ordeals.

What drove me to end it was that it was so one-sided. She was incapable of giving back, and I decided -- after nearly 10 years -- that I didn't have any more energy to expend.

I don't feel guilty - only relieved.
Dang, do I work with that girl???

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
I think my friend might be secretly jealous and envious of me...Sometimes I can be pretty naive when it comes to recognizing all of the "signs."

Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,604 times
I had to do that with my best friend from high school. It wasn't easy, but there was a sense of relief that when I realized that I didn't have to deal with her volatility anymore.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I had to do this about 8 yrs ago. My situation is complicated because I married my best friend's brother.

My friendship with her was actually winding down but my relationship with her brother was starting to bud. It was really hard on me because I loved my boyfriend aka husband but I did not want to make my toxic friend family. I had a long engagement for 5 years trying to figure it all out. Eventually I got married and I have been with my husband for over 14 yrs now. We are very happy. But 8 yrs ago I finally couldnt take the crap anymore. My former friend aka SIL started a lot of unnecessary crap with me and within the family. She has issues and it eventually caused enough problems that my husband doesnt speak to her anymore either. I decided 8 yrs ago that although she is family I do not need to be her friend too. I was done. Family get togethers are uncomfortable at times. Sometimes she is fake nice to me and other times she pretends I dont exist. I never really know what to expect when the family gets together.

Now with the great invention of facebook, I realized I am friends with people that are friends with my SIL. I feel I always need to be careful on anything I say on line. So things could be worse, you could be like me and end up being related to your toxic friend.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
I had someone who was toxic and yet clueless. She had social issues and no tact. One day I told her I could no longer be her friend because she hurt people around me I cared about. I simply said "do not call me, e-mail me or look my way. If I ran into her or was near her in a group I just pretended she was invisible. It worked although she has managed to alienate 3-4 more "friends" since I bailed! I don't regret eliminating her from my life. No drama YAY!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
Quote:
Have you ever had to "say goodbye" or back away from a "toxic" friend? How did it go? .....Did you feel mean or guilty at first for cutting things off?..... Did it take you a long time to realize or admit that the relationship wasn't always "healthy" for you? It's time for me to walk away from someone now and it's definitely not easy....but it's what I have to do to bring more "sanity" into my life.
Yes, I've been there before Not an easy thing to do by wow, what a difference afterwards. I've posted this elsewhere on here before and I truly believe it: Toxic friendships can only go so long before they start poisoning you.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:09 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Another thread on toxic friends or friendships which have run their course.

Either you cut them off radically, with one sharp blow; or, you gradually "divorce" them. You stop returning their calls, or take longer and longer to call them back. If they ever manage to get a hold of you on the phone, either be cold outright or give vague answers and never commit to hanging out.

You say you have something planned this Friday and Saturday and Sunday and just state that you're busy.

Eventually most folks will understand that you do not wish to spend time with them, and they will leave you alone.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Another thread on toxic friends or friendships which have run their course.

Either you cut them off radically, with one sharp blow; or, you gradually "divorce" them. You stop returning their calls, or take longer and longer to call them back. If they ever manage to get a hold of you on the phone, either be cold outright or give vague answers and never commit to hanging out.

You say you have something planned this Friday and Saturday and Sunday and just state that you're busy.

Eventually most folks will understand that you do not wish to spend time with them, and they will leave you alone.
This is what I've done with a friend of mine. She's still a "friend" on Facebook but that's it. We no longer speak on the phone, and when I'm in her city on business I don't tell her, and don't see her. She just got to be too much to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships