U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 AM

143 posts, read 538,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is it. It's time to practice what I learned in school. I just got hired at a small daily newspaper in eastern North Carolina and I am petrified at the challenges that await me. I am relocating from Chicago to Kinston, apparently not the liveliest of places in North Carolina, in a few weeks. I had a face-to-face interview with the publisher (and all the staff ) last week and I knew that the job was worth the risk of moving to a completely different region of the country to a city half the size of my neighborhood in Chicago. It is overwhelming. I thought it was simply me but I see that many people, at least on this forum, are experiencing the same things. My concerns include first job jitters: Am I good enough? Will I handle the stress? Other concerns stem out of the fact that I know absolutely no one in the area. I will be completely independent and that is both welcome and scary. No one to make sure the car is running smoothly, no one to share a lunch with, no familiar food, sights and sounds. I hope I am right about my job, that it will be the best place for me to start my long career, for that will make this dramatic change all the more worth it. For right now, I can't wait to get there to begin exploring my new home.
For those of you who have done this before, any advice?

Srodrigu

I am born and raised Washington dc native 47 years I am relocating my family to the Charlotte area in two weeks and I am mortified wife has job lined up I am staying back until they get settled and I find a job. Its tuff you have so many things that goes through your mind. but all and all i am looking forward to the new start of a new chapter in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 65,548 times
Good Luck to ALL of us making the huge move to NC!! May it be a change for the best. Here's to not looking back and making it work!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,789 times
Default Thanks...

I am a new poster and just wanted to thank all of you who have put your fears in words for the rest of us to read. I am a native of VA and currently live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. We have been married for almost 10 years and have not had the true motivation to move until now. Of course we have a lot of the same fears the rest of you do and it's nice to know we are not alone. I have a brother who moved to Cary last year and we have been down a few times. It's very nice...at least what we have seen. We, too are looking for a safe family environment as well as affordable housing where my husband won't have to commute 3 hours a day. Any opinions/suggestions on where in this area would be good for that? We don't need big city life, but don't want to be in the boonies either. He's in the construction industry and is currently a Superintendent for a large home builder in Northern VA. We have picked somewhere in this NC vicinity because it is less than a day's drive from where our family is as well as my brother who is in Cary. Thanks in advance for any replies...J

Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,772,982 times
Default it will be OK

I myself went through this but when numbers dont add up there is no choice other than move to a place where you have a better chance of the life you want. Note I said better, it isnt for sure but if where you are isnt working then trying somewhere else is the first step if not the solution.

Also, its not like you cant leave NC and go somewhere else if you want to. Noone is captive.

Kids, the early age kids make friends very easily (better than adults). Sometimes teens can have an issue with it but they may have a bigger issue not having food on the table,,,

Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 17,766 times
My husband & I bought property in NC 3 years ago. We plan to retire there (can't wait). I don't know what your boys' ages are, but we spoke with a woman that moved to NC (from NY). Her boys are 10 & 12 - they LOVE it there. She said when they don't listen, she threatens that they're going to move back to NY as their punishment.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,789 times
hweller...not sure if you are talking to me or someone else when you ask the ages of kids...i didn't post mine, but didn't see another poster that you were replying to so if it wasn't me, I apologize in advance!

My boys are 7 and almost 3. Where in NC did you buy property? Just curious! As far as ducter's post...I agree...you'll never know whether or not you'll like it until you get there. It's the fear of the unknown that a lot of us have. I guess we just think no one else goes through it, but everyone's situations are so different most of the time and their needs/wants when it comes to a place to live can get lengthy. We are picky for somethings such as we don't want to go too far from where we are now because of family, we don't really want to go north from where we are and we like to be close to the ocean. That pretty much narrows it down for us! But alot of the areas I am finding in the NE corner of NC are listed as higher crime areas. I realize that just about everywhere has it's bad spots, but that is certainly a deterrent for us. It's just nice to have other peoples opinions on what they like/dislike about these different areas in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina