U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 AM

286 posts, read 1,530,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
But I really want my cat to return home he escaped last weekend in 1 1/2 minutes when I went out to shut off a hose and left the door open and hasn't come back since :*(
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he goes back home soon too. Be sure to check your local Humane Society/Animal Control. Somebody might have picked him up.

Last edited by Lehi; 08-08-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,860 times
I wonder how many people in NC are bird owners? We are coming to check out NC to see if it is the place for us at the end of the month. We have lots of animals, but we keep things interesting with a small dog, cat, bunny and 2 exotic birds. Based on the fact that there are only 5 avian vets in all of NC (compared to the 5 we have in San Diego county alone), I'm going to guess not many people out there have birds.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 PM

321 posts, read 1,419,623 times
I'm currently a petsitter in Georgia, but we are relocating to NC in the near future -- which is why I'm in the NC forum. By all means, use the link provided for petsitters and I'm sure you'll find somebody you love.

I also just want to comment to the original poster -- if you think there are a lot of homeless animals to help in NY, prepare yourself for 10+ times that many in the South! Not just NC, but all over. It is a terrible problem down here. There are many, many people in the South who love their animals and treat them like gold, but there are many who are content to have them as lawn ornaments, and they don't spay/neuter. Here in GA, the shelters are always full, and a lot of shelter dogs are actually transported up north to rescues.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM

463 posts, read 1,516,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R
I also just want to comment to the original poster -- if you think there are a lot of homeless animals to help in NY, prepare yourself for 10+ times that many in the South! Not just NC, but all over. It is a terrible problem down here. There are many, many people in the South who love their animals and treat them like gold, but there are many who are content to have them as lawn ornaments, and they don't spay/neuter. Here in GA, the shelters are always full, and a lot of shelter dogs are actually transported up north to rescues.
============

You've got that right. It is dang depressing. NC is not a good state for someone to move if they don't know their limits. Especially not to rural areas.

I knew it was bad, but the reality of all the dumped cats - it's so sad. My closest neighbor had about 9 and then a new pregnant female showed up and just had a litter. She ( the neighbor) has a really hard time turning an animal away and since our animal control facility doesn't have much of an adoption program, most of the animals there die in the charming gas chamber, so it's not like she can take them there. I'm helping her get them speutered. Two more females to go, one more male, and then when the kittens are old enough, they'll need to be done. At least there is a low cost spay /neuter clinic about 1/2 hour away.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2006 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM

603 posts, read 1,752,613 times
LoL.I am most definately not a hoarder.Im simply an animal lover Every single one of my animals are spayed/neutered,have all their shots and receive visits to the vet as often as needed.My house is probably much cleaner then people that have less or no animals.Constanly cleaning.Plus most of my dogs are small so its not so bad.I just hate when people mistake me loving my animals for not knowing when to stop taking them.Im at my limit now.And the 75% discount at work definately helps I know a woman that just moved down to sumter county SC who has way more dogs and cats then i do.So she obviously found a good area.We want to go to north carolina though(Me and my mother)The costs in NY are really ridiculous.Im hoping to become a liscenced Vet Tech soon.Im just having a real tough time finding out which part of NC to go to.

Thank you to the people who have helped so far.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 PM

603 posts, read 1,752,613 times
Im glad you do the right thing cassie.Many people up here dont care when they're told the animals will be PTS.They just keep catching them.Its bad up here too with the number of homeless animals.The shelter hasnt had enough room all summer long.

Last edited by dogcrazy; 08-08-2006 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Mhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Funny thing happened. We had a small portable pen that we were keeping some puppies in. One of our neighbors had a couple of Doberman who kept nosing around the pen. I went out back and fired a shotgun to scare them away. Apparently one of the pellets ricochet and hit one of the Doberman in the leg. Of course I felt awful and apologized and paid for the Vet visit.
When I told other neighbors what had happened and how bad I felt, almost every one of them said, "well the dog was on your property, you had a right to shoot him".
Different mind set.
I love Dobermans. They're extremely intelligent, loving loyal dogs. The neighbor to the left of me ( there's about 10 acres between us) has two of them. They've been over here several times. They are really nice dogs, but one has alreay been shot for being on someone's property. Same mindset.

It was nice of you to offer to pay the Vet bill for the one you accidentally injured. I'm glad you're enjoying New York too. Not the city for me, but I'm happy that you like it.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
I love Dobermans. They're extremely intelligent, loving loyal dogs. The neighbor to the left of me ( there's about 10 acres between us) has two of them. They've been over here several times. They are really nice dogs, but one has alreay been shot for being on someone's property. Same mindset.

It was nice of you to offer to pay the Vet bill for the one you accidentally injured. I'm glad you're enjoying New York too. Not the city for me, but I'm happy that you like it.
When we lived in NC I was a pastor. Well, the parsonage was next to the church and a great dumping ground for folks tired of their pets. My wife, who I tease as have a need to rescue (she is also an RN), used to rescue these strays and find most of them homes. We ended up being kind of a half-way house for wayward pets. They may have a shelter there now, but not at the time. It was pretty much a trip to the gas chamber if they got picked up at that time.
I had a friend back in MI where I grew up, who had two Dobermans. One was kind of a guard dog they kept with their landscaping equipment. The other, was a big baby. The only thing you had to worry about her was if she was going to lick you to death.
Yea, I can't say exactly why I love NYC, but it just kind of suits me somehow.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM

4,052 posts, read 6,397,744 times
My advice to any dog owner moving to NC is to make sure you have adequate fencing or other containment method. Never let you dog off a leash!
I have been here in NC for a year and a half. I have seen a practice here that I have never seen anywhere else. I have witnessed several incidents of drivers deliberately targeting animals on the roadway. They will run over any animal including dogs and cats. When I first saw this happening I thought I was just imagining the targeting, but after a while I realized that these people are going out of their way to injure or kill any animal on the road. After one horrible incident of a 4x4 running over a puppy I made a u-turn and got a picture of that truck clearing showing the license plate, (NC plate in case you are wondering). I went to the local police station and told the policeman on duty what had happened and showed him the pictures, (digital camera). He told me there was nothing he could do because there are no laws protecting stray animals. Since then I have learned that certain groups here pride themselves on killing animals on the roadway. They actually have scores for which kind of animal they kill. Pedigrees are the highest point value, then mutts, cats, rabbits, squirrels, etc. There are plenty of wild and stray animals to choose from as there seems to be a majority of unwanted animals just turned loose rather than being turned into an animal shelter for rescue. (I think most animal shelters and rescues ask for a donation).
There is a second practice that turns my stomach. Unwanted, usually old dogs, are just released to wander onto streets and roads in the hope that they will become targets. My neighbor tells me that is just the way it is down here.
In keeping with the subject of this post I strongly recommend a good fence for your dog and make sure you can lock any gates and keep them locked. Never let you dog out without a leash. Keep all cats inside unless tethered.
Don

Old 08-08-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Scc410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr410
I wonder how many people in NC are bird owners? We are coming to check out NC to see if it is the place for us at the end of the month. We have lots of animals, but we keep things interesting with a small dog, cat, bunny and 2 exotic birds. Based on the fact that there are only 5 avian vets in all of NC (compared to the 5 we have in San Diego county alone), I'm going to guess not many people out there have birds.
I have no idea how many bird owners there are, but there is an avian rescue here which would indicate to me that there are some, since there are birds in need of re-homing. It's in Kannapolis, north of Charlotte.

I found these Vets in an Internet search. I figured there would be some at NC State. I don't if these are the same ones you found.

http://www.toolady.com/vetrefer/stat...thcarolina.htm

I hope you enjoy your visit here! I lived in California, the Bay area, but that was quite a few years ago. I loved it, but didn't want to put down roots there. It was a great place to live and great fun when I was 20 something, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina