Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Vandermark View Post
WOW !!!!!!!!! NO ......... you didn't HAVE to say it. The lady from New England was ONLY asking about various towns. WHAT HAPPENED to Southern hospitality ????? I'm from New York, and also looking for the same type of town. IF anyone from NC was asking for help in NY, we would gladly respond, WITH kindness and RESPECT !!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, she was from Marietta, GEORGIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,608 times
If you want something that's like New England, then go to New England. You won't be happy with a subsitute. My parents moved to Wilson while I was in college here for a semi-retirement and have been okay with it. Charleston, SC may be a good option. Just come visit a few places, and wherever feels comfortable, go.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM

478 posts, read 959,713 times
I live in Davidson, NC. This town itself, has a bit of a New England type feel..... With the college here, it reminds me a bit of Amherst... and the cute little mainstreet is.... in a loosely-based way.... similar to Stockbridge, Mass. But... beyond the perimeter of this town.... it is a growing strip mall city. If Norman Rockwell were alive to do a painting of this area outside of Davidson, it surely would include a Taco Bell and a Wendy's. And probably a traffic jam on I-77.

I miss upstate NY/New England a great deal.... and my advice would be to stay somewhere up there. NC, in my opinion, is way over-rated. I am going to move back sometime soon.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 AM

23 posts, read 94,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I am looking for a nice "New England" style town in NC... something with charm and character... that would be suitable for semi-retirement. We would like something that has some cultural activities so that we don't get bored. I have heard nice things about Pinehurst. Any info on that area or other suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi. Yes, I have been to Pinehurst, and it is a lovely town. I hope you come visit and you find it enjoyable. It has plenty of shops, and atmosphere. I can tell you from experience. It has a lot of antique stores, which you will find enjoyable. Come visit first, and you will fall in love. Pamela

Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
New England is New England, Upstate New York is Upstate New York and North Carolina is North Carolina. They all have their own charm and because they are geographically far apart from eachother, they will be different. That said, what's wrong with looking for a bit of what's familiar when relocating to a new place?

I lived in the Pacific Northwest and California for a long time and now I live on the East Coast. I don't ski anymore because I found myself complaining about the lack of vertical feet, riding the chair and freezing for what amounted to a minute ski down the hill (not a mountain, a hill), etc. When I want to ski now, I plan a trip back to the West Coast or the Rocky Mountains. If and when I ever get down to NC, I will miss some things about New England for sure--the quaint individual character of all the towns being number one. But that list is surpassed by the things I won't miss: high cost of living, rude people, long cold winters, etc. I will certainly come back to visit or for vacations, just as I go back as often as I can to Seattle. I can't move Mt. Rainier here, but I can go back to visit it!

All this doesn't mean I can't look for some familiar comforts of places I've lived. I spent some time in the Triangle area and quickly decided Cary wasn't for me, as well as the other towns experiencing explosive growth, strip malls, planned housing developments, etc. Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough were much more enticing. But that's just me and that's because I am looking for a little slice of familiarity. The rest of NC: the beautiful beaches, the mountains, the mild winters, the friendly people, the slower pace of life, the lower cost of living--I will embrace wholeheartedly.

Last edited by findingmesomeday; 07-10-2007 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: clairification

Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 PM

44 posts, read 200,922 times
New Bern, Beaufort, Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville, Pittsboro, Chapel Hill, Pine Hurst/Southern Pines, Wilmington??

Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Vandermark View Post
WOW !!!!!!!!! NO ......... you didn't HAVE to say it. The lady from New England was ONLY asking about various towns. WHAT HAPPENED to Southern hospitality ????? I'm from New York, and also looking for the same type of town. IF anyone from NC was asking for help in NY, we would gladly respond, WITH kindness and RESPECT !!!!!!!!!!!
Yer gosh-darned right!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,707 times
I'm glad you said that NChomesomeday!! I have read responses on a few of the different threads and I have to say, although some of the people were helpful, some of the other ones were as far from that as possible(usually the same people over and over with nasty negativity). Although I am not a NC native, I do know a little of the western area of NC since I lived there for a while and do plan to move back in a couple of months. If you are looking for charm, then Blowing Rock or Dillsboro (my favorite of the two) would be good possibilities for WNC, Waynesville is also a good place (that's where I'm headed). I agree with the familiarity thing NChomesomeday said too! Boy do I miss that Space Needle, those Cascades, and really tall evergreens something fierce sometimes!! Thankfully I never did ski though . I hope you had enough real help to have places to explore for your new home, NorthMeetsSouth!!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
[quote=NChomesomeday;1037557]New England is New England, Upstate New York is Upstate New York and North Carolina is North Carolina. They all have their own charm and because they are geographically far apart from eachother, they will be different. That said, what's wrong with looking for a bit of what's familiar when relocating to a new place?

Thank you... that is how I feel. I grew up in NY but I moved to GA 14 years ago. I guess Atlanta is enough of a melting pot that I never had the sense of animosity toward northerners that is displayed on many of the NC threads. I don't go around telling southerners "how we did it up North" and I really don't understand why some people are so thin-skinned that they take offense to my reference to a "New England style town" which, everyone knows, is simply charming.
By the way, I am married to a man who is born and bred in NC and when we discussed moving from GA to NC he said that he'd get along fine but I was fixin' to get a dose of "you ain't one of us!". Well, I have gotten some of that and I have also gotten information from some very friendly people, so I guess it is like any other state... a lot of friendly people with a few malcontents thrown in for good measure.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM

87 posts, read 361,045 times
I am disheartedned to see such harsh and bitter remarks all in response to a person asking nicely if someone knew of a town that had New England character or similar charm that they could recommend...I mean I thought the whole point of these forums was to share information and help others who are not familar with certain areas or states.

New England towns are quaint and beautiful and for people familar with living in that environment...is it wrong they ask someone who may know the south where perhaps another town (down south) is, that is similar in type?...They are not asking to change anyone's town or pretend they are in New England...they are simply asking...FOR HELP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina