Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM

82 posts, read 293,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesleyan View Post
NC has always been a southern state and always will be a southern state!!! No matter how many stupid yankees come down here and try to change us!!! God Bless Dixie!!!
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,031,540 times
Is North Carolina still a Southern state??? Well, last I checked, it didn't move. So, I guess the answer is "Yes, it's still a Southern state". :-)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 AM

358 posts, read 978,958 times
I think the problem a lot of people have is mistaking "redneck" for "Southern."

North Carolina is definitely still a Southern state, for sure.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM

240 posts, read 557,538 times
As far as I know, North Carolina will always be a Southern State.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 AM

240 posts, read 557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the rule that I learned from Georgia Bulldog fans is: you take the closest east-west interstate to the north of where you were born (I-10, I-20, I-40, etc.), and everyone who is born north of that is a yankee.

if you're from Charlotte, people from Virginia are yankees. if you're from Columbia, people from Charlotte are yankees. if you're from Savannah, people from Columbia are yankees. if you're from Miami, however, you're cuban.

Good point! In South Carolina, North Carolina is considered ''North.''

Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 AM

7 posts, read 22,105 times
Generally, threads of this type annoy me but I've given this particular point thought before--and because it appears to be a common theme on this site--I've decided to convey my own thoughts on the subject.

As a native North Carolinian and a proud Southerner I feel as though NC by default will always be a "Southern state". The reason is rooted both in the state's geography/climate/flora&fauna and its undeniable Southern history. That being said, NC (and the South) as a whole has become diluted--as would be expected in modern times. Simply said, there are more people living in NC and the South that are not southerners (something that is a fairly recent phenomenon) and this of course tends to marginalize how "overtly" southern these places are. But this does not detract from those individuals that have been born and raised in these areas and have long family ties in their communities.

Even in kids that I grew up with in NC (I am 22) there is a very real awareness I think that we live in the South and, thus are southerners even though we are in a time where technology is rapidly melting away borders and regionalism in the US and may not openly subscribe to being so. I think the misconception is that people growing up in NC need to be brought up picking tobacco; fishing and hunting everyday and eating grits, pimento cheese sandwiches and pot likker morning, noon, and night to be southern. It's simply not going to happen in this day and age. Things have changed but this does not take away (in my opinion) from the inherit southern-ness of NC (or any Southern state for that matter).

To sum up, I certainly consider myself southern and have felt that way without a doubt my whole life and so I find it puzzling now to find people who question things like North Carolina (or Virginia, one of the other "is it or isn't it" states that shouldn't even be a question) as being southern. It is in a way offensive.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,309,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I think the problem a lot of people have is mistaking "redneck" for "Southern."
That is just like a lot of Southerners refer to people from the North as Yankees which is not true, People from the North are Northerners, People who root for the NY Yankees are Yankees.

Just like people from the South are Southerners and people who root for Nascar are rednecks except for Northerners who root for Nascar they are considered oddballs.

Northeast transplant who now lives in NC and is a Nascar fan and hates the Yankees.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 19,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInDixie View Post
Generally, threads of this type annoy me but I've given this particular point thought before--and because it appears to be a common theme on this site--I've decided to convey my own thoughts on the subject.

As a native North Carolinian and a proud Southerner I feel as though NC by default will always be a "Southern state". The reason is rooted both in the state's geography/climate/flora&fauna and its undeniable Southern history. That being said, NC (and the South) as a whole has become diluted--as would be expected in modern times. Simply said, there are more people living in NC and the South that are not southerners (something that is a fairly recent phenomenon) and this of course tends to marginalize how "overtly" southern these places are. But this does not detract from those individuals that have been born and raised in these areas and have long family ties in their communities.

Even in kids that I grew up with in NC (I am 22) there is a very real awareness I think that we live in the South and, thus are southerners even though we are in a time where technology is rapidly melting away borders and regionalism in the US and may not openly subscribe to being so. I think the misconception is that people growing up in NC need to be brought up picking tobacco; fishing and hunting everyday and eating grits, pimento cheese sandwiches and pot likker morning, noon, and night to be southern. It's simply not going to happen in this day and age. Things have changed but this does not take away (in my opinion) from the inherit southern-ness of NC (or any Southern state for that matter).

To sum up, I certainly consider myself southern and have felt that way without a doubt my whole life and so I find it puzzling now to find people who question things like North Carolina (or Virginia, one of the other "is it or isn't it" states that shouldn't even be a question) as being southern. It is in a way offensive.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM

22 posts, read 52,534 times
Born and Raised in NJ and comming to TN 5 months ago was a HUGE change. TN was VERY southern and laid back. Then I came here 1 month ago. I noticed that NC is like a cross between the north and the south. Theres a lot more going on here and I would say the people are still friendly, and cool. Comming from NJ, I do notice a change in the peoples attitudes. The place is really beautiful and Im happy to see flat lands again lol

Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 AM

22 posts, read 52,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesleyan View Post
NC has always been a southern state and always will be a southern state!!! No matter how many stupid yankees come down here and try to change us!!! God Bless Dixie!!!
Im from NJ and I dont try to change no one. Calling people from the north Yankess and Northerners calling people from the south Rednecks is like saying racial slurs to black people and white people. Its offensive and rude. You shouldnt put yourself on that level. If you do, may god bless your soul. Remember one thing. All of us are Gods children. Doesnt matter what color you are. I wasnt born with the ability to open my eyes and decide what color I wanna be and where I want to live. Remember that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina