Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,602 times

Advertisements

Are there racist people in RTP? Rednecks with shotguns, etc..? Please I do not mean to offend anyone and ofcourse rednecks do not know they are rednecks (according to Larry the Cable guy) , however only people who experience these things would know.

I know there are racist people all parts of the World, however some places you may find more than others. So, without upsetting anyone, this is just something I'm curious about whethere there are racist people in RTP and was afraid to ask because you know, these days, everything has to be politically correct.:)

Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Sure there are just like everywhere else, depends on what you are talking about, we have had prejudioce against us for not being religious and not going to church, i have people in my neighborhood look down at my black neighbor. I have met a few rednecks but they have been fairly nice, they dont wonder around here waving guns, well maybe way out there some where. I have seen more race issues in Oregon where I am from than here actually.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
In a word..... yes. They are a minority for sure; but they are here....and they get madder and meaner by the yeare as more "outsiders" "invade" their state.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:15 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
No more than there are in parts of Texas, I reckon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestUser
Are there racist people in RTP? Rednecks with shotguns, etc..? Please I do not mean to offend anyone and ofcourse rednecks do not know they are rednecks (according to Larry the Cable guy) , however only people who experience these things would know.

I know there are racist people all parts of the World, however some places you may find more than others. So, without upsetting anyone, this is just something I'm curious about whethere there are racist people in RTP and was afraid to ask because you know, these days, everything has to be politically correct.:)

Old 08-09-2006, 05:35 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,695 times
Come on now! Rednecks with shotguns are not necessarily racist! And they come in different skin colors! Larry the Cable Guy is wrong, we DO know!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
Come on now! Rednecks with shotguns are not necessarily racist! And they come in different skin colors! Larry the Cable Guy is wrong, we DO know!
{snort} LOL! Thanks, that was good...

Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Rednecks in the Triangle? Very few if any at all in the city cores of Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. There's still a significant number in the smaller towns and suburbs....I try to avoid them whenever possible.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Larry the Cable Guy is getting rich off of what he conceives as a preconceived idea that people have as an opinion about people from the south. Please, give me a break. We are no different than anyone else in our beliefs and the life. What we lack is the polishing that so many other people deem necessary for life. What we do have is a great loyality to our families, love of our country, compassion for the other man, and we live by the golden rule. There are a lot of big game hunters down here though. But I haven't heard of anyone shooting someone else just because they said "Hi, I am John Smith from New York" for instance. I just don't happen to be one of those people that live to shop and have 100 pairs of shoes in my closet. It think it is unnecessary to spend money that way and prefer to spend it on something else and even give to charities. It may surprise you to know that the most of us fear the northern gangs of the larger cities than we ever thought about fearing others. If you were to break down in the middle of no where, it would be more than likely one of these redneck fellows that would change your tire for you, for free probably and send you along your way. Most rednecks as they are called simply come from poorer families without the advantages of a higher education and have learned to coexist in other ways. And yes, while I don't consider myself a redneck in the terms of Larry the Cable Guy, I am sure if you met me that is what some of the other people would consider me since I live in a totally rural area. I don't put on airs, if I don't like you, I will approach you directly and tell you so. We might even have some preconceived ideas about other people as well like most people have. But as for dangerous people, I am sure there are some here like the true racists. But they don't have to be in the south for that.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 AM

63 posts, read 211,074 times
Quote:
I am sure there are some here like the true racists. But they don't have to be in the south for that.
Racism is every where, it's not localized. To think that one "type" of person is more racist then another is just awful.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
I am from Jersey, born and raised. My family is mixed race. When I first got my orders to go to MS, we were very, very concerned. Our experience in the Biloxi area was the best I've ever had. Generally, everyone we encountered was kind and we made long-lasting friendships with some very good people.

Also, interestingly enough, Southern culture is a lot more similar to the Black American culture/experience. I doubt any of my White Northern friends have ever had grits. What a delight to be able to order them in restaurants in MS!

I would say that the big difference between North and South is here, people that don't like you will pretend otherwise. I much prefer knowing who to avoid when we were south ... no guessing involved. To ask if a certain area has racists is silly. Simply put, racism is alive and well, anywhere you go.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina