Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: slower, smaller southern city, sleepy place, growth corridor, retirees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,208 times

Advertisements

I love North Carolina! I live here because I love it - a slower, smaller southern city without all the negatives that a big city has. If you want that - look at Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles. These are big cities in the south that offer big city life!!

Please don't come to a beautiful quiet sleepy place with the intention of changing it to what you are trying to leave. I moved here from the North in 1979 for totally different reasons and I have never looked back - I am a Southerner and very glad of it! That is what we want here - Southerners who value our way of life!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,645,953 times
They are coming in droves, sorry to say, the more people hype this place up the better it looks to people. we are leaving but we are from oregon not NY

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM

152 posts, read 476,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunface
I love North Carolina! I live here because I love it - a slower, smaller southern city without all the negatives that a big city has. If you want that - look at Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles. These are big cities in the south that offer big city life!!

Please don't come to a beautiful quiet sleepy place with the intention of changing it to what you are trying to leave. I moved here from the North in 1979 for totally different reasons and I have never looked back - I am a Southerner and very glad of it! That is what we want here - Southerners who value our way of life!!
What were the reasons you left the North to go South?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM

954 posts, read 4,371,881 times
Default Typical

Quote:

First, I really don't think you have much to worry about if you genuinely live in the sleepy quite place. Most of the growth is happening in the larger areas in the growth corridor of the piedmont. I don't think you can really call Raleigh and Greensboro or Charlotte etc., quite and sleepy. My mom lives in Marion, and the place hasn't changed since I used to go there as a kid (except the Walmart Mart, that killed the down town). Those kind of places will see a few retirees, but not really the mass numbers.
Funny, that when I lived in Eastern NC, they didn't like the Yankees coming in, but they liked the better paying jobs that they brought down with them as large company's moved manufacturing plants down.
I am glad that you like where you live. Nothing worse than living in a place you really don't like. I did it in NC for 12 years.
You'll be glad to know this is one Northerner that won't be polluting your idyllic Southern Culture anymore.
PS-No I am not originally a New Yorker. So before you jump on that, I was born and raised in the Midwest.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM

311 posts, read 617,596 times
Quote:

I agree completely....anyone is welcome to enjoy life/culture as we know it...don't try to change it. (good article along these lines in the N & O yesterday).
You came here, became a Southerner by choice and I am happy for you!
You are also correct in thinking that the quiet, sleepy places will change with the influx of large numbers. I live near a "bedroom town" that was a very quiet, sleepy place but you would never know it now by the population and traffic that has happened over the past few years. Clayton is about 20-30 minutes out of Raleigh but the traffic is definitely a problem especially during work commutes. People want to live outside Raleigh so the rural life is fast disappearing. I know lots of people here have made the comment that our traffic is nothing compared to where they lived originally, but for us, it is a big change. Its like comparing apples and oranges.
At any rate, welcome....

Old 08-07-2006, 02:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,565,049 times
Quote:

Well, I can tell you for sure that this is one Northerner that has no intention on changing things. I am leaving to get away from what I had been used to up here. I am SOOO looking forward to the southern hospitality I hear so much about.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM

30 posts, read 75,619 times
My husband & I are looking to relocate to the "southern hospitality" state that NC has to offer however, we have been residing in Florida for 30 years and quite honestly are fed-up with all the growth and traffic nightmares. We are hoping to find a "bedroom community" where stores/restaurants are in close proximity and a slower pace of living. Also, it would have to be near the RDU airport but not to close...Any suggestions? Thanks...

Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 PM

954 posts, read 4,371,881 times
Knightdale or Zebulon.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 75,619 times
Thanks MHogan...will look into it..

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,849,419 times
Same that happen where I am. I live in the desert and we got city people that moved here to get away so they said to only find out they are changing the laws to their old ways they grew up with. Sad. But, it happen here. That's why were moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina