U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 PM

8,193 posts, read 10,819,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Quote:
I think the problem a lot of people have is mistaking "redneck" for "Southern."
That is just like a lot of Southerners refer to people from the North as Yankees
Not really the same thing. "Redneck" has a specific, derogatory meaning, while "Yankee" is simply a descriptive term for someone from the north (most of the time, though if it's said with certain "tone", it can be derogatory. It's like the difference between simply calling someone a Jew and calling them a "Jew" with a certain inflection. There is a "common" usage and an "insulting" usage).

Not to mention that you can have rednecks from Northern states (it's really a more "rural" term than north/south) but you don't have "Yankees" from the south.

When I was a kid (Raleigh, 1970s), the Yankee kids called the Southerners "Rebels", not rednecks. All in fun, it was just like UNC vs Duke or other "rivalries". But people who've never set foot in a state making sweeping stereotypes about the residents as "rednecks" is not quite so "in fun".
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM

23,901 posts, read 19,976,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I disagree. The Raleigh area is almost identical to NOVA 10-15 years ago and definitely headed in the direction of present day NOVA. I've also thought that Charlotte had a very traditionally southern feel to be such a large city...It may not be exactly like Richmond, but both are true to their southern heritage even with the influx of transplants.
While there are similarities between the Triangle and NOVA 20 years ago there is nothing to say that the federal government is going to pick up operations and relocate here. Nor is there anything to say that another 9/11 type of event is going to create a duplicate security or similar industry here. As one poster said the impact of history and circumstance have probably made NOVA unique. In fact the Dot Com boom and the real estate bubble boom were timed perfectly with other events to help create NOVA. It is questionable how much of NOVA can be sustained with possible cut backs in the Federal and most importantly changes in defense contracts on the horizon. The great recession is bringing into question the future growth pace of the Triangle and when it will fully recover. Also if traffic congestion is to be compared we don't have the same multi state beltway (495) nor do we have a super major East coast highway (95) overlapping our beltway. Our beltway tends to be local/regional traffic and theirs is clearly local, regional and national.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,915,007 times
Yes. But you're not going to get the true southern feel living in the suburbs of Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 AM

4,476 posts, read 4,931,839 times
Yes, NC is Southern and proud of it. Btw, Raleigh is still super Southern. And RDU is becoming like NoVa. NC is experiencing quite an international migration. If anyone comes to Charlotte drive down Central Ave. Or South Blvd. and call me a liar.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,575 times
hey i consider myself personally a yankee and proud of it so screw u ppl because nc was originally a northern state and it will always stay that way

Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM

8,193 posts, read 10,819,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nient View Post
nc was originally a northern state
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

(Troll alert?)

Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 AM

126 posts, read 166,705 times
Default Do Southerners still exist in North Carolina?

I am just wondering. I currently live in Virginia (I am from Alabama and plan on moving back), and every young male I meet from North Carolina who is my age (I am female in my twenties) always claims that at least half if not all of his family is from New York or Pennsylvania. Can North Carolina still be called a Southern state? Everyone I meet from there is a Northerner who has a condescending attitude of the South.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM

3,197 posts, read 6,044,613 times
I meet plenty of natives every day, and I have friends that are native-born in NC or were born in another state, such as SC or GA, but now live here. I think a lot of who you meet depends on where you are and where you work.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM

3,002 posts, read 4,585,012 times
Why did you make a new thread, rather than just continuing your old one?

Is North Carolina still a "Southern" state?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM

721 posts, read 1,132,486 times
Yes, plenty. There is a thread about this in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill section. Most Northerners seem friendly after settling in. I am friends with a few people originally from the North and I am dating a guy who lived in Long Island most of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina