U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:03 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Oh yeah, I got a good laugh from that one. The one thing that really concerns me though; is that a popular reason given for moving here is so that their kids will be able to survive after they are grown up and looking for a place to livee..... yeah; well, your parents or grandparents were saying the same thing when they moved to Long Island.
I have to agree with that. Some areas of NC are very much different today then they were 10-15 years ago, while others haven't changed much in the past 50 years. The growth we are seeing in the Charlotte & Raleigh-Durham Metro Areas is not statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 11:04 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,442,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
What about fastlane like we have in Mass, NY state and NJ?
You can go thru the gates at 40 mph in jersey!

And for some reason people rarely do! No one here seems to understand the concept of "fastlane." It's soooo incredibly dangerous. I can't tell you the number of times I've attempted to go through at 40 only to realize the idiot in front of me was decreasing his speed to a dangeously low pace. I still see people coming to complete stops in EZ Pass Lanes, which is not only dangerous, but it defeats the purpose!

SL

Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 PM

311 posts, read 560,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom View Post
That's a great point, and one all newcomers should be aware of. We all talk about how cheap it is for us, but I don't think we realize how annoying and insensitive that is to natives who see these home prices and taxes going up every day. I learned that on my first few visits. I think my realtor (a native)wanted to kill me every time she talked about an area that was considered "congested" and I made one of those "are you kidding me?" comments. Got some not-too-happy looks from other folks when I mentioned the "slower pace" here. I just meant to say the people here seem to make family, church, and friends a priority. Trust me, they don't take the comment that way.

I had to stop, shut my mouth, and realize that these people's lives have changed drastically in the past 5 years. To come here with that attitude is (understandably) perceived as obnoxious. Now when people ask me why I moved I just say, "Because I fell in love with this beautiful state and the wonderful people." It's true, after all.
I'm glad you can realize that things have changed here...and will continute to change drastically, and I am glad you feel the way you do. The problem I see is this: Everyone jumps on the bandwagon to move to a place where the taxes are lower, traffic is not as bad, a slower, better way of life. I don't blame anyone for wanting that, but too few understand that as a result the land as we knew it, the way of life that we have and is envied by some, the lower taxes that are rising, the slower traffic that is becoming more congested, schools more crowded, etc....is a problem that is being forced on us just as your similar problems are being forced on you. Yes, politicians here are pleased....I know several that own big developments (and no, they will not get my vote). Also, one of our big problems is the masses of illegals that are moving here by the thousands. We are having to foot the bill for them also. My son was in an accident last week and was taken to the emergency room. The entire area was filled with people from another country (leaving out names!) and I'm not saying that ALL were without insurance but from what I hear in the news the emergency room is used at taxpayers expense.
I am not against growth....I am concerned that people don't see what will happen to the "natives" that are having to sell off land to developers (vicious circle) in order to pay taxes, cost of living adjustment, etc. My family settled here in the 1700's. No, I don't think North Carolinians "own" this state but we do have an investment in it!

Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM

889 posts, read 2,846,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
I'm glad you can realize that things have changed here...and will continute to change drastically, and I am glad you feel the way you do. The problem I see is this: Everyone jumps on the bandwagon to move to a place where the taxes are lower, traffic is not as bad, a slower, better way of life. I don't blame anyone for wanting that, but too few understand that as a result the land as we knew it, the way of life that we have and is envied by some, the lower taxes that are rising, the slower traffic that is becoming more congested, schools more crowded, etc....is a problem that is being forced on us just as your similar problems are being forced on you. Yes, politicians here are pleased....I know several that own big developments (and no, they will not get my vote). Also, one of our big problems is the masses of illegals that are moving here by the thousands. We are having to foot the bill for them also. My son was in an accident last week and was taken to the emergency room. The entire area was filled with people from another country (leaving out names!) and I'm not saying that ALL were without insurance but from what I hear in the news the emergency room is used at taxpayers expense.
I am not against growth....I am concerned that people don't see what will happen to the "natives" that are having to sell off land to developers (vicious circle) in order to pay taxes, cost of living adjustment, etc. My family settled here in the 1700's. No, I don't think North Carolinians "own" this state but we do have an investment in it!
And what investment would that be???

Old 08-19-2006, 06:42 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,894,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
And what investment would that be???
I have an investment in NC now too

Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,650,900 times
NYC more so, but our entire country had people from other countries settle here - America including NC is supposed to be the land of opportunity -

we all have an investment in where we live - immigrants are all over, instead of blaming people who are citizens, blame our great government who allows them here and then we all pay - many of which do not even pay taxes because they are illegal

I have no issue with people coming here from other countries but become a citzen and pay taxes like the rest of us -

and while many continue to blame the average person trying to do a little better, blame the companies and the politicians for bringing jobs (which a lot of the jobs are helping those natives who lost theres for reasons not due to transplants ...
blame the builders ...

I don't blame the people of NY for making the area what it is, LI was and to some still is a desirable area, for everyone to move somebody's buying your home

And I do have sympathy for what you say and do undestand it - at least the natives in Carolina have land to sell off to pay bills, (I don't mean this in a bad way, but here where I am, if I couldn't pay my taxes I would have to sell where I live...

Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM

30 posts, read 66,495 times
I feel your pain, believe me..My family moved us to South Florida in 1970 and it was a ghost town, so to speak back then, now it is a metropolis of South Americans & NE'asterner's aglore, etc....Unfortunately, you are experiencing the angst that we went through years ago and finally we had to throw in the towel and say "live and let live" cause it wasn't going to change all our bi...and mouning about the influx of others into the land of paradise. Someday N.C., from all the posts I have read here, will be another SoCAL, NY and FL. There is just no escaping it and, I for one, will never live away from any of the aforementioned....it has become a way of life for alot of us and we have to join the forces and become one and the same....

Old 08-21-2006, 11:43 AM

58 posts, read 268,217 times
Default New member here...

Wow, what an informative post. So comforting to see so many others who are sharing in this problem.

My wife and I are considering the move to NC from NJ as well, and I see there are a number of others. JerseyMom sums things up pretty well. It's pretty cut and dry for us. From my analysis, we're going to run out of money in a few years...the costs are escalating much faster than our income. We have 2 children (5 and 8 mos), and we believe strongly in having my wife home with them. Relocating within the NJ borders just isn't feasible. It's completely out of control.

So, in looking to NC, we're aren't looking for the permanent solution, but rather a worthy option that allows us to best leverage our assets and interests. We're not going to stick our heads in the sand and make believe it will all magically get better while staying here in NJ, because it won't. And quite honestly, I'm concerned for what NJ will be in 10-15 years, when my girls are teenagers. Plus, living in the shadow of NYC has become a huge liability...I feel that getting away from it is in our best interests.

Well, that's my first post. Greetings to all, and thanks for the great information.

Darryl

Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM

22 posts, read 65,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman View Post
I mean I'm a Jersey girl and always thought I'd stay here. But I can't afford to live here, so I'm moving to where I can afford to live. Even though I found NC beautiful, and part of me can't wait to get there.
Is anyone else nervous/scared about making the move from a state they've always lived in to a whole new one?

What concerns do you have?

Mine is schools for my son. If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the move so much I think. But I worry about him.
Hoping that after I do all this, my transfer goes through and I can make the move and if it doesn't, what's my other option? Staying in Jersey, unless I want to rent the rest of my life, isn't one of them.
Finding my way around. I know the area I live in now like the back of my hand, I know even if I moved to a new town here I'd have to learn that area, but there's always familiar areas to go back to. There it's all new.

Anyone else?

Dawn

I totally hear you. I'm moving from LI, NY to Raleigh, NC. All I have to say is research, research, research! I did and found exactly what my family is looking for in Wake County. The schools are supposed to be great(which is very important for my 2 sons). The people are wonderful and accepting. It is rapidly growing. You can find all you need regarding stores and restaurants within minutes. The homes are beautiful. I hope I could help you further. I'm actually going back to NC(was there 2 weeks ago) to look at some more homes. Good Luck! Maybe I'll see you down there.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,781 times
Lightbulb Nervous? I'm staring life in the face and it's freaking me out

This is it. It's time to practice what I learned in school. I just got hired at a small daily newspaper in eastern North Carolina and I am petrified at the challenges that await me. I am relocating from Chicago to Kinston, apparently not the liveliest of places in North Carolina, in a few weeks. I had a face-to-face interview with the publisher (and all the staff ) last week and I knew that the job was worth the risk of moving to a completely different region of the country to a city half the size of my neighborhood in Chicago. It is overwhelming. I thought it was simply me but I see that many people, at least on this forum, are experiencing the same things. My concerns include first job jitters: Am I good enough? Will I handle the stress? Other concerns stem out of the fact that I know absolutely no one in the area. I will be completely independent and that is both welcome and scary. No one to make sure the car is running smoothly, no one to share a lunch with, no familiar food, sights and sounds. I hope I am right about my job, that it will be the best place for me to start my long career, for that will make this dramatic change all the more worth it. For right now, I can't wait to get there to begin exploring my new home.
For those of you who have done this before, any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina