Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,235 times

Advertisements

Um, NC isn't the only state that has NASCAR. There were like a zillion people up in Loudon NH just last weekend for the races. I'm no racing fan, but it's not a NC only issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 AM

154 posts, read 595,741 times
EDIT: This may sound angry or heated, it's not. I'm just passionate about a sport that means and has given so much to me.

Man, did you see the race last night?!?! Busch and McMurray were all over each other coming through 3 & 4!!!

Calling NASCAR an utter waste of fuel is a close minded, holier-than-thou, I'm always right and no one can prove me wrong thing to say. Here's why:

-The big 3 automakers (and now Toyota) use NASCAR as a testing grounds for developing safer, more fuel effecient cars. And they do it while getting sponsirs to pick up the tab thereby saving themselves millions of dollars in research costs. they've done this for years and it has directly lead to safer transportation today. So when someone you know and love is survives an acciddent by some "miracle", thank NASCAR.

-NASCAR is one of the leading R&D groups for researching alternative fuels. Wait a minute, I bet you thought it was the governemnt leading the way didn't you? Or maybe you thought a Texas oil company was developing it didn't you?! Riiiiiiiight, you keep living in that fantasy world. If you believe that, you're probably the guy who checks the box giving $2 to the election campaign on your tax return. Lord knows those guys can bvarely make ends meet as it is.

If you don't like NASCAR, cool, don't watch it. But by not giving it an open-minded chance you give up your right to come in here and blather your uninformed boorish drather all over the forum.

As for me, I love NASCAR, it's in my blood. My sisters and I grew up watching dad race all over the south and learned to drive stick sitting in his lap at 3 years old on a dirt road. To this day we still race as a family and are 3 of the safest drivers on the road because we understand the physics of how a car works in relation to various external forces (mostly tourists ) and how to react to them. I guess you just put your kids through some 3 week drivers ed course and hope for the best, huh? That my friend, is an utter waste of fuel.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 day ago)

43,062 posts, read 76,604,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98stage2 View Post
EDIT: This may sound angry or heated, it's not. I'm just passionate about a sport that means and has given so much to me.

Man, did you see the race last night?!?! Busch and McMurray were all over each other coming through 3 & 4!!!

Calling NASCAR an utter waste of fuel is a close minded, holier-than-thou, I'm always right and no one can prove me wrong thing to say. Here's why:

-The big 3 automakers (and now Toyota) use NASCAR as a testing grounds for developing safer, more fuel effecient cars. And they do it while getting sponsirs to pick up the tab thereby saving themselves millions of dollars in research costs. they've done this for years and it has directly lead to safer transportation today. So when someone you know and love is survives an acciddent by some "miracle", thank NASCAR.

-NASCAR is one of the leading R&D groups for researching alternative fuels. Wait a minute, I bet you thought it was the governemnt leading the way didn't you? Or maybe you thought a Texas oil company was developing it didn't you?! Riiiiiiiight, you keep living in that fantasy world. If you believe that, you're probably the guy who checks the box giving $2 to the election campaign on your tax return. Lord knows those guys can bvarely make ends meet as it is.

If you don't like NASCAR, cool, don't watch it. But by not giving it an open-minded chance you give up your right to come in here and blather your uninformed boorish drather all over the forum.

As for me, I love NASCAR, it's in my blood. My sisters and I grew up watching dad race all over the south and learned to drive stick sitting in his lap at 3 years old on a dirt road. To this day we still race as a family and are 3 of the safest drivers on the road because we understand the physics of how a car works in relation to various external forces (mostly tourists ) and how to react to them. I guess you just put your kids through some 3 week drivers ed course and hope for the best, huh? That my friend, is an utter waste of fuel.
OK, so you don't worship doom and gloom.
GREAT!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,429,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Poorly designed and poorly maintained. Look at the two lane roads that run thru the triangle. Areas are washed out along the sides if you are driving on the curves the roads are narrow and hey how about them drunks at night! It is a cr@p shoot. Oh sorry the Nascar effect? Nope its a total waste of fuel .
The one that was truly the bane of my existence while I was there was Jones Sausage/White Oak/Cornwallis that stretches from Rock Quarry in southeast Raleigh to Cleveland School Road in Johnston County. Then there is Sunnybrook which runs north from Rock Quarry to New Bern Avenue near WakeMed (and southward too I believe). Sunnybrook is perhaps the most poorly maintained road I've ever seen even in a medium-sized American city. All the potholes and cracks make it look like it was in Sarajevo or Baghdad instead. I've heard it's as bad in North Raleigh, where I haven't been much, but I know someone who actually had their front axle snapped in two by a pothole. Of course NCDOT offers no help if anything like that happens, despite their inability to maintain anything.

No shoulders to speak of in case you blow out a tire or anything else bad. Visibility sucks, especially in any form of poor weather. Your headlights do not illuminate a car that is speeding around a 45-degree curve and behind the cover of trees until you have no time to react and no place to go if that car is a drunk who has no concept of where is lane is.

Texas has too many alcohol-related accidents, but even on most of our country roads (especially close to the coast where everything's flat) you almost always have a way to bail off the road and not end up in a ditch or creek in the event you had someone driving the wrong way heading toward you.

The RDU roadways were probably just fine 15-20 years ago. They aren't now. It's hard to be a small town and a big city at the same time. As it is, the roadway system is doing its part to keep the population growth under control.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,669,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's hard to be a small town and a big city at the same time. As it is, the roadway system is doing its part to keep the population growth under control.
I have to admit this is a first for me, roadway system effects pop. growth

Care to explain a bit more please?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Nascar......

brings in tons of money etc for the state. It is also established as part of NC
culture. And to add to this we already determined Nascar has their own deals with the Petroleum companies to get their fuel, and they are working on going green. Now to add another;Nascar and anyone involved with it give a whole lot of money to charities, and are constantly making donations. It is not a greedy sport as some may portray it to be.

You might want to suggest areas that already have public transport should work on getting more people to use it than worrying about Nascar fuel usage.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,429,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
I have to admit this is a first for me, roadway system effects pop. growth

Care to explain a bit more please?
Where subtlety fails bluntness prevails I suppose - when you die on the roadway, you cease to be counted in population or demographics statistics. You're another statistic entirely.

If Texas had the same proportion of traffic deaths to total population as North Carolina, its 2005 total would top 4,000 with a difference of about 550. If you don't think 550 people is that big of a difference, over just two years that's roughly the same as the population as Princeton, NC, all dead.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM

709 posts, read 929,318 times
Lets try this again. We just voted in CONGRESS of the USA NOT to open any off shore drilling along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. Most of the oil under the worlds ground is under countries that do not like us, Ie Saudi arabia Iran venezula, etc... Then we have americans who continue to worship the sport that wastes fuel and drive all over the place because we have no First world railroads, yes americas rails are as bad as the old Soviet Union.

Gang no doom and gloom here just reality, we cannot go on and on with cheap fuel, and driving 15 mpg SUVs and no amount of biofuels are gonna get us out of 5 and 6 dollar a gallon gasoline in the next few years.

Yea enjoy your nascar, but you know what it really is.. Don't ya?
Oh yea remember we will have to keep those american troops in Iraq forever. Iran will take over the oil regions of Iraq the day we leave. Who is gonna stop them?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Where subtlety fails bluntness prevails I suppose - when you die on the roadway, you cease to be counted in population or demographics statistics. You're another statistic entirely.

If Texas had the same proportion of traffic deaths to total population as North Carolina, its 2005 total would top 4,000 with a difference of about 550. If you don't think 550 people is that big of a difference, over just two years that's roughly the same as the population as Princeton, NC, all dead.
Now I see what you were trying to say. Crappy roads make fatal automobile accidents, the Texas/NC thing etc.......yes,you already stated something along this line before.
Thanks for explaining again.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM

154 posts, read 595,741 times
Oh dear lord, I have just realized that my entire earlier post was an absolute waste of time...

Ladies and gentlemen, urbywan here is blaming all of America's oil problems, the war in Iraq included, on NASCAR.

Alright urbywan, I have my bowl of popcorn ready... please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina