Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:42 AM

123 posts, read 484,881 times

Advertisements

I don't know the exact amount of fuel used at a given Nascar race - but I do know that my husband (B-52 pilot) "wasted" (?!) almost 27,000 gallons of jet fuel on his training sortie yesterday - his was one of 4 planes that day, there are usually 18 sorties per week, and that is in his squadron which is one out of 4 B-52 squadrons ok you can do the math.

Should we ban B-52 training sorties? Just wondering how far you are willing to go...

I am proud my husband is in the military so that we as a country remain free to express our opinions without fear of punishment even if they are ignorant ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

709 posts, read 929,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOltmans View Post
I don't know the exact amount of fuel used at a given Nascar race - but I do know that my husband (B-52 pilot) "wasted" (?!) almost 27,000 gallons of jet fuel on his training sortie yesterday - his was one of 4 planes that day, there are usually 18 sorties per week, and that is in his squadron which is one out of 4 B-52 squadrons ok you can do the math.

Should we ban B-52 training sorties? Just wondering how far you are willing to go...

I am proud my husband is in the military so that we as a country remain free to express our opinions without fear of punishment even if they are ignorant ones...
Again you people do not get it.

We must do more then send your husband to fight for the rest of us!!!

Yes we americans must stop wasting fuel, yes we must do more than go Shopping as the president told us to do after 9/11, idiot!!

Yes we need to think about how we use the resources from a part of the world that hates everything about us!!!

I said earlier that we will have to keep our military in Iraq to make sure the oil will continue to flow so the targets and walmarts and american drivers can keep doing what we do drive drive and drive some more!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

648 posts, read 2,972,451 times
Holt, that's a stretch going from a recreational sport that could be more fuel conscious to our military. Military waste could be a whole other HUGE thread, but this one's about NASCAR, a sensitive subject in its own right in these parts..

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM

Holt

Ignorant opinion? Excuse me?

Think about how that was worded. I only stated that we are in a situation in Iraq and we live down here in north carolina a place where happy motoring and nascar is thought of as a god given right. I make a statement that some do not agree with and boom I am the ignorant one!

Your husband is not keeping me free. He chose to join this mans army. I was drafted years back, so don't tell me he is keeping me free.

another republican no doubt!

Do you want train service in Raleigh?? Or should we keep building roads!?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM

123 posts, read 484,881 times
Ha! Don't worry i would NEVER pretend to equate fuel for recreational sport and fuel for our military. I found some of the other responses quite ridiculous as well and was trying to point how just how ridiculous this argument could get..my post was being sarcastic in suggesting that military fuel is a waste. I know all about how Nascar is important in "these parts" as I was raised in Raleigh elementary, middle, high school, college, and taught there until I married my man.

This thread has gotten obviously WAY off topic (my apologies for continuing it) and even the original topic would be better suited for a general forum IMO.

Let's close it and talk politics and war somewhere else.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Ha! Don't worry i would NEVER pretend to equate fuel for recreational sport and fuel for our military. I found some of the other responses quite ridiculous as well and was trying to point how just how ridiculous this argument could get..my post was being sarcastic in suggesting that military fuel is a waste. I know all about how Nascar is important in "these parts" as I was raised in Raleigh elementary, middle, high school, college, and taught there until I married my man.

This thread has gotten obviously WAY off topic (my apologies for continuing it) and even the original topic would be better suited for a general forum IMO.

Let's close it and talk politics and war somewhere else.
How about the light rail stopped here in the triangle? Why?

Stupid politicians?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,202,744 times
Thumbs down Follow Your Own Advice

Kudos Holtmans!

Since this thread is so off topic and belongs in the general discussion forum and not here in the Raleigh, NC forum that I would like to take this opportunity to report that as of this morning that tea is selling wholesale at 1.5 to 1.75 yuan per gram in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
How about the light rail stopped here in the triangle? Why?
Because too many people moved to places like Fuquay creating a sparse population density in the Triangle area which would make said light rail system unusable and ineffective for the majority of the population living in such suburban areas. The Feds figured this out and we lost our bid at getting funding from them. Hard to blame the politicians for the general public's choice of where they choose to live. There is enough blame to go around.

"Do as I say not as I do"

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 06-20-2007 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,938,737 times
Urbywan is cracking me up. I adore Urbywan. I just tried to positive rate twice and got this message:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to urbywan again.

Bring on the light rail!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 AM

842 posts, read 3,222,795 times
Quote:

The difference here is that the fuel being used by your husband is actually being used for something....to train your husband.

But NASCAR racing is A BUNCH OF CARS DRIVING IN CIRCLES!!!

The equivalent would be if your husband were to simply fly in circles for no reason other than to give people on the ground something to look at.

Lots of things are wasteful, but NASCAR racing is OBVIOUS IN-YOUR-FACE wasteful (on par with seeing people driving Hummers in downtown Raleigh).

Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
The difference here is that the fuel being used by your husband is actually being used for something....to train your husband.

But NASCAR racing is A BUNCH OF CARS DRIVING IN CIRCLES!!!

The equivalent would be if your husband were to simply fly in circles for no reason other than to give people on the ground something to look at.

Lots of things are wasteful, but NASCAR racing is OBVIOUS IN-YOUR-FACE wasteful (on par with seeing people driving Hummers in downtown Raleigh).
so we might as well ban recreational boating and jet skis rarely does anyone use it to get to point a to point b but make circles around a lake then back to point a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina