Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how many houses are in these sub-divisions?

Pools and tennis courts seem to be the thing - do these get really crowded?

Do the sub-divisions interwine with other areas? Is there one way in/out?

Here where I am, we have no sub - divisions, there are a few out east where newer houses on being built but I would say 80-90% of all houses on LI are just neighborhoods of houses on streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
I think the size of the subdivisions can vary greatly. I checked into CP Morgran homes for my grandparents and they received information on one community (Hartwell I think) as being "small" with 160 homes (something like that). A newer community they were building in Clover would eventually have 320. The one with fewer homes sounded more ideal. Oddly, the representative noted that it was one of the few communities that would have a pool. I thought things like pools and tennis courts were the main attraction for these places. If they don't have either, what do the fees cover?

As for use of the amentities, I have lived in a couple of apartment buildings with pools and again, odd as it sounds, in neither building did the pools get much use. Of course, this might be different in an area with lots of children or young adults.

SL

Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Pretty much every house in Wake County is in a subdivision unless it's in a very rural area. Many of them are connected; but only if they are built by the same developer. Many are also subdivided... especially the huge ones like Wakefield Plantaion, Lochmere, Preston, and Haddon Hall, McGregger, etc.. You will find dozens of sub-subdivisions within each of those developments. Pools will definitely be crouded durring summer; the tennis courts not so much though.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:51 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Pretty much every house in Wake County is in a subdivision unless it's in a very rural area. Many of them are connected; but only if they are built by the same developer. Many are also subdivided... especially the huge ones like Wakefield Plantaion, Lochmere, Preston, and Haddon Hall, McGregger, etc.. You will find dozens of sub-subdivisions within each of those developments. Pools will definitely be crouded durring summer; the tennis courts not so much though.
In these sub sub ones, is there a pool for each sub or for everyone?

How do you know just those are using it, is there a pass or id?

Just curious who do they sub divide a sub division?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Yes, you have to pay yearly dues to use the pool and get a special key in most of the mega-developments. Lochmere had two really big pools, whcih I guess would mean about 1000 houses per pool. (there were about 2000 homesights in the entire development I think) The yearly fees for use of the pools, tennis courts, and volleyball courts was $500, with a charge of $1500 to initially join (that was 2000 bucks the first year just to swim in the pool). Not sure about the other developments.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Does anyone know how many houses are in these sub-divisions?

Pools and tennis courts seem to be the thing - do these get really crowded?

Do the sub-divisions interwine with other areas? Is there one way in/out?

Here where I am, we have no sub - divisions, there are a few out east where newer houses on being built but I would say 80-90% of all houses on LI are just neighborhoods of houses on streets.

The number of homes is different for every subdivision. I looked at tons of places before I picked mine (it has 185 homes & a community pool). The largest one I saw was Curtis Pond in Mooresville. When it's completed, there will be 900 homes & 3 pools! Morrison Plantation is another large developement, not sure how many homes are in that one. Most of them have one way in & out, no through roads. Their not neighborhoods like we're familiar with (LI & NY).

BxRosie

Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,055 times
Default subdivisions

As an aside, you will find that much of the housing in the boom areas of the south will be in subdivisions. The south was largely rural through the middle part of the 20th century except for some of the cities. You will therefore find older, established neighborhoods near the city centers of Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, etc, but the growth in the outskirts (or what was outskirts 30 yrs ago) will be from farmland or other rural land that has been purchased by developers and subdivided over the years.

Compare this to the northeast - cities like Boston, NYC, etc had large populations and industrial centers well before many areas of the south. Since land was at a premium even in the 1800's in the northeast, the housing was clustered back then, which created urban centers and neighborhoods unlike those in the south.

Take the RTP area for example. The actual Research Park was founded in the late 1950's or early 1960's, and there was nothing between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill at that time except for some dairy farms, pastures, and probably tobacco fields. Much of the housing you see in that area is relatively new and came from those fields that I just mentioned - not exactly conducive to building apartments, row-houses, other tightly-knit communities since the land was cheap and there weren't any corner stores or businesses to walk or take a bus to.

The only housing that developed around heavy industry in the south (apart from some of the larger cities) were the mill villages in smaller towns that have since either been abandoned, torn down, or maintained as lower-income properties.

Last edited by JAS; 08-09-2006 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Pretty much every house in Wake County is in a subdivision unless it's in a very rural area.
OR in an Urban area.

Subdivisions = suburbs.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Yeah..... but there is MUCH more rural wake county than true "urban" wake county. DT Raleigh pretty nice and does have some nice old houses on traditional dense streets..... but it's extremely limited and damned near impossible to find one for sale.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,055 times
Default urban

Quote:
Yeah..... but there is MUCH more rural wake county than true "urban" wake county. DT Raleigh pretty nice and does have some nice old houses on traditional dense streets..... but it's extremely limited and damned near impossible to find one for sale.
For the most part, that's similar to Greensboro - what you typically find is either very expensive or in need of repair. I believe, however, that Greensboro has more of these neighborhoods since it was an industrial center way back in the early/mid 1900's, even more than Raleigh was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina