U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM

909 posts, read 705,131 times
Oh, please. This is NOT an ego blow for us...And we'll find out, who's truly more populated when the Census data is released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM

7,469 posts, read 8,209,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Oh, please. This is NOT an ego blow for us...And we'll find out, who's truly more populated when the Census data is released.
1. Even if the Census puts Meck first, it's only temporary.
2. To the person who purposely went into the Wake page, it WAS an ego blow. if it weren't, he/she would have left it alone. I am glad it's not an ego blow for you.

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,212,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I always have to laugh at the idea of the Texas Triangle given that the cities are so far apart. But, then again, in Houston alone, the suburbs go on forever!
My purpose for bringing up the Texas Triangle is that their respective economies actually complement each other and not necessarily compete against each other. Think about how the economy of the state would be if the Triad, Triangle, and Metrolina(?, just trying to throw in a nickname for us) all had economies that complemented each other? Tht along with the business friendly environment of NC, it would truly make NC a force to be reckon with. Then we'd beat GA fot sure. NOW TAKE THAT!!!!

Unread 07-31-2010, 11:39 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,646,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yup, but still no Whole Foods in Charlotte! So odd for such a "big" city! Especially since "smaller" Raleigh has one with a second one being built!
That's because Raleigh has more Stepford wives than Charlotte.

Unread 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
My purpose for bringing up the Texas Triangle is that their respective economies actually complement each other and not necessarily compete against each other. Think about how the economy of the state would be if the Triad, Triangle, and Metrolina(?, just trying to throw in a nickname for us) all had economies that complemented each other?
In a way, I think they do. You've got finance in Charlotte, biotech/high-tech in the Triangle, and manufacturing/transportation in the Triad.

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,782,304 times
Quote:
Metrolina(?, just trying to throw in a nickname for us)

Actually it's an old nickname, but is not in wide use anymore. Look in a phone book, though, and you'll see severl business that still have it incorporated in their title.

From wikipedia:
Charlotte metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Nicknames and regional identity

The regional area around the city was at one time called Metrolina, a term which has fallen out of widespread general use, though it is still maintains a presence and is used by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. The term does retain a marketing value, and is thus also used by many businesses in the area. Metrolina refers to the region that includes the cities of: Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia and Rock Hill. The name Metrolina came into fashion when North Carolina's other two large metropolitan areas took on nicknames— the Triangle for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and the Triad for Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point. The Triad now goes by the name Piedmont Triad to distinguish it from other tri-cities.
The term Charlotte USA is sometimes also used as the metro's name, though again in more official and professional circles than in general public usage. The term is championed by the Charlotte Regional Partnership, a non-profit organization made up of both private- and public-sector members from throughout the Charlotte metropolitan area.[6]
Region J of the North Carolina Councils of Government, of which a majority of the Charlotte area municipalities and counties belong, uses the term Centralina in its body's name, Centralina Council of Governments. This term, however, is used only sparingly among locals.

Unread 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM

7,469 posts, read 8,209,225 times
Quote:
My purpose for bringing up the Texas Triangle is that their respective economies actually complement each other and not necessarily compete against each other. Think about how the economy of the state would be if the Triad, Triangle, and Metrolina(?, just trying to throw in a nickname for us) all had economies that complemented each other? Tht along with the business friendly environment of NC, it would truly make NC a force to be reckon with. Then we'd beat GA fot sure. NOW TAKE THAT!!!!
I thought that there was a name for the combination of the 3 major metros: Piedmont Crescent! It's just used all that often. It is a good idea for the state to start marketing itself with that branding.

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I thought that there was a name for the combination of the 3 major metros: Piedmont Crescent! It's just used all that often. It is a good idea for the state to start marketing itself with that branding.
The Piedmont Crescent is the name I normally use for all three NC metros. But it appears that Charlotte's nickname hasn't really gained main street credibility.

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
In a way, I think they do. You've got finance in Charlotte, biotech/high-tech in the Triangle, and manufacturing/transportation in the Triad.
To an extent you do have a point. But I think the Texas Triangle (odd name for an area of 4 cities) is a bit more cohesive. As you have also pointed out, the expansion and growth of the NC metros often comes at the price of another. If the economic cohesion was better, in this case Wake and Mecklenburg counties would be experiencing growth that complemented and not competed with each other. Now, that I'm thinking, Wake and Mecklenburg do seem a bit more cohesive.

Unread 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The South Carolinians get in "fights" with Charlotte or among themselves?
I don't know that I understand what you are saying.
Amongst themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina