U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,175 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to see if anyone knows a good attorney outside of asheville? I was in the car with a buddy of mine, we were driving to florida and he got nailed for 105 in a 70 zone. The cop said he could have arrested him on the spot and had the car impounded. Is that true? He got 6 tickets, 2 are criminal citations for "Speeding 105/70" "Reckless Operation" and one is for "careless driving", among a bunch of others for no seat belt, having a tail lamp out and something else. None of the big ones have price tags on them. The court house said the fines could end up being over $1,000 if he pleas guilty. We are thinking of just bailing the state and never going back unless someone knows a good attorney that doesnt cost more than 500 bucks.

By the way, this was at 3:30 am and nobody was on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times
I believe an officer can arrest anyone at anytime if the law has been broken?

I am reminded that even at 3:30 a.m. doing 105 mph through Asheville can get one killed, even when NO ONE else is on the road. NC is trying to get the signs put up that say SPEED LIMIT 70 MPH ONLY WHEN OTHER CARS ARE PRESENT but so far there is no funding available to pay for them.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,089,977 times
Wow, I'm pissed at the cop for not arresting your friend. I think we'd all be better off if you bail this state and never come back. And please let us know what state you'll be in so we know to avoid it!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

I am reminded that even at 3:30 a.m. doing 105 mph through Asheville can get one killed, even when NO ONE else is on the road. NC is trying to get the signs put up that say SPEED LIMIT 70 MPH ONLY WHEN OTHER CARS ARE PRESENT but so far there is no funding available to pay for them.
Maybe they should say "Speed Limit 70 MPH 5:00 am - 1:00 am. At 3:30 am it is catch as catch can".

Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,143,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Maybe that's why the officer dished out so many citations, just trying to get the funding around...

Seriously, OP .. I don't care if it is 3pm or 3am, speed limit is the speed limit. Get busted for 105/70 ... well, it wasn't a secret that the speed limit was 70 was it?

I've done my share of traveling 10+ hours in the car during the dead of night. I think hitting 105 along the highway is a little careless and ridiculous. YOU should be glad your friend didn't hit a deer in the process. That would've most likely been a very serious, potential fatal accident.

Ohhh... BTW, if your friend DOES bail on the state and let "by gones be by gones" on this... Don't think it won't catch up, it will. You might want to look into the laws on how tickets are treated if accused doesn't show up in court or pay the fine. Oh, and just wait until the car insurance company finds out!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM

983 posts, read 3,524,449 times
Oh, if he doesn't show, then his record will show a Failure to Appear, and his license, whatever state his license is in, will be REVOKED.

105 is BEYOND careless & reckless...you BOTH could have been killed. Don't have to be other cars on the road.... Plenty of troopers investigate 1-car wrecks with more than one fatality in the car!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,149,031 times
No sympathy here either, I hope they nail his a$$. NO ONE should ever be going that fast on a public roadway. Hitting a deer, blowing a tire, hitting debris in the road...it all could have led to tragedy. In my opinion, whatever fines or sentence he may face would not be stiff enough for the blatant disregard for the law, the carelessness and arrogance.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,786,596 times
Unfortunately your friend needs severe Autobahn therapy. Not that much freedom here

Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,414,338 times
What's next? Jail, I would expect.

Why are you trying to rescue this guy? If he was doing 105/70 IMHO he was showing reckless disregard for life and property. Sounds like a spoiled brat to me, who needs to face up to what he has done in order to mature properly.

Back off and let him face the music. Oh, and what the others have said is true: If he doesn't show up in court, NC law will not just sweep the tickets under the rug. He might then have a warrant out for his arrest. Not the best way to live.

Later that same day...
O.M.G. I just read your OTHER post of 9/9/08. Haven't learned a thing, have you? Did they take your BMW away yet?

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 07-15-2010 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM

588 posts, read 961,056 times
Good catch, JoanD'Arc.

OP, bear in mind that, at 3:30 a.m. or at any time with no other cars on the road, there will be nothing to obstruct the police's observation of you, doing 105 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina