Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,059 times

Advertisements

I thought my post may help some of you who have lost your benefits through NC or other states too. Here's my story:

I had been applying for unemployment through NC online since last year, I was at the end of my Tier 3 and received my last payment on June 7th. I thought, due to all the info in the media that I could not get any benefits until Congress passed the unemployment extension but I was WRONG. When I went into the system on June 13th I was given this message: Our records indicate that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year ending 1/1/2011. So, I did not go into the office, I just kept applying for jobs with no benefits since then. I assumed since I didn't exhaust my current tier before May 30th, that I was given the boot. Just happened that I talked to a friend yesterday who is in the same boat as me and she told me I needed to call the Raleigh office asap because she is still drawing even though the cut off was supposed to be May 29th.

I called this number: RALEIGH UNEMPLOYMENT HOTLINE: 1.866.795.8877
I called this morning and the lady said I qualified for EB, which I have no idea what their talking about, doesn't seem to be a Tier..? She said that I should have called when the payments lapsed but she could give me my back funds when I apply on Sunday through the online system. She seemed busy so I didn't press any issues and she then told me I would get a letter in the mail soon and I would get up to 20-26 weeks of EB. Now, what in the heck is going on? I have no idea! I ended Tier 3 on June 6th with, what I thought was my last check due to the unemployment extension not being approved by Congress. I thought I just had 6 weeks of Tier 4 left and had to wait on Congress to approve the extension.

I am flabbergasted as to what they are doing (it's not exactly clear cut and dry on the website) but all I know is I'm getting more money and I'm so thankful that my friend told me this, otherwise I would not have even known to call Raleigh. I am so relieved but I feel so bad for others who are struggling and I thought perhaps this post may help some of you. Don't go into your local offices, call you state unemployment hotline and talk to them asap. The lady said it was a good thing I called because it had been almost 4 weeks that I hadn't drawn and there would have been more red tape if I waited any longer. I don't know what all the rules are and to tell you the truth I don't think many in their offices even know all the complicated Tiers and cut off dates etc...

Here's what the NC site states about the weeks you can draw:
"Four Tiers have been authorized in the EUC08 program: Tier 1 has a 20-week maximum; Tier 2, 14 weeks; Tier 3, 13 weeks; and Tier 4, 6 weeks." WHAT ABOUT EB??? It's on the site but with all this talk in the media I thought I was out of luck and out of time...
I had NO IDEA I could still qualify for Extended Benefits even though Congress has turned down the Extension bill as of yesterday, June 17th. So here I am, selling what I could sell on ebay to get by until Congress returns from their week long vacation (ladida...). Thank God that I called the Raleigh office otherwise I would have never known about EB.

I really hope this post helps some of you guys out there who have exhausted current tiers, and if it's already been addressed then just disregard. Call your local state unemployment offices on Mon. or Tues. if they are closed and talk to someone.

I pray for all of you who are struggling and let me know if this helps anyone.

Good luck and Blessings to all of you! Keep your chins up and do not give up!

Knowledge is POWER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,891 times
Thanks tons - I live in GA and just ended my tier 3 but did not receive anything indicating I needed to call my local office. When I went to certify this last week (3 July, 2010), a message appears that reads: Please see your representative at your local office. I am eligible for both tier 4 and SEB. This happened right after tier 2 ended and tier 3 began. Anyway, I appreciate your posting this for those that are not proactive solely because they have received no information. Folks, if you've worked and paid into unemployment and now find yourself unemployed, you are owed. Contact your local office. Peace.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 31,378 times
thank you sooo much Emmanuel007 !!! wow,i was in the same predicament and i couldnt get through to my local office at first and when i did no one really could give me an answer! they was lost as to what the new changes was also.Then i came across this site and i read your comment and took your advice as to call the Raleigh unemployment hot line# and i spoke with a lady who said i was eligible for tier 3 and being that President Obama has just signed the bill to extend the unemployment my benefits might take a few days before i can draw it off my benefit card.I PRAYED TO GOD and i was lead to this site.God used you!! stay blessed and may God bless you and yours. Thank you again!!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Hi Kensgirl1, thank you also for your input and comment on this unemployment issue. And yes i have been working all of my life until last year and at first i was uncomfortable drawing unemployment but you are right this is money that is owed to me from my hard work and OT that i put in all theses years!! thank you for reminding me.May God bless you and your family.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond64 View Post
thank you sooo much Emmanuel007 !!! wow,i was in the same predicament and i couldnt get through to my local office at first and when i did no one really could give me an answer! they was lost as to what the new changes was also.Then i came across this site and i read your comment and took your advice as to call the Raleigh unemployment hot line# and i spoke with a lady who said i was eligible for tier 3 and being that President Obama has just signed the bill to extend the unemployment my benefits might take a few days before i can draw it off my benefit card.I PRAYED TO GOD and i was lead to this site.God used you!! stay blessed and may God bless you and yours. Thank you again!!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,370 times
Default Eb extension

THANK YOU for this post my regular benefits ran out in February 2010 and i never got told or recieved any letters about extended benefits....i jus called the number provided above for the ESC and i told them i never contacted them about extended benefits when my regular benefits ran out. They re-opened my claim and successfully enrolled me into EB. i hate i waited so long until now but i was not told anything before but i will tell everyone about this now

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 10,102 times
thank you, Emmanuel007. I'm feeling the power!!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 19,163 times
my benefit year ran out but I thought I would still draw under EB..wrong assumption..I found out you have to refile, which I did on the phone and the Lady told me that she would make sure I did not have another pentalty period..she transferred to another section and the Lady there told me that the first Lady was wrong...I had to wait a pentalty week...Oh well..I still got another 13 weeks on EB.. however I still don't understand what makes me eligible..It is not explained very well..But I am now getting a message that I have from 1 to two weeks left on this period...but I have received this message for over 4 weeks now...??? I am 69 years old and have not received any response to dozens of job applications..

Last edited by devonis1; 10-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,037 times
How long does "tier 4" let you stay on unemployment? I mean, total.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 19,163 times
I just kept filing after filling out my second benefit year... I went on unemployment on July 22, 2010 and refiled my second benefit year in July 2011 which is good until july 2012. But they keep saying you have to be monetarilly elligible...I have no idea when I run out of elligible funds or how far back they go...

Last edited by devonis1; 11-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina