U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,990 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the New Bern,NC area and are trying to figure out where to live. When I look at the crime rate in the cities around New Bern I am very worried about the high rate of crime compared to the national average. Can anyone out there give me some ideas on where to settle down in that area? Also have 2 chlidren (young) and very concered on a good school district. Can anyone help me. We are from Michigan and it's very hard from up here to figure things out. I'm also worried about floods in the New Bern area. Is there anyone out there that can fill me in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM

787 posts, read 3,324,862 times
I live in Snow Hill, NC which is in Greene County. This is some 50 miles west of New Bern. And you have every reason to be concerned about the flooding potential in the hurricane season. I have lived in NC all my life and hurricanes to me are just a part of living here. But if you have never experienced one, it can be a very frightening experience. I think if I had a choice, I would get further inland than New Bern. Maybe you could check out Garner, NC which is in Wake county with a short commute to Raleigh, the state capital. Good luck. Oh, and there is Wendell you might want to check out as well. If you are determined to stay closer to the coast, check out Greenville, NC and Goldsboro has Seymour Johnson Air Force base there. Both of these towns are about 20 miles to the NE and W respectively of where I am.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina