Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Most marriages that I have seen where couples went on seperate vacations or went out with their single friends on a regular basis have ended in divorce. You HAVE to make your marriage more important than your life with your friends or it won't last. It really is that simple. And...I didn't say you couldn't have friendships with single people. It's just that the husband/wife relationship HAS to come first. If my single friends don't like my husband, that's their issue. I would chose my husband in a heartbeat.
In those instances the separation is probably an excuse for an escape from the marriage, if only for a day or weekend. If that's the case, then the marriage is in trouble from other reasons and not because of the people they hang with.

I've seen relationships (mine included) where the people will take down time to deal with things like work stress. They have the consideration for their mate to not want to dump that on them; there's not much your mate can do but be sympathetic when you've had a rotten work week - and maybe they have as well; so you head out with friends for a long lunch, limited retail therapy, or a weekend away. In those case, it is beneficial to the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
I think mancation is a stupid term.

As far as the wife goes, i know many women friends who abhor the idea of their husbands meeting up with friends that he had pre-wife. Of course she feels out of place; she has no idea what they are talking about, doesnt "get" the inside jokes or remembers fun times. She also sees her husband fondly remembering times that she was not part of So she gets pissed and feels left out.

Im sure the guys exchange pleasantries with her. But then go back to talking about old times and since she wasnt part of them she doesnt care about them and wonders why her husband cares since "that was then."

If my husband was meeting a few times a year or whatever with old college friends i would stay home knowing full well that i have no stories to share with these people and i wouldnt want my husband to think he had to entertain me. Let him go out with the friends and have a great time for goodness sake.

Sorry for any typos. I am getting used to the ipad keyboard.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Let me also add that this woman has pulled stunts like:

* Guilting Bob into not going away for a mancation with all of us.
* Forbids Bob from talking about "the good old days" in college. She's get's too "depressed" because she wasn't there with us to partake in the conversations".
* Will make Bob take her home early from a function because she's bored.

Ugh, I am getting nauseous just thinking about this Debbie Downer.
Your friend has been totally, completely dominated and p-whipped by his wife.

Maybe he should stand up to her and be a man again.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
You and seeniorita should have your hubbies go away together and the two of you paint the town red.
We live in the same state. It's a possibility!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Hi forum,

I need to get this off my chest, so here it goes.

I have two very dear friends from college (they're brothers). We were roommates for three years and were basically inseparable. Let's call them Mike and Bob.

We all graduated and moved on with our lives but always kept in contact with one another until one of the siblings got married. Since this marriage, he ceased to keep in touch (except when we all get together for a little reunion), and his wife, being the black hole that she is, acts depressed when all of the roommates get together to take a stroll down memory lane. It gets so bad that she goes into another room and he chases after her to make sure she is OK. Have I mentioned I hate this woman with a passion?

The other sibling and I are still very close, although there are cracks starting to show in the friendship. Now, he knows I hate his brothers wife but it has never stopped us from getting together for the occasional cookout or gathering until a few months ago where Mike let it slip that Bob doesn't understand why he has to come up to visit and he doesn't understand why I just cant go to South Jersey to visit (I've gone down there countless times to see them).

I am getting the feeling that since I no longer make an effort to keep in touch with Bob, Mike will feel awkward and end our friendship as well.

Is my gut feeling right on this? Would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
DJC
My secretary just finished reading this post and she said her "GAYDAR" went off. That certainly could explain a few things!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Growing up is hard and maybe you're not ready for it. You could grow a pair yourself and have a sober, adult conversation with your friend and his wife about how you feel. Maybe then you all could come to an understanding?

Yeah, that sounds impossible, doesn't it?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Growing up is hard and maybe you're not ready for it. You could grow a pair yourself and have a sober, adult conversation with your friend and his wife about how you feel. Maybe then you all could come to an understanding?
Actually, I think that sounds like a recipe for killing the friendship.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
He doesn't have to tell the wife he hates her. And it sounds to me like the friendship is on its way out, anyway.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
He doesn't have to tell the wife he hates her. And it sounds to me like the friendship is on its way out, anyway.
I'm sure the wife already knows he hates her. Women have this "intuition" thing, ya know?

Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I think mancation is a stupid term.

As far as the wife goes, i know many women friends who abhor the idea of their husbands meeting up with friends that he had pre-wife. Of course she feels out of place; she has no idea what they are talking about, doesnt "get" the inside jokes or remembers fun times. She also sees her husband fondly remembering times that she was not part of So she gets pissed and feels left out.

Im sure the guys exchange pleasantries with her. But then go back to talking about old times and since she wasnt part of them she doesnt care about them and wonders why her husband cares since "that was then."

If my husband was meeting a few times a year or whatever with old college friends i would stay home knowing full well that i have no stories to share with these people and i wouldnt want my husband to think he had to entertain me. Let him go out with the friends and have a great time for goodness sake.

Sorry for any typos. I am getting used to the ipad keyboard.
Get a wireless keyboard and turn bluetooth on

$74.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships