Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Has it ever occurred to any of you (for lack of a better term, relocators) that Southerners are turning inward to each other? Maybe that's where the hospitality is relocating.

There is a seize mentality wafting over the South right now. We're feeling invaded. Hence, when you hear a familiar accent, you feel an immediate bond. When you hear a foreign (and yes, NJ/NY/MA is foreign to us) accent, there is a propensity to retreat. It's in our DNA.

I think you'll find that relocators who adapt to our customs are more warmly welcomed. Remember, we didn't ask for any of this. We don't appreciate being forced to change.
I know change is hard - maybe if you didn't get your arse kicked you could still have those slaves picking your cotton.

Blame your politicians for opening the flood gates to the carpetbaggers and do something about it. Whining on an anonymous internet board and being rude to transplants won't change a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
[quote=findinghope;15564968]
Quote:

wow, LYNCHBURG LOVER, i dont even know where to start here...too many statements that cannot be true, dare i say ignorant?

so only northerners "***" on cell phones in the grocery store?
only northerners vote democrat
only northerners have unions
i cant be liked if i vote "like a northerner"

southern hospitality at it's finest

Check statistics -- for the most part, pro-union states are northern; right-to-work states are in the south. Did you hear recently about Boeing? There was a plant near Charleston that was union and about to be closed. They voted to de-unionize (sorry if I'm being ignorant; I'm not sure that is a proper term). Boeing just closed a major part of their operation in Washington State and is moving several hundred jobs to SC (a right-to-work state). Did you see the sequel to Norma Rae? Of course not. That's where all the wages and benefits went sky-high and the jobs were shipped over seas.

Generally speaking, all of the above is true. Of course, not ALL of any group does anything. I'll give you that there are plenty of dippy southerners yakking on cells.

But it always makes me wonder if high tax Democrat controlled states with all that union control are such a shang-ri-la, why are so many "Garden Staters" fleeing in droves? And who stated the rumor that NC/SC/VA/ETC, are the promised land?

But I'll stick by my belief that those who relocate and adapt to local customs are welcomed.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:41 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
You just sat here and proved my point. Instead of apologizing for your rude comments about how all we know how to do is pick tobacco, you start going on about how supposedly people demand to hunt on your land. I HIGHLY doubt this is true and if it was, I doubt the horrible southerners said it in that way. They were probably joking around and you with your NY ways took it that way.

I think the problem is with you and how you are stereotyping us, and then you project that disdain and we see it and in turn don't like you. But of course you are going to scream I'm wrong and its all us southerners fault.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
they call it the UNITED STATES of America, but i am honestly starting to think its the 2 nations of northern America and southern America

That is definitely true.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Also, I think we DO welcome our own countrymen -- the ones who adapt and respect our customs and beliefs. It's the ones who come in and try to change the South that we don't care for. You know the ones who *** on a cell phone in the grocery store, drop doors in your face, and complain about ignorant rednecks.

We don't want unions, high taxes, gun control, pushy, rude people, overdevelopment etc. All the things that make the North miserable...
This I (Native NC'ian) agree with. Some Northern transplants do seem to bring the very things they claim to be wanting to get away from, with them to here, particularly when in such massive quantities in such short time.

Quote:
We worry that y'all are going to move in and start electing the same dumb Democrats that got the North in the pickle it's in. (Look at NC/VA turning Obama blue last election -- look at the mess of Perdue/Hagan.)

And, before you get on your high horse, I'm not telling you how to vote; I'm just saying don't expect to be liked if you vote like a Northerner.
This I do not. You cannot say that all Tar Heels are Republicans or politically conservative, by any means. NC has always been a "purple" state at the national level (we tend to have close to 50/50 R/D in the Senate and the House) and NC's state govt has been Democrat-run for decades, with only a few exceptions such as the Jim Martin administration in the 1980s (and he was a pretty moderate Republican). We had Democratic governors and Legislatures long before the latest "fire hose" of transplants was turned on in the past decade. Certainly, the state has gotten a little Bluer with the Northern influence, but you forget the fact that a significant number of Northerners moving here are Republicans. In fact, I've read threads by Northerner republicans moving here to get away from the "Blue State" mentality they were in--so they have made NC "Redder".

My point is, don't turn this into a political discussion on top of the other traits more clearly a result of a high number of non-natives relocating here. This state will never be a "Northern liberal" state but neither is it (nor has it been in a long, long, time) a "heavy Deep South Red state" like Mississippi or Oklahoma, politically. NC has been generally accepted to be among the most "liberal" (or moderate) Southern states politically for over a Century, especially at the state level, which ultimately affects the lives on Tar Heels more than who is elected President or in Congress. Many, many Northerners moving here are Cary-type suburban "country club Republicans" who actually vote GOP. I remember reading that in Jesse Helms' last election, 45% of transplants had voted for Helms. So much for the idea that NC natives are bedrock Republicans and it's only because of the Northeastern Blue influence that people like Bev Purdue and Kay Hagan (both NC natives, hmmm...how does that work?) are in office.

Last edited by Francois; 08-21-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 PM

168 posts, read 494,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim of the State View Post
Count em up,,, taxes on phone, tires,sarellite tv and on and on it goes along with the personal property taxes and the $.15 extra gasoline costs per gallon in NC,,,someone is always in your pocket for fees and taxes for which I at least receive no benefit whatsoever. Since you're such a staunch defender of NC,, I leave it to you and we can agree to disagree. Unless you're determined to put me in my place. Being a freedom lover, I feel resentment to a degree which no one will dissuade me. BTW,, I feel good for your Dad but a $.50 / hr increase in pay is typical in NC. I received a $4.00 / hr increase in VA for merely demonstrating my proficiency in my work,,,,didn't beg and plead for it. In NC,, I worked in service to an ungrateful master for 2 1/2 years without an increase,,,so I quit and moved on.

Sorry for the extremely late response, I have been really, really, really busy

I don't want to argue with you,I just want to address a few things. I honestly haven't noticed a difference in gas at all. As far as sales tax, it does sort-of-kind of benefit you, it goes to the schools, and if the 13 cents I pay on my grocery bill is going to help NC schools for my kids and their kids, then I'm happy to pay it. I have been in NC a short time, but I don't see myself leaving, ever. As far as the pay, it was a 50 cent an hour pay increase from NJ, where he actually took a pay DECREASE every year, and when he gave his two weeks notice they said, "Smart Move, I'm going to do the same thing soon.", and when housing/property taxes are SO much less in NC (there really isn't a debate over that) it is a big deal. A lot of our reason for moving is so I won't have unimaginable student loans, instate tuition for NJ is wayyyyy more than in-state tuition for NC. There are ungrateful companies everywhere, and the fact that you found one in NC and not in VA is just chance.

And to address all NJers as being liberal is completely false. I (as well as my entire family) am extremely conservative. Do I think Chris Christie's plans for NJ will help, a lot, YES, I am a HUGE Christie supporter. But I think that NJ is in a GIANT whole, and it will take work from New Jerseyans to get out of and if they *cough* (teachers) *cough* will act like a bunch of pre-teens and defy every word that comes out of his mouth, then it will take a long while before NJ gets close to being fixed.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:

But it always makes me wonder if high tax Democrat controlled states with all that union control are such a shang-ri-la, why are so many "Garden Staters" fleeing in droves? And who stated the rumor that NC/SC/VA/ETC, are the promised land?

But I'll stick by my belief that those who relocate and adapt to local customs are welcomed.
It's not a secret why people are leaving NJ - the state is completely broken as they push the wealth out. NY isn't far behind... Do a little bit of research and you'll realize quickly why they're "fleeing in droves".

Please give me a couple of examples of "local customs" that you don't see transplants adapting to. That would be extremely educational for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This I (Native NC'ian) agree with. Some Northern transplants do seem to bring the very things they claim to be wanting to get away from, with them to here, particularly when in such massive quantities in such short time.

What are you speaking of them bringing in "massive quantities in such short time"? Their families?!

None of the transplants I meet down here from the "North" seem to have any agenda along the lines that you speak. Rude? Sarcastic? Sure - OK... I see that. But, that can't be the entire basis of this argument.

In the end, you may not want to turn this into a political debate, but it really is... People are coming because your politicians open the doors, roll out the red carpet, and never saw a development proposition they don't like. You're aiming your angst in the wrong direction.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's not a secret why people are leaving NJ - the state is completely broken as they push the wealth out. NY isn't far behind... Do a little bit of research and you'll realize quickly why they're "fleeing in droves".

Please give me a couple of examples of "local customs" that you don't see transplants adapting to. That would be extremely educational for me.
One of the big things for me is that 10 years ago, you could drive around and have people actually use blinkers, wave thanks if you let them in, and a generally nice atmosphere when driving.

I'm not saying all of NC drivers are perfect, but with the huge influx of all of the NY/NJer's the roads have become miserable to be on. You guys always cut people off, don't use blinkers, and have some serious road rage problems.

Gone are the days of people waving a thanks for letting you in.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
One of the big things for me is that 10 years ago, you could drive around and have people actually use blinkers, wave thanks if you let them in, and a generally nice atmosphere when driving.

I'm not saying all of NC drivers are perfect, but with the huge influx of all of the NY/NJer's the roads have become miserable to be on. You guys always cut people off, don't use blinkers, and have some serious road rage problems.

Gone are the days of people waving a thanks for letting you in.
how in the world do you know these people are from NY/NJ?? did we not all switch our plates to NC??

what about the NC'ers who wait 5 minutes before moving foward on a green light? are we going to get this petty...
i live in a small town down here and have gotten to know many people. i know the "natives" and the transplants and just as many NCers dont use their blinkers, pass on the right, talk on the phone while cutting people off etc...

you are grasping at straws here...
you have to admit that the more people move down here ---from ANYWHERE, the more big industry, jobs, retail shops want to come down here, the more diverse cultural experiences you will have that you may not have had before.
i bet 10 years ago the only foods you really had were BBQ, and now maybe you are starting to taste more real Mexican, Italian, Brazilian, Cuban, Portuguese, Indian etc etc foods and families and culture and languages, the more your children will realize that the world is a big place with many customs and differnces and how they are all beautiful and valid.
how can you NOT want all these things??

Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

I said, NC has its share of problem drivers too, but since you starting moving down here in droves, its gotten a lot worse. AND COME ON. Don't you dare tell me that you people aren't rude when driving. I've been up north, and I would never ever drive up there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i bet 10 years ago the only foods you really had were BBQ, and now maybe you are starting to taste more real Mexican, Italian, Brazilian, Cuban, Portuguese, Indian etc etc foods and families and culture and languages, the more your children will realize that the world is a big place with many customs and differnces and how they are all beautiful and valid.
how can you NOT want all these things??

WHAT a flipping arrogant comment. Once again, its no wonder the southerns hate you.

BECAUSE YOU KNOW! THERE is NO way we have any kind of food other than BBQ here. I actually hate NC BBQ thank you and dare I say we have a much larger Mexican population than you do! Oh and FYI some of my favorite foods are Thai and Cuban and have been since I was little.

You people aren't even worth talking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina