Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times

Advertisements

NC as a state is still overwhelmingly Southern. The urban areas are more 50-50, but since you asked about the state itself, of course NC is a Southern state. Many rural counties are like stepping into 1960 in many ways (good and bad). most (though of course not all) Northern transplants are happy to adjust thir ways to the environment of their new state, though in the urban areas, the atmosphere is just plain "urban" (not "Southern urban" or "Northern urban"). "Southern" culture is usually mostly associated with more rural areas anyway. However, the cities in NC generally retain their older character since the "power players" tend to be longtime residents/natives.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM

133 posts, read 410,073 times
Yes!

*Southerners still exist in North Carolina and Virginia ( maybe not Northern Virginia).

Yes!

*North Carolina will forever be a southern state.

There's not that much southerners in the urban areas but you'll find alot in small towns and rural areas.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM

983 posts, read 3,972,273 times
Plenty of us "natives" out in the sticks!

You'd have to go back many, many, many, many generations to find someone who was NOT born here!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times
I can name about 80 of 100 counties that natives still rule.
Why would anyone want anything different.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,420,167 times
Another native here! I have a large family that's been in NC for centuries (both sides).

Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM

126 posts, read 320,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Why did you make a new thread, rather than just continuing your old one?

Is North Carolina still a "Southern" state?
I don't even remember that. Must have been a long time ago.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 1,482,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
I am just wondering. I currently live in Virginia (I am from Alabama and plan on moving back), and every young male I meet from North Carolina who is my age (I am female in my twenties) always claims that at least half if not all of his family is from New York or Pennsylvania. Can North Carolina still be called a Southern state? Everyone I meet from there is a Northerner who has a condescending attitude of the South.
Yes, there are still true Southerners in N.C., but unfortunately, that great state is being overrun from Northeasterners (not very often the types that one would like to get from there). In the mountains, when I would visit that state when I was younger, the cleanest, prettiest, and unpolluted region I could think of east of the Rocky Mtns, and the most gracious, hospitable people lived there, then people would move to same mtns. from Northeast, who had already either had 2nd homes or winter homes in Florida, then found out they did not like the heat and humidity of Florida, wanting "four season climate, without brutal northern winter or expense of living up North," bought up entire hillsides and created worthless draconian home owner associations (HOA's) and placed condos and buildings on tops of mountains (e.g. around Grandfather Mtn) that are ugly eyesores can see for many miles, locals are priced out of business, and curt, unfriendly asses running once pristine, beautiful counties. Just my take on it.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM

996 posts, read 1,888,167 times
Charlotte is massive transplant territory, but I meet a lot of Natives in Union County.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,272,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
I am just wondering. I currently live in Virginia (I am from Alabama and plan on moving back), and every young male I meet from North Carolina who is my age (I am female in my twenties) always claims that at least half if not all of his family is from New York or Pennsylvania. Can North Carolina still be called a Southern state? Everyone I meet from there is a Northerner who has a condescending attitude of the South.
Outside of the major areas the state feels very southern. Cary might as well be a part of the North East lol.

mas23

Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,865,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Outside of the major areas the state feels very southern. Cary might as well be a part of the North East lol.

mas23

Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (but they seemed to have broken out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina