U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Working with real estate agents, how to find a good real estate agent, trouble staying a realtor, seeking advice on being able to stay with same real estate professional

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 28,241,968 times

Advertisements

I checked on a townhouse that I just sold. Its an older townhouse in a neighborhood surrounded by houses. My client is the buyer. We paid $137,000. Zillow has it at $168,000. I have no problem with anyone using any tools that will help them. I'm just saying that you should have trust in your Realtor and if you don't, you are working with the wrong agent. I SHOW my clients how I get to the price and where my information comes from. I sit down with all my first time homebuyers and take an hour explaining the process to them, so they feel comfortable. Maybe in the furture, zillow will get better and become more accurate. I think that would be great. It would just be another source for me to use, as well! Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,739,075 times
Default Listingbook

Uuummm, I don't understand I was told when my agent here setup my listingbook that I could only get in state listings? What is up with that? At the time I set it up with her I was looking at properties in SC, VA, GA now u are telling me I could have got one set up for other states? I wonder why that was? Now, I am thinking CO, ID, or OR.......Can I get listingbook for those as well? And if so, how do I do that?

Thank You

Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 AM

463 posts, read 1,516,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal
Uuummm, I don't understand I was told when my agent here setup my listingbook that I could only get in state listings? What is up with that? At the time I set it up with her I was looking at properties in SC, VA, GA now u are telling me I could have got one set up for other states? I wonder why that was? Now, I am thinking CO, ID, or OR.......Can I get listingbook for those as well? And if so, how do I do that?

Thank You
Hi Sillygal,

You'd need to find a Realtor in each of those states who utilizes Listing Book.

I don't recall anyone saying that a Realtor in one state could set up a listing book account for a prospective client who is looking in multiple states. If they did I missed it. Unless the Realtor is licensed in all of those states, they aren't able to sell real estate there, so what would be the point of him/her having a Listing Book in each of them?

I know of a few Realtors who live near a state borders who are dual licensed, but if you think about it, a NC realtor isn't going to want to fly into VA, Georgia, or SC to try to sell a home in areas they know nothing about.

Ditto with those in CO, ID, or Oregon, unless perhaps they are close to the border of the states, are dual licensed, and that particular area in which they work is the one in which you're looking. I'm not a Realtor, so perhaps one will chime in and explain it better than I have.

Regards,
Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-14-2006 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM

393 posts, read 1,739,075 times
Cassie, thank you for the reply, I meant to say, that when I met a realtor from CO, they didn't offer to set me up with CO listingbook.com. I guess I must of thought this was a regional NC thing........Don't know why I thought that? LOL. It is something offered from Coldwell Bankers all over the US I guess......... I wasn't thinkin!!! was I?

Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM

463 posts, read 1,516,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal
Cassie, thank you for the reply, I meant to say, that when I met a realtor from CO, they didn't offer to set me up with CO listingbook. I guess I must of thought this was a regional NC thing........Don't know why I thought that? LOL. It is something offered from Coldwell Bankers all over the US I guess......... I wasn't thinkin!!! was I?
You're welcome for the reply

Not all of them utilize it regardless of real estate firm. My listing agent in VA had never heard of it and she's been with Long and Foster for over 20 years. She was fabulous, btw. It's possible that Listing Book may not be available in all areas of the country but that's just a guess on my part. I don't really know.

I had scoured VA for a year and 1/2 before we moved back to NC, spoke with or contacted many agents, and no one ever offered to set me up with a Listing Book account.

It seems to be popular in NC though and I found it really helpful.

Cassie

Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 AM

My company, which is now affiliated with Long and Foster, has a similar way to search. Its called "Automatic Home Finder". However, it doesn't really tell you the areas in which you'd WANT to live. What I usually do is after I've figured out where my folks want to be, I sign them up. Its especially helpful if you have a particular neighborhood you want to live in. Then as soon as a new listing comes online for that neighborhood, they send it over to you.

As a note...if you do not put down that you have an agent...the company considers it a possible lead and may give your name out to a particular agent and then expect that agent to pay a "relocation fee".

Yes, I know...you all think we work at 6% and get to keep it all. Unfortunately...that 6% is divided 4 ways...but I'm not complaining...I've been selling houses long enuff that I give my company a very small share!!!

Vicki

Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,870 times
Another problem with Realtors (I am one) is agents listing properties outside of their immediate area. Our MLS and Board encompass a very large geographic area in the Western part of the state. I am in a rural section and often the listing agents will take a listing so far out that they have no intention of even showing it. They just hope it will sell so they can share in the sale. Sometimes these listings are based purely on price. In other words, the higest listing price means they get the listing.
If you are looking for property in a specific location find a Realtor in the "neighborhood", not in the next county! They should know the answers to the questions you will ask as well as what the market value should be, regardless of the listing price. If they don't know the answers, they should be able to give you the contacts at the agency or government level that can answer your question(s) definitively.
Also, I have seen more than one deal shot down because of an appraisal after the contract was signed. The lending institutions don't like lending money on property that is inflated. If you are a cash buyer, a licensed appraisal can be well worth the expense incurred. That's why the banks usually require one!
It boils down to the fact that there are good, mediocre and bad in all professions. I get calls daily on listings from folks who have no intention of buying anything. When they ask to see the 4 acres with the mobile and also the 30 acre raw land listing then they are not ready. Our area is very hot, still, and the number of calls on my 800# are staggering. If you are serious, have your loans figured out and rates locked in, know what kind of property you want, how large a home, and what you can afford to spend, your Realtor will know you mean business and will bust their chops for you. Not to mention you will already have this part done and your bank will tell you how much you can spend!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,566,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
My company, which is now affiliated with Long and Foster, has a similar way to search. Its called "Automatic Home Finder". However, it doesn't really tell you the areas in which you'd WANT to live. What I usually do is after I've figured out where my folks want to be, I sign them up. Its especially helpful if you have a particular neighborhood you want to live in. Then as soon as a new listing comes online for that neighborhood, they send it over to you.

As a note...if you do not put down that you have an agent...the company considers it a possible lead and may give your name out to a particular agent and then expect that agent to pay a "relocation fee".

Yes, I know...you all think we work at 6% and get to keep it all. Unfortunately...that 6% is divided 4 ways...but I'm not complaining...I've been selling houses long enuff that I give my company a very small share!!!

Vicki
3% to each Broker. Then each agent gets a % off that 3%. Average is 1.5%

Old 08-15-2006, 03:14 PM

Umm...not in Raleigh. Listing agent gets 3.6% if its a 6% listing and selling agent gets 2.4%. Each agent then splits with their company, based on their experience. If its a new home listing...2.5%...so its all so different. By the way...do you ask your doctor how much they make??? Vicki

Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,649,825 times
you go girl but

I guess because a realtors commission is seen and a known thing and so directly tied to people personally( how much less they get in their pocket after a sale, its more of an issue and probably pyschological

They deduct our ins prem from our ck, I go to the dr, they bill the ins co and I do not give it a thought...

Studies have shown that money and spending it does have a pyshc impact, it's easier to spend $1000 on a cc then take it out of your pocket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or