Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You will always be able to find small insignificant differences between any 2 cities anywhere. I find it difficult to believe you've never seen buses in either Charlotte or Raleigh.

Baltimore and Washington are more densely populated than Charlotte and Raleigh by simple virtue of the fact that there are more people crammed into a smaller area. Both areas as still large metropolitan areas with a lot of people in them.

The food? Seriously? In Maryland you can get the same foods that you get here. They just have the addition of crabs. And it might have something to do with the Chesapeake Bay cutting right through the middle of the state. They have greens, barbeque, fried chicken, sweet tea, etc.

And the whole of Maryland's eastern shore isn't comprised of Ocean City. Just like the whole of Eastern Carolina isn't comprised of the Outer Banks. Get away from those 2 small areas and it's the same there as it is here.
It's more than just small, insignificant differences between DC/Baltimore and Charlotte/Raleigh. There are a few commonalities, but by and large, they are outweighed by their differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,239,819 times
Quote:
You will always be able to find small insignificant differences between any 2 cities anywhere. I find it difficult to believe you've never seen buses in either Charlotte or Raleigh.

Baltimore and Washington are more densely populated than Charlotte and Raleigh by simple virtue of the fact that there are more people crammed into a smaller area. Both areas as still large metropolitan areas with a lot of people in them.

The food? Seriously? In Maryland you can get the same foods that you get here. They just have the addition of crabs. And it might have something to do with the Chesapeake Bay cutting right through the middle of the state. They have greens, barbeque, fried chicken, sweet tea, etc.

And the whole of Maryland's eastern shore isn't comprised of Ocean City. Just like the whole of Eastern Carolina isn't comprised of the Outer Banks. Get away from those 2 small areas and it's the same there as it is here.

Have you ever been to any of those western Maryland towns? There are some incredible small towns out there. And outside of Asheville, there is nothing unique about western North Carolina that you don't find in western Maryland.
I lived in PG County and NoVA for several years and your assessment is correct. Outside of the larger metros (anywhere USA), towns, folks generally have a laid-back pace. Northeastern urbanity is much different than sun belt urbanity primarily due to the age in which they experienced significant growth (auto/pre-auto).

Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,070,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I lived in PG County and NoVA for several years and your assessment is correct. Outside of the larger metros (anywhere USA), towns, folks generally have a laid-back pace. Northeastern urbanity is much different than sun belt urbanity primarily due to the age in which they experienced significant growth (auto/pre-auto).
Yeah, I know. I was sitting in dense urban traffic one day in Cary and thought to myself, this is no different from sitting in traffic in Annapolis. Big box stores to the left, big box stores to the right. A million traffic lights and the roads are jammed with traffic.

You could be picked up from a area in Capital Heights and be transferred to a like area in Fayetteville and never know you had moved. And you know exactly what Capital Heights is all about.

Or take a ride down US 13 from Delaware to the bridge tunnel. Then take a ride down US 17 from VB to South Carolina. You'd never know you were going from state to state. Single wides, dumpy little towns, the railroad track right beside the road. It's all the same.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know. I was sitting in dense urban traffic one day in Cary and thought to myself, this is no different from sitting in traffic in Annapolis. Big box stores to the left, big box stores to the right. A million traffic lights and the roads are jammed with traffic.

You could be picked up from a area in Capital Heights and be transferred to a like area in Fayetteville and never know you had moved. And you know exactly what Capital Heights is all about.

Or take a ride down US 13 from Delaware to the bridge tunnel. Then take a ride down US 17 from VB to South Carolina. You'd never know you were going from state to state. Single wides, dumpy little towns, the railroad track right beside the road. It's all the same.

I'd be willing to bet good money that people screaming about the difference in the big, bad "northern" MidAtlantic have never been to Salisbury, MD or the dozens & dozens of places of that ilk from South Jersey to the NC line.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,099 times
Quote:
There are few things in this world of which I am certain, but one of them is that when Satan returns to walk among us once again, he will make his primary residence somewhere in Delmarva by a chicken processing plant.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
There are few things in this world of which I am certain, but one of them is that when Satan returns to walk among us once again, he will make his primary residence somewhere in Delmarva by a chicken processing plant.

I will never forget a ride through Salisbury, long ago, on Rt 13 on a hot summer's day. It was in my dad's last car before A/C, & the choice of rolling up the windows & baking won out over the chicken feathers in the air that made it like riding through a blizzard. He had to put on the wipers.

Then there were the pig farms in Deptford, in South Jersey. Closed windows didn't keep out the stench there. Even though the last pig farmer sold out at the end of the boom, the stench lingers.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-07-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM

116 posts, read 337,442 times
born here in eastern NC, families on both sides go back to Revolutionary period so safe to say I am a Native(My father was even Tuscarora) NC is a southern state had a huge influx of transplants that want to make it seem yeah it is like so and so place up north. Lived all over and there are some similarities, especially whoever posted about the pine barrens in NJ. Very true much like many places down eats. That being said many major differences also. But it is still southern.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Somewhere near Salisbury, Hurlock, or Cordova?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,868,836 times
I beleive I may have mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but for the people comparing nC to S. Jerset and other parts of the North, do not confuse country and southern. There are definitle country parts all over the US. Even in CA. If you still want to abide by that comparison, just because there are "southern" parts of New Jersey, doesn't mean NC is northern. It just measn there are southern parts of New Jersey.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,418,495 times
Yes!

signed,

A Northerner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina