Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 31,282 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give us an idea of what Goldsboro is like? Schools, neighborhoods, traffic, weather, likes or dislikes? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Trying to uproot family to NC, been living in Miami for so long, I really miss the small town southern feel. But not too small, hospitals, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I lived near Goldsboro for close to a year (in La Grange). I thought Goldsboro was unattractive. La Grange is a cute, small town (population less than 4000), but there really isn't much to do in that area of NC (Goldsboro/La Grange/Kinston).

Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM

42 posts, read 183,091 times
I'm from Goldsboro but I've lived away for a few years traveling with a military DH. We've always gone back there though for long visits because it's where all our family still lives. We're back closer now and I love it.

Schools, stay out of the Goldsboro City schools and go toward the county schools. The Eastern Wayne school district is good, as is the Rosewood district but it's a community about 15 minutes from Goldsboro.

There is no traffic to speak about except for summer weekend traffic down Hwy 70 to the beach. Otherwise, it's very slow paced.

The weather is great, but then it's what I grew up with. I've been up north in the freezing winters and down in TX for the blistering summers. Summer in Gboro is very humid and hot, but no more than a few 100+ days all summer. Winter can very. We usually get more ice storms than snow, though in the past couple of years we've gotten more snow because Raleigh has gotten more snow. We can also feel the effects of the hurricanes with high winds and strong thunderstorms.

The hospital there, well I wouldn't want to have anything serious treated there. It's a small hospital, but from Gboro you can be in Greenville at the teaching hospital in 45 minutes. It's a very good hospital, plus you wouldn't be that far to Chapel Hill, another excellent hospital.

Goldsboro is growing by leaps and bounds. Every time we'd come back for a holiday or vacation, there would always be a new business, restaurant, shop or subdivision going up.

If I can help anymore with other questions, I'd be glad to

Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 PM

110 posts, read 455,994 times
Very helpful thread. I am considering a move to that very area, if I get a job that I've applied for. I was a little concerned about crime statistics in Goldsboro and Kinston. Seems a little better in the towns just south of Greenville (Grifton, Winterville, Ayden). All I know about the area is what I've read, mostly on real estate websites. Can you give me any idea about which towns in that area would have the best chance of significant property value appreciation? If we move, I would plan to move back to Oregon for retirement, because my grown kids and grandkids are here. So I would hope that whatever home I buy in NC is a good investment. We would probably keep our home here in Oregon and rent it out, because appreciation here has been great and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM

42 posts, read 183,091 times
Kinston is a bad area crime wise. There have been more gang related crimes going on there lately.

La Grange is a small town in between Goldsboro and Kinston, with very little crime. A lot of La Grange is rural, but the property values are going up. (My dad bought a new house in a new community, and in 2 years it's gone up almost 30%) It's growing because so many people want to get away from the crime in Kinston and the military in Goldsboro.

Ayden, Grifton, and Winterville all are very small rural areas like La Grange which is probably why the crime is low. Since they are so small, I'm not sure if the property value will rise as quickly as it would in say Goldsboro or Greenville.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:05 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Very helpful thread. I am considering a move to that very area, if I get a job that I've applied for. I was a little concerned about crime statistics in Goldsboro and Kinston. Seems a little better in the towns just south of Greenville (Grifton, Winterville, Ayden). All I know about the area is what I've read, mostly on real estate websites. Can you give me any idea about which towns in that area would have the best chance of significant property value appreciation? If we move, I would plan to move back to Oregon for retirement, because my grown kids and grandkids are here. So I would hope that whatever home I buy in NC is a good investment. We would probably keep our home here in Oregon and rent it out, because appreciation here has been great and I wouldn't want to lose that.
I have good friends in all three towns you mentioned. I think that anything near Greenville is a good investment. I bought a house in G.ville and sold it after three years. Made about $10,000.
Winterville is just like an extension of Greenville now. This puts you close to Pitt Memorial Hospital. My wife was a nurse there. It is a fantastic hospital. Winterville also has the best cat fish in the South. Go do Dixie Queen restaurant. It's great.
Ayden, is still a small town unto itself. However, eventually the development will come straight up hwy 11 and merge into greater Greenville. The housing prices there are less than Winterville, but will appreciate over the next few years as people move out that direction. It has a golf course and some of the most redneck restaurants you will ever see.
Grifton is farther away and getting more into the Kinston area. Personally, the only reason we ever went to Grifton was to play golf. I don't see it as being as prosperous as the areas closer to Greenville.
If you move to that area be prepared for:
Long Hot and Humid Summers
Lots of Pig Pickens and BBQ
Lots of Anti-Yankee talk
Friendly people, with a very distinct Southern Brogue (to coin a phrase). My wife and I used to call it marble mouth.
A very Tobacco friendly culture.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I live in Greene County, about 17 miles from Goldsboro and I lived their briefly in 1984-1985 when I left my first husband. I didn't see anything exciting about the place. The Seymour Johnson Air Force Base is there if you are military. My son was in the hospital there back in June of this year and they were great there. I have been in the ER after a car accident a few years ago and again they were great there. But as for the town, it is just like many, many more smaller towns in North Carolina. It has the essentials like a hospital, Walmarts, a mall, etc. and reasonable schools that I saw when my two kids went there. But I wouldn't break my neck to move back there. Greenville has a much larger and better equipped hospital in my opinion but if you are from a very large northern city, you are in for shock even with the towns of Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, and the like.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:14 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Goldsboro is a somewhat typical NC town. There is some light industry there and agriculture is extemely big in the outlying areas. I don't think it deserves the blah stigma it seems to have achieved on this board. I see the air base as more a positive for the different perspectives of the folks from all over the US...and it does offer some economic gain and stability.
Been to the ER there and they were very professional...and they got the billing/insurance correct first time. I am currently a part time student at the community college there...it's new and very nice (www.waynecc.edu) (broken link).
They offer some neat degree programs like aircraft powerframe and powerplant, nursing, CNC machining (my major), etc.

I will say there is an undercurrent of drug use and lately rumors of MS-13 gang activity, but this is probably true of every city in the US.

I personally find the outlying rural areas and the Neuse river very appealing.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM

324 posts, read 387,247 times
My first recolection of Goldsboro (when I was assigned there in the 70s) was a sign of welcome saying in part "help fight communism and integration."

Fortunately this was not a reflection of what I experienced. I even met my future wife there!

walessp

Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
My first recolection of Goldsboro (when I was assigned there in the 70s) was a sign of welcome saying in part "help fight communism and integration."

Fortunately this was not a reflection of what I experienced. I even met my future wife there!

walessp
You resurrected an 11 year old thread to post that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina