Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,668,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Lets try this again. We just voted in CONGRESS of the USA NOT to open any off shore drilling along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. Most of the oil under the worlds ground is under countries that do not like us, Ie Saudi arabia Iran venezula, etc... Then we have americans who continue to worship the sport that wastes fuel and drive all over the place because we have no First world railroads, yes americas rails are as bad as the old Soviet Union.

Gang no doom and gloom here just reality, we cannot go on and on with cheap fuel, and driving 15 mpg SUVs and no amount of biofuels are gonna get us out of 5 and 6 dollar a gallon gasoline in the next few years.

Yea enjoy your nascar, but you know what it really is.. Don't ya?
Oh yea remember we will have to keep those american troops in Iraq forever. Iran will take over the oil regions of Iraq the day we leave. Who is gonna stop them?
lol, I accept Nascar for reasons I already stated. Nascar is not the cause of
our so called lacking railroad. laughing here.

And is it not better to push positive first then work on the negative to not take too much away at once and causing everything off balance???? And in my opinion I feel that is surely what is going on.
I really do not have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

709 posts, read 929,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98stage2 View Post
Oh dear lord, I have just realized that my entire earlier post was an absolute waste of time...

Ladies and gentlemen, urbywan here is blaming all of America's oil problems, the war in Iraq included, on NASCAR.

Alright urbywan, I have my bowl of popcorn ready... please explain.
It is our love affair with the automobile. Nascar, come now you really think its that important?

15,218 posts, read 30,426,094 times
NASCAR is not the problem, just Jeff Gordon.

Jeff Gordon is why you are paying upwards of $3/gallon for gas. You may not know it, but he runs OPEC. Hugo Chavez is a big fan of No. 24.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 PM

154 posts, read 595,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Most of the oil under the worlds ground is under countries that do not like us, Ie Saudi arabia Iran venezula, etc... Then we have americans who continue to worship the sport that wastes fuel...
Yea enjoy your nascar, but you know what it really is.. Don't ya?
Oh yea remember we will have to keep those american troops in Iraq forever. Iran will take over the oil regions of Iraq the day we leave. Who is gonna stop them?

Uhhh, looks to me like you're blaming NASCAR.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,986 times
I am a NASCAR fan... not over the top nuts... but a fan. I am looking forward to being back in the south, because the last NASCAR race I attended was when I lived down here 20 years ago. The thought that ending NASCAR would have any significant effect on the oil supply is kind of comical. It always amazes me when people pick on something they don't understand and call it stupid. I don't have any data to back this up, but I would be willing to wager that way more fuel is consumed with people driving back and forth to go to play golf in a year, than is consumed by NASCAR races. And there is no shortage of people that think golf is stupid. Both NASCAR and golf are sports, and require an understanding of the sport to really "get it". When you understand the strategies and tactics of the sport, then it becomes much more interesting. Just like with any other sport, there are many benefits that come from it also.

Racing pushes the limits on automobile safety, and some of this is going to spill over into the cars we drive. As for fuel consumption, I don't know if they still do it, but there have been times in the past when NASCAR did limit the fuel each team could use in a race. I believe this was during the Carter years when the country was having lots of problems, fuel being one of them. I remember seeing the fuel supply tanks being tipped up so that they could get the last gallon out to finish the race. And NASCAR uses restrictor plates on some bigger tracks to limit speed, and this also limits fuel consumption at the same time.

Someone mentioned enthanol. I think that everyone always thinks of this as "renewable" an the panacia that will save the day. If the world suddenly started using all ethanol and no longer used any crude oil, what would this do to our food supply? There will not suddenly be this massive increase in farmland available to grow the materials to make it, and there will not suddenly be a massive increase in farmers to grow it. I follow drag racing too and I know that there are dangers with alcohol fuels... like it burns without a visible flame, so fires can be very dangerous.

As is usually the case, and organization like NASCAR is going to give back way more to offset what they are consuming than any average individual.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,801,404 times
Oil, Schmoil.

Where can I get a good milkshake in the Triangle, for pete's sake?

Come on, lighten up, people.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,668,954 times
This thread was started by a troll. So don't read too much into it friends .

Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,986 times
Yeh... I figured that and didn't realize it was so old when I revived it. Ooops. I was just searching on racing and got wrapped up in this and didn't look at the last post date. My apologees.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,542,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
This thread was started by a troll. So don't read too much into it friends .
A troll? Or just a grumpy old man who liked to use this forum to get up on his soapbox about a variety of topics? Or are they one and the same?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
A troll? Or just a grumpy old man who liked to use this forum to get up on his soapbox about a variety of topics? Or are they one and the same?
I miss that guy.

Honestly, he wasn't a troll...this is a north/south culture clash ... he was just like any number of guys I grew up around in North Jersey, the fathers of most of my friends. Opinionated and outspoken doesn't = troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina