U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 PM

68 posts, read 65,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Geographically, culturally, politically....WHATEVER. It's ALL Southern! All of it! From the highest mountain peaks in the northwest of the state, to the marshy swamplands in the east with moss-draped oaks and little gimpy Palmetto trees! It's a southern state. Period.
Correct! I don't know what people expect to see. There is not one thing in the south you can think of that NC does not have. There are small & midsize cities everywhere in NC that retain that old south look & feel. Western NC is southern appalachian. Rural Piedmont NC is just like anything in the Northern parts of GA, AL, and MS. There is not one MAJOR city in NC that feels like MD PA NY DC DE or really even VA besides Richmond. Charlotte Raleigh Triad Durham are all southern cities and if there not southern cities then go ahead and write GA off the list as well. No not deep south GA! Same way I feel about NC. Lets be honest this has nothing to do with the history or geographical code of NC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM

22 posts, read 28,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
Correct! I don't know what people expect to see. There is not one thing in the south you can think of that NC does not have. There are small & midsize cities everywhere in NC that retain that old south look & feel. Western NC is southern appalachian. Rural Piedmont NC is just like anything in the Northern parts of GA, AL, and MS. There is not one MAJOR city in NC that feels like MD PA NY DC DE or really even VA besides Richmond. Charlotte Raleigh Triad Durham are all southern cities and if there not southern cities then go ahead and write GA off the list as well. No not deep south GA! Same way I feel about NC. Lets be honest this has nothing to do with the history or geographical code of NC.
I disagree. Im originally from South Jersey. I live next to downtown Raleigh now and I can say this. Downtown Raleigh looks like a mini version of Philly. Head out to South Street in Philly one day and you'll see exactly what I mean. And just the same way they have people on the streets there in Raleigh, they got them in Philly to. Its like that all over in certain places.

Now me being from South Jersey, believe it or not, there was a town next to me that was all country. There were people I knew that lived there that had southern accents and lived that style and are originally from NJ. You might be amazed when you travel to different areas and see what its like. I belive there family moved up from the south, live there and raised there children in NJ and within that area, I would think they were from the deep sound the way some of the speak. But when it all comes down to it, it doesnt matter where your from. I hated NC for the first year I was here. Just because it seemend different. Then After that time period, I realized how much I love it now because Im away from the drama I had back home in NJ. And its actually A LOT bigger here then it was up there.

Matter fact, I met more people from NY here, then I did when I lived in NJ lol

Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM

7,942 posts, read 10,302,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
I disagree. Im originally from South Jersey. I live next to downtown Raleigh now and I can say this. Downtown Raleigh looks like a mini version of Philly. Head out to South Street in Philly one day and you'll see exactly what I mean. And just the same way they have people on the streets there in Raleigh, they got them in Philly to. Its like that all over in certain places.

Now me being from South Jersey, believe it or not, there was a town next to me that was all country. There were people I knew that lived there that had southern accents and lived that style and are originally from NJ. You might be amazed when you travel to different areas and see what its like. I belive there family moved up from the south, live there and raised there children in NJ and within that area, I would think they were from the deep sound the way some of the speak. But when it all comes down to it, it doesnt matter where your from. I hated NC for the first year I was here. Just because it seemend different. Then After that time period, I realized how much I love it now because Im away from the drama I had back home in NJ. And its actually A LOT bigger here then it was up there.

Matter fact, I met more people from NY here, then I did when I lived in NJ lol
This thread is about the whole STATE of North Carolina, not a small area of Raleigh. How many of NC's 100 counties have you actually been to?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,341,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
I live next to downtown Raleigh now and I can say this. Downtown Raleigh looks like a mini version of Philly. Head out to South Street in Philly one day and you'll see exactly what I mean. And just the same way they have people on the streets there in Raleigh, they got them in Philly to. Its like that all over in certain places.
I needed that chuckle today.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,594,244 times
North Carolina - The Old North State

yeah i know.. i really do.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 2,615,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This thread is about the whole STATE of North Carolina, not a small area of Raleigh. How many of NC's 100 counties have you actually been to?
I've been to a bunch of them and I can tell you this. I could take you out of any county in North Carolina and drop you into a county in Maryland and you'd never know you left North Carolina. Maryland's Eastern Shore is just like Eastern Carolina. The mannerisms, the feel and the look. Then you have the urbanized central part of Carolina, Charlotte and Raleigh, just like Baltimore and Washington. Then you move into the mountainous areas of both states. They are one in the same.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've been to a bunch of them and I can tell you this. I could take you out of any county in North Carolina and drop you into a county in Maryland and you'd never know you left North Carolina. Maryland's Eastern Shore is just like Eastern Carolina. The mannerisms, the feel and the look. Then you have the urbanized central part of Carolina, Charlotte and Raleigh, just like Baltimore and Washington. Then you move into the mountainous areas of both states. They are one in the same.
I've been taken to task on many threads for saying what you're saying. Unfortunately, posters can not resist comparing Bugtussle, NC to Philly, Baltimore, & DC. If you compare cities to cities & Bugtussle to places like Finksburg, in Maryland, or Elmer, in South Jersey (The key is South Jersey, not the whole state.) the similarities are obvious.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,602,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Did you really just compare Charlotte and Raleigh to Baltimore and DC... You got to be kidding me. Charlotte and Raleigh are sprawled, Baltimore and DC are tightly together. Baltimore for instance has 7,641.5 people per sq mile vs Charlotte's 2,457.1 people per sq mile. Mass transit is used in DC and Baltimore, not used here; the Triangle and Triad doesn't even have any. People are mostly friendly here in NC, not at all up there. Fast pace vs slow pace. Green space vs concrete jungle. Food in NC is southern in take i.e. BBQ, Sweet Tea, Fried Chicken, etc vs Food in Maryland seafood focus i.e. crab, etc. Heck compare the low income areas and you will continue to see the differences. Personally, I can't think of one thing they have in common.

To the other two comparisons...
The beaches. Ocean City, Maryland is fast pace with a carnival on their boardwalk, everything very walkable. The beach itself is an afterthought. Go to the Outerbanks and it is quiet, relaxed very beach focus. To go places i.e. food requires a car (to the most extent). Two completely different beaches.

Mountains. Show me a town in Maryland that really matches Asheville's charm.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
PDD

5,867 posts, read 5,797,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've been taken to task on many threads for saying what you're saying. Unfortunately, posters can not resist comparing Bugtussle, NC to Philly, Baltimore, & DC. If you compare cities to cities & Bugtussle to places like Finksburg, in Maryland, or Elmer, in South Jersey (The key is South Jersey, not the whole state.) the similarities are obvious.

Anybody who has ever visited South Jersey and North Carolina will tell you they are a lot more similar than they are different.
Especially here,
Pine Barrens (New Jersey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NJ even has it's own "special" people called Pineys

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Anybody who has ever visited South Jersey and North Carolina will tell you they are a lot more similar than they are different.
Especially here,
Pine Barrens (New Jersey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NJ even has it's own "special" people called Pineys
TY

How could I forget. . .Chatsworth, in the Pine Barrens is the ultimate MidAtlantic example. The Piney Power website had a great article, focused on the general store, but since the general store is now up for sale, they are now featuring that & I can't post that. So. . . Best Adventure Towns: Chatsworth, New Jersey - National Geographic Adventure Magazine & Elmer, New Jersey - Home Page & the bustling Woodstown, Welcome to Woodstown, NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina