Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Anybody who has ever visited South Jersey and North Carolina will tell you they are a lot more similar than they are different.
If that is the case, then South Jersey is similar to "Southern" in culture. It doesn't make NC "Northern".

As for the comparisons to Maryland, it's a border state with huge Southern influences for its whole history and even the accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,309,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If that is the case, then South Jersey is similar to "Southern" in culture. It doesn't make NC "Northern".
That is a fact.
If somebody kidnapped a NC native and dumped them in South Jersey, unless they ran into Christopher and Paulie dumping a body they would swear they were in the Sandhills of NC

Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

As for the comparisons to Maryland, it's a border state with huge Southern influences for its whole history and even the accent.
Francois, that is the nature of the MidAtlantic. You see both influences & sometimes not at the same time, but sometimes interwoven. MidAtlantic does not = Northern. It does equal both Northern & Southern.

It's not about the density of the 3 main MidAtlantic cities vs cities in NC. It is about other things. There are still "coming out" events in Philly. I was back up there for a week, researching in Philly in 2010 & was "Ma'm"ed more than I have been "Ma'm"ed in a similar time frame in the Charlotte area. (a lot more)

Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times
Quote:
That is a fact.
If somebody kidnapped a NC native and dumped them in South Jersey, unless they ran into Christopher and Paulie dumping a body they would swear they were in the Sandhills of NC
ROFLMAO! Yes!, especially if you dump them in Deep South Jersey, where the natives speak with a southern accent!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,345,770 times
I think NC is quite different than LA, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, SC, etc. NC is the only purple state in the entire south. Politically it seems we are more in line with VA than Alabama. We are more sprawled out which seems to be the trend of Southern states more so than Northern states.

Depends on if you mean 21st Modern Southern or Paula Dean Cotton Field southern. I'd say we are still Southern.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-04-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,355,847 times
Quote:
That is a fact.
Unless of course the part of South Jersey they were dumped in was Camden...I think in that case they would probably notice.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,550,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think NC is quite different than LA, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, SC, etc. NC is the only purple state in the entire south.
Ummm, Florida and Virginia are still in the South.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,309,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Unless of course the part of South Jersey they were dumped in was Camden...I think in that case they would probably notice.
They would just think they were in Fayetteville.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,348,767 times
North Carolina is still Southern as a whole, but it is decreasingly so, particularly on the Outerbanks and in the Triangle. Moreover, like Virginia, it is increasingly Mid Atlantic.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM

2,305 posts, read 6,071,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Did you really just compare Charlotte and Raleigh to Baltimore and DC... You got to be kidding me. Charlotte and Raleigh are sprawled, Baltimore and DC are tightly together. Baltimore for instance has 7,641.5 people per sq mile vs Charlotte's 2,457.1 people per sq mile. Mass transit is used in DC and Baltimore, not used here; the Triangle and Triad doesn't even have any. People are mostly friendly here in NC, not at all up there. Fast pace vs slow pace. Green space vs concrete jungle. Food in NC is southern in take i.e. BBQ, Sweet Tea, Fried Chicken, etc vs Food in Maryland seafood focus i.e. crab, etc. Heck compare the low income areas and you will continue to see the differences. Personally, I can't think of one thing they have in common.

To the other two comparisons...
The beaches. Ocean City, Maryland is fast pace with a carnival on their boardwalk, everything very walkable. The beach itself is an afterthought. Go to the Outerbanks and it is quiet, relaxed very beach focus. To go places i.e. food requires a car (to the most extent). Two completely different beaches.

Mountains. Show me a town in Maryland that really matches Asheville's charm.
You will always be able to find small insignificant differences between any 2 cities anywhere. I find it difficult to believe you've never seen buses in either Charlotte or Raleigh.

Baltimore and Washington are more densely populated than Charlotte and Raleigh by simple virtue of the fact that there are more people crammed into a smaller area. Both areas as still large metropolitan areas with a lot of people in them.

The food? Seriously? In Maryland you can get the same foods that you get here. They just have the addition of crabs. And it might have something to do with the Chesapeake Bay cutting right through the middle of the state. They have greens, barbeque, fried chicken, sweet tea, etc.

And the whole of Maryland's eastern shore isn't comprised of Ocean City. Just like the whole of Eastern Carolina isn't comprised of the Outer Banks. Get away from those 2 small areas and it's the same there as it is here.

Have you ever been to any of those western Maryland towns? There are some incredible small towns out there. And outside of Asheville, there is nothing unique about western North Carolina that you don't find in western Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina