Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

If there ever was any doubt about NC being a Southern state, yesterday's amendment vote put the doubt to rest.

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic............................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Go-Go might be popular in Black youth culture in DC, but to claim it's knowledge is limited to that, is like saying the only people that know what rap is are young blacks. Go-Go music is known in DC, period. Doesn't matter what color you are or if you listen to it at all. Also, DMV is popular term used by people in N.Va (also abbreviated NoVa, or NOVA), S. MD. and DC.

Here is the term being used by the local DC NBC affiliate, the same WRC 4 that an above poster said he watched but never heard of the term.
First Read | NBC4 Washington

In the Washington Post go-go music has been mentioned in 56 times in the last month. 19 articles & 26 blogs. One of the top trending local topics is Chuck Brown's hospitalization.
Post Local: Washington, DC Area News, Traffic, Weather, Sports & More - The Washington Post

I will say that DMV is a relatively new term. It has literally only started being used in the last 6 years and widely used in the last two or three. Widely meaning throughout DMV. Also, Southbound says they are terms used by young people. If by young you mean populat for peopel in their 40's, early 50s, and younger, you'd be correct.

All of that said, DMV & go-go, are quintessential national capital region, not mid-atlantic
You are missing the point, go-go music, like other forms of music can be extremely regional. Sure, it's based out of DC but can be readily heard in MD, VA and parts of NC (more so NC than Philly or New York - lot of people from Baltimore, Philly and New York despise go-go music). You might hear mainstream go-go music outside of these states - doin it in the but, etc but many are unfamiliar with the hard core style of music. A lot white folk and other ethnic groups in DC, NOVA, etc have never heard of go-go music, period...I lived in NOVA for 5 years,they are clueless and could care less. May have heard it in passing but have no clue as to what it is.

That doesn't make NC is mid-atlantic but refusing to believe there isn't strong ties and bonds between NC and the defined mid-atlantic states is ridiculous.

Truthfully, DC, Baltimore, Philly and New York are different places, music, culture, working professionals etc. The common denominator is the design or architecture of the cities, some of the dialect, and urbanity with rowhouses, etc.

Not sure about DMV, I grew up NC, can't remember calling it anything else. Lol, maybe I did but don't recall.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If there ever was any doubt about NC being a Southern state, yesterday's amendment vote put the doubt to rest.

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic............................
or midwestern, mountain west, western state...only a handful of state have passed the same sex marriage law - it ain't just da south.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:

One of the biggest reasons peopel point to NC being anything but Southern is the metro areas, but I think yesterday vote shows, that despite them being population centers, they still don't represent the majority of NC as a whole.

The counties that voted against overall can be broken down to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill , Boone(App State), Asheville, Greensboro, Pittsboro/Chatham (Triangle Suburb),Charlotte and Boone.

WRAL.com VoteTracker: 2012 Primary :: WRAL.com

Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
...but I think yesterday vote shows, that despite them being population centers, they still don't represent the majority of NC as a whole.
I see the vote yesterday as being far more about the state of reading and comprehension skill outside of those population centers. Prideful ignorance and religious bigotry tie for a close second.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

Well. . .The next thing to watch will be in NJ. The legislature passed gay marriage & Christie is refusing to sign it until it's voted on. It will fail in South Jersey, except, probably, Camden County.

Don't forget that the Reverend Carl McIntire operated out of South Jersey. Carl McIntire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-09-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . .The next thing to watch will be in NJ. The legislature passed gay marriage & Christie is refusing to sign it until it's voted on. It will fail in South Jersey, except, probably, Camden County.

Don't forget that the Reverend Carl McIntire operated out of South Jersey. Carl McIntire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sb - The political difference between South Jersey (minus the Philly suburbs) and North Jersey is probably greater than the political differences between North and South Carolina. Most people in Northern NJ regard the area east of the Phiily suburbs and west of Atlantic City as a kind of Lost World. Think of the Jersey Devil - Mrs Leed's thirteenth child! But unlike NC, Amendment One as written, would never fly in NJ and I strongly suspect that a vote on just the gay marriage issue might squeek by in NJ. North Jersey might have the same lop-sided approval rate as NC's Amendment One, whereas in South Jersey, gay marriage would be defeated. But since the population in the Northern end is almost triple what it is in South Jersey, it would most likely pass.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
sb - The political difference between South Jersey (minus the Philly suburbs) and North Jersey is probably greater than the political differences between North and South Carolina. Most people in Northern NJ regard the area east of the Phiily suburbs and west of Atlantic City as a kind of Lost World. Think of the Jersey Devil - Mrs Leed's thirteenth child! But unlike NC, Amendment One as written, would never fly in NJ and I strongly suspect that a vote on just the gay marriage issue might squeek by in NJ. North Jersey might have the same lop-sided approval rate as NC's Amendment One, whereas in South Jersey, gay marriage would be defeated. But since the population in the Northern end is almost triple what it is in South Jersey, it would most likely pass.
+5

LOL, Emissary, there is a certain element in North Jersey, & I know that you are not one of them, that paints all of South Jersey and Philly with one brush, giving an extra thick coating of contempt to the more rural parts of South Jersey. 15 or 20 years ago, Amendment One would have passed in South Jersey, probably including Camden County, because of Carl McIntire. Some areas would give it a decent showing today.

Thank you for confirming the difference between North Jersey & South Jersey. It's 2 states in one. From what I'm hearing, Christie is pushing the right buttons that secession is rearing its head again in the southern counties.

I know darned well that a lot of people in Kings Mountain would not have voted for Amendment One if they had read it, instead of going by the title.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
It is Southern in it's culture and way of thinking. Places like Huntersville have more transplants.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
People said that Maryland's legalization put the North/South discussion in Maryland to rest. Yet the discussion goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina