Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to NC to be closer to family. We are worried that we won't be able to handle it financially with 4 kids. I plan to stay home and homeschool so we'd be living solely off one teaching income. Anyone making this work down there? We currently live in Alaska and have no problems making this lifestyle work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
It will be tough on ONE salary--especially that of a teacher.

Depending on experience and degree that determines salary.

Find the years and degree columns to get annual salary. Even a master's with 32 years ($57K)is probably LESS than Alaska pay for first year teachers?

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/fbs/...0schedules.pdf

We managed ok with just my salary, but there are just the two of us. No kids.

How long would it take to recoup the cost of moving?

Unless your family is moving anyways, it would be ok.

But I think just to up and move for the sake of a new environment (and loss of salary?) would be a tough choice economically.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
You might be able to do it if you rent (buy?) a mobile home in a bad area. At least you wouldn't have to try for a good school district.

On the other hand, homeschooled children don't get free lunch.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 AM

983 posts, read 3,986,449 times
And if he's providing insurance for the whole family, it will be almost $600/month out of his check!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
And if he's providing insurance for the whole family, it will be almost $600/month out of his check!

Oh yeah, what they said.

Family and dependents are NOT covered with teachers' benefits.

Wife and I both are "state" employees so we are covered seperately..

Don't get me wrong--

It is great for us living here and we could not imagine being anywhere else.

BUT if we had a family we would be scraping to get by and our monthly bills (minus grocery) total around $1100.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Is anyone hiring teachers?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
A family of SIX??
On ONE teacher's salary? I cannot imagine they'd have much of a lifestyle, even presuming the "one" were able to get a teaching job here right now. What field of teaching?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times
First, I would recommend using one of the search engines to do a "cost of living" comparison. Some things are more expensive here, but some things are less expensive. It depends on what you buy, of course.

Secondly, one response you will see to almost all questions about moving here is "have a job first." Does your husband have a job offer in NC, yet? From my understanding, it's very difficult to get a job once one has relocated to the area, especially in the teaching field.

Third, is it possible to live with family or rent in the area to see what things are like for you and if you can make it work? Could you two live separately while he tries to get established here before uprooting the whole family?

I think anyone can live just about anywhere with the right budgeting skills, but that's just me. Only you know what are "must haves" and what are "luxuries" for your family. Think it through, come up with a plan and work toward your goal. The right opportunity will present itself at the right time.

All the best in whatever you decide.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,193 times
Heck no. We are a family of 4 living on a teacher's salary with a master's degree and it is near impossible. My husband works in the summer, tutors and I babysit and we still scrape by when things like car repairs, appliance/home repairs pop up. The health insurance alone kills us. It is almost $600 for 80% coverage, so co-pays, deductibles, etc. also can be a killer during cold/flu season when you have a few doctor's appointments in one month. We were desperate for a teaching job and to own a home when we moved here 4 years ago. We should have researched the health insurance better because we lost $10K a year in teacher's salary plus we had free medical for the whole family which is another $7200 a year we lost a year moving out here. The cost of living is not that much lower for us. The main thing is we can be a home owner in NC, but back home we could only rent and even before the recession teaching jobs in our area were scarce. NC has be good to us in many ways, but we still have taken a beating with the health insurance, low wages and no pay increases the last couple years. However, I am sure our groceries are cheaper than Alaska and I imagine heating bills. I am not sure about Alaska's cost of living, but you will most likely be living on less than $40K (depending on years of experience) and $7200 a year in health insurance in NC. Housing will average $600-$1000 for nothing too fancy. I would think long and hard about such a drastic move.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,727,361 times
I am single and own a home and have to work a 2nd job to cover my mortgage, car payment, and everything else. Even then it is super tight!!
(My mortgage is about the same as I paid in rent- $850, and my car payment is decent- $320. But, when you bring home $1800 a month for teaching and add everything else into it- utilities and what-not- it is just not enough!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina