Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 27,465 times

Advertisements

I was wonderling if nc has more northerns or southerns. Also dose nc have a deep southern accent, not really one or nothern accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanmash View Post
I was wonderling if nc has more northerns or southerns. Also dose nc have a deep southern accent, not really one or nothern accent?
NC has a majority of southerners.

Charlotte and Raleigh, our biggest two cities, now how more northerners than southerners.

Southerners here do have southern accents. But you will hear all kinds of accents if you are in the cities.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 PM

983 posts, read 3,971,774 times
In the community where I live, there are maybe a handful of "Yankees." And yes, we have a deep southern accent.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
The Big Metros that have personalities that tend to be from somewg=here else what a crazy question you would think that your still fighting Civil War and does it really matter maybe us locals are offended
because the attitude like yoursel;f who so self conscious and unable to adapt to way the locals do it say or way thing are. I know plenty of cities that have concentration of people are from
somewhere else try google you will find countless of sites including um clicking
the city icon above that will tell you where people have relocated from or heck try the search feature
Ive done 2 threads with such data find them

Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh, our biggest two cities, now how more northerners than southerners.
Can't speak for Raleigh, but that's not true at all for Charlotte.

At any rate, North Carolina is still very much a Southern state, inhabited mostly by...Southerners. I have no clue why anyone would think otherwise. That's practically true of just about all Southern states (Florida may be close to an exception). And I'm not sure what a "deep Southern" accent is, but you'll find more of the stereotypical Southern drawl in the rural areas.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,863,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

At any rate, North Carolina is still very much a Southern state, inhabited mostly by...Southerners. I have no clue why anyone would think otherwise. That's practically true of just about all Southern states (Florida may be close to an exception). And I'm not sure what a "deep Southern" accent is, but you'll find more of the stereotypical Southern drawl in the rural areas.
Even that varies. People down east, tend to talk fast. The worst of them sound like boomhauer from King of the Hill. I've noticed the accent slows the farther west you go. I worked with a girl from Asheville who drew out every word she said and to me it seemed like it took 5 min for her to say a sentence. Alot of old timers on Harker's Isalnd still speak the queen's english. Not the english they speak in England now, but the dialect from the 1600s. Not so much with the younger generation with their exposure to media.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

Wish I could find the link - it was reported by the Charlotte Observer last year that Charlotte now has less than a 50% population of southerners.

Now maybe that 50%+ isn't all northerners, but it sure does feel like it is sometimes

Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wish I could find the link - it was reported by the Charlotte Observer last year that Charlotte now has less than a 50% population of southerners.

Now maybe that 50%+ isn't all northerners, but it sure does feel like it is sometimes
I also remember seeing a map that detailed which counties newcomers to Mecklenburg County where coming from. A lot of those counties were from elsewhere in the Carolinas--a lot of those actually registered the highest tallies.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
NC is most definitely a Southern state. The urban areas have lots of Northerners, but is there a Southern state anywhere that doesn't (or for that matter, a state anywhere where the urban areas don't have high populations of folks "from elsewhere"?) In general, even in the cities, the culture is still Southern but we have lots of good things Northerners and foreigners have introduced (foods, nightclubs, etc). You will hear every accent there is, but Northerners tend to lose the "edge" of their accents and at the same time Southerners' accents move more toward "generic American" as well, particulalry when speaking to a non-Southerner. Which of course is what happens when people of different backgrounds mingle--they tend to move toward the middle on various scales.

What is the read-between-the-lines of your question? In other words, why are you asking this?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:49 PM

63 posts, read 93,363 times
Default In regards to NC accents

Well my family is from southeastern NC, Lillington all the way to Nakina(south of Whiteville) and we talk slow. The older generations(such as my Great Grandadddy) even slower. However, if you study into regional dialects you will find that they typically change from generation to generation basically evolving. Nothing stays the same so why would people expect the way people talk to remain the same also? Now Im not saying all natives NC people in the southeastern part of the state talk "slow" but I gurantee you that if you drive down to Tabor City, Pireway, Chadbourn or Nakina and talk to the locals you will hear an accent completely unique to not only NC but also the rest of the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina