Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,877 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am a 22 year old college grad looking for a new experience. I was born and raised in southern CA...even going to college in Los Angeles. Now that I am done with school, I don't think I am quite ready to settle down in one place and start a career. I haven't really ever been to the east coast (only 4 days in NYC) and I have heard so many great things about NC.

I am looking to move only for a year. I was a film major and I am still in love all things that have to do with entertainment industry so I plan on moving back to L.A. to start working on films.

The information I am really looking for is, would I be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment on a 30-40 hour per week part time job income? What are the cheapest, yet safe and clean areas to live? I am a huge hockey nut (LA Kings season ticket holder) and I would love to travel to other hockey cities, especially when my Kings come out east, so is NC fairly easy travel to places like Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Washington and other places like that? And in order to do that travel, would you suggest train? Car? Plane?

Any other information you guys could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,070,272 times
A part time job that pays enough to travel the East Coast to follow the Kings? You hould have no trouble paying for an apartment if the job pays well enough to travel.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,783,832 times
Gotta ask...Why Charlotte....Atlanta,/Dallas/Denver/....those are areas that are on the upswing I say this with good intentions..first of all...It really amazes me that people are still looking to relocate to NC...As a native of CLT. NC just dont see the hoopla about NC...Me personally....relocating out west...Better opportunities/More of a cultural arts scene...Bottom line is this NC can be very conservative, very staunch and not that progressive....plus...NC will tax the hell out ya..... If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
First of all, one thread cannot possibly give you "any and all info on moving to NC". That's why there are hundreds of threads here, which you ought to be searching/reading.

Second, a film major in NC? Wilmington is the main place there's ever been any "action" there, but you need to be researching jobs before you move here because NC's job market is bad.

What (if any) research have you done so far, that you picked NC? These board are best utilized after a person has already done at least basic research and found a handful of cities with job prospects in their industry, and ask for advice on narrowing them down. Wanting strangers on the internet to give you "any and all info" on moving here, with scant criteria other than access to east coast hockey games, is not going to produce much valuable information, I suspect.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,250,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookng4new_exprnce View Post
Hi Everyone,

The information I am really looking for is, would I be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment on a 30-40 hour per week part time job income? What are the cheapest, yet safe and clean areas to live? I am a huge hockey nut (LA Kings season ticket holder) and I would love to travel to other hockey cities, especially when my Kings come out east, so is NC fairly easy travel to places like Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Washington and other places like that?
Do you have an idea of what your job would be? It sounds like this is what you want:

- 30-40 hours work at any sort of job (real career to begin when you move back to California)
- cheap, safe, clean place to rent an apartment
- enough money left over to travel around to see hockey games

Now the problems:

- Finding a job of any sort is not easy right now.
- Housing is inexpensive compared to the Los Angeles area, so that job might actually provide you enough for an apartment. However, it may not be in a safe, clean place, especially if you are saving money for hockey games.
- You will not have enough money to travel to those other cities. You might not even have enough to go to Hurricanes games very often.
- You'll also have to figure in the cost of two cross-country moves.

But if you have savings to work with, that's a different story.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,877 times
Thanks for your responses guys. I think the best choice for me is to wait a year and save up some money before I do this. I do appreciate your responses, they actually did help me with my decisions.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses guys. I think the best choice for me is to wait a year and save up some money before I do this. I do appreciate your responses, they actually did help me with my decisions.
Glad to help But really, your questions were too global. "Any and all info" would fill an encyclopedia.

As you'r spending the next year saving money, use Google (etc) and Wikipedia to learn about some of the areas you're interested in; research companies you may want to work for and apply to them, and when it's eminent that you may be moving to NC, come back with a list of specific questions about specific areas and we'll do what we can wtih them

Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 PM

240 posts, read 557,538 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I am a 22 year old college grad looking for a new experience. I was born and raised in southern CA...even going to college in Los Angeles. Now that I am done with school, I don't think I am quite ready to settle down in one place and start a career. I haven't really ever been to the east coast (only 4 days in NYC) and I have heard so many great things about NC.

I am looking to move only for a year. I was a film major and I am still in love all things that have to do with entertainment industry so I plan on moving back to L.A. to start working on films.

The information I am really looking for is, would I be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment on a 30-40 hour per week part time job income? What are the cheapest, yet safe and clean areas to live? I am a huge hockey nut (LA Kings season ticket holder) and I would love to travel to other hockey cities, especially when my Kings come out east, so is NC fairly easy travel to places like Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Washington and other places like that? And in order to do that travel, would you suggest train? Car? Plane?

Any other information you guys could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck! L.A. is one city I am considering a move to for all the reasons you've mentioned and more. For travel to more cities, I would suggest flying. No matter how you get somewhere, it will cost you some money. Personally, driving is my favorite way to go, but it's just so tiresome. You could say I go up to DC on a regular basis. For buying a house or renting an apartment, I refuse to do either one of those things here for personal reasons. This state is very over-rated IMO.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM

240 posts, read 557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Gotta ask...Why Charlotte....Atlanta,/Dallas/Denver/....those are areas that are on the upswing I say this with good intentions..first of all...It really amazes me that people are still looking to relocate to NC...As a native of CLT. NC just dont see the hoopla about NC...Me personally....relocating out west...Better opportunities/More of a cultural arts scene...Bottom line is this NC can be very conservative, very staunch and not that progressive....plus...NC will tax the hell out ya..... If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.

Funny how you should say that, and I agree. North Carolina is tax hell on almost anything. It makes me sick. I was and have also been considering a move to Denver, CO. When I last visited that city, I had a blast. One of the last times I checked, it made the #1 list for singles. NC is no place for singles. That whole family thing rules down here, and you will have your average NC joe asking you questions such as: ''where is your family'' or ''where is your lover'' if you are single. At times, I have responded !@#$ you. For those reasons, I try to leave NC to do anything fun. People's enthusiasm for things down here bites. I have been trying to move out of this awful place for years. The people here are rude as !@#$. I too don't understand what the big deal is about NC. It's pretty over-rated if you ask me. The last time I was in Charlotte, it looked like it hadn't progressed much since the 1970's.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM

15 posts, read 25,380 times
Another person trying to move to NC -shakes head-
Like you iabhornc, I am also looking into Denver after I graduate college next year! My boyfriend and I are so tired of NC, right now we live right outside Asheville and it is nothing special I can tell you that much. If you honestly believe NC is the place for you then by all means go ahead. The job market stinks for those of us who already live here...so you might want to land one first. Besides, even though NC is known for being affordable, there is still much saving to be done when considering a move from LA.
My advice? Come and see this place for yourself...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You'll either love it or hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina