U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 PM

293 posts, read 865,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
. We are specifically looking for a buddy bath between two of the rooms and the 3rd room to have its own bath and the master to have its own bath. A finshed attic or basement or both. That is easier said that done!
McCar homes has a house just like it. Don't know about the basement though. It has the jack and jill bathroom between 2 bdrms.,a bdrm w/it's own bath & of course the master has it's own bath also. I think it was the "Hanley" model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,996,969 times
Quote:
Oh price has nothing to do with it. It is just trying to find something that fits our criteria/wish list that is hard. Your home and lot are beautiful! Love them. We currently live in a 3600 sq' home with three growing kids so moving down to your size would be difficult "I think". I have seen 2000 sq' homes that feel larger than 4000 sq' homes it all depends on the layout. We are specifically looking for a buddy bath between two of the rooms and the 3rd room to have its own bath and the master to have its own bath. A finshed attic or basement or both. That is easier said that done!
I actually have that it is called a jack and jill, between the two back bedrooms, I have 4 kids and we actually think we have two much room here, we have a bonus upstairs also that the kids use as there tv room and the others are all very large. We also have another bedroom that has a bathroom right next to it and our master has its own bath with seperate shower and jetted tub.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,400,939 times
Quote:
... My main concern is for my kids. especially my 12 year old. I can't sleep I am making myself sick over it. Picturing him walking into the school for the first time alone or the first week or two. Picturing him eatin lunch alone etc. He has been very upset on this end already so it has made it extremely hard.
We are into our 2nd week here. My 12 year old is still not happy but is settling in & is starting to admit to the things he does like. But he was very happy in NY so it would be wierd for him to not miss his friends.
Tons of the kids in his school have come here within the past few years, new kids come in all the time, so he Never Once was eating lunch alone. The issue is he is having to create friendships, and that just takes time.
As to the quality of Heritage Middle School? It is roughly equivalent to the expensive private school we had him in in NY. The teachers are energetic & engaged. The parents are involved. The building is state of the art. Maybe other schools are nto as good but this one is great. We have had some administrative glitches but the staff calls you back quickly & are really welcoming & helpful.
Quote:
My other two I worry about but not as much. AT least they will be at the same school.
My 2nd grader just slid right in, is getting on well with everyone and really likes his new life. My 4 year old is just happy to be home with me for so long, that rarely happened when I had my pressure cooker job in NY.[/quote]
Quote:
... Also hard is just our life long friends and family calling us and crying on the phone because we are leaving. makes it hard to "keep it all together".
That only gets worse. But the ones you care about? There is a phone & the net, & visits back to see them & for them to see you.

[quote=CAKDI am also extremely stressed about finding a house at this point. sometimes doing the right thing....in fact most times doing the right thing is never easy. I am just taking it one day at a time. [/quote]

We are renting for 9 months so that we can givethe home search the attention it deserves. Not dealing with that took off a ton of pressure!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
McCar homes has a house just like it. Don't know about the basement though. It has the jack and jill bathroom between 2 bdrms.,a bdrm w/it's own bath & of course the master has it's own bath also. I think it was the "Hanley" model.
John Wieland homes also have that. They have 3 1/2 baths, jack and jill, and another in the other bedroom, the one in the master suite as well as its own powder room.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman
I mean I'm a Jersey girl and always thought I'd stay here. But I can't afford to live here, so I'm moving to where I can afford to live. Even though I found NC beautiful, and part of me can't wait to get there.
Is anyone else nervous/scared about making the move from a state they've always lived in to a whole new one?

What concerns do you have?

Mine is schools for my son. If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the move so much I think. But I worry about him.
Hoping that after I do all this, my transfer goes through and I can make the move and if it doesn't, what's my other option? Staying in Jersey, unless I want to rent the rest of my life, isn't one of them.
Finding my way around. I know the area I live in now like the back of my hand, I know even if I moved to a new town here I'd have to learn that area, but there's always familiar areas to go back to. There it's all new.

Anyone else?

Dawn
You are preaching to the quire. I think we're all very nervous and excited at the same time. When we were putting our house on the market, I asked my husband "What if it doesn't work out in NC"? He said, "We have to make it work because once our house sells, there is no turning back". So we sold our house and we're moving mid-September and I think it's just starting to hit me that we're going to moving. I know it will be very emotional for us, especially for me because we brought our daughter home to our house from the hospital when she was born. She's 3 1/2 now and I tried to explain to her this morning that we're going to have a new house. Even though she doesn't quite understand the concept yet, she did make it a point to tell me that she didn't want a new house and she wants to stay in this house. This is going to be interesting.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,890,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
We are into our 2nd week here. My 12 year old is still not happy but is settling in & is starting to admit to the things he does like. But he was very happy in NY so it would be wierd for him to not miss his friends.
Tons of the kids in his school have come here within the past few years, new kids come in all the time, so he Never Once was eating lunch alone. The issue is he is having to create friendships, and that just takes time.
As to the quality of Heritage Middle School? It is roughly equivalent to the expensive private school we had him in in NY. The teachers are energetic & engaged. The parents are involved. The building is state of the art. Maybe other schools are nto as good but this one is great. We have had some administrative glitches but the staff calls you back quickly & are really welcoming & helpful.

My 2nd grader just slid right in, is getting on well with everyone and really likes his new life. My 4 year old is just happy to be home with me for so long, that rarely happened when I had my pressure cooker job in NY.

That only gets worse. But the ones you care about? There is a phone & the net, & visits back to see them & for them to see you.

We are renting for 9 months so that we can givethe home search the attention it deserves. Not dealing with that took off a ton of pressure![/quote]

That is very reassuring! I have a question about waiting to buy a home and renting. What if you find a home that doesn't go to the schools your kids are currently in? Are you going to have to move them again to the schools for that home? We are trying to only move schools once to cut down on the trauma factor.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
Where all is McCar building? I think we may have looked at them but my memory is scrambled we have looked at so much!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
John Wieland homes also have that. They have 3 1/2 baths, jack and jill, and another in the other bedroom, the one in the master suite as well as its own powder room.
Yes love the John Wieland homes. We have four we are considering but although we love the homes the lots are holding us back. Little land and little trees. Not our first choice. If we could pick up the house and put it on a different lots we would be sold!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 PM

293 posts, read 865,614 times
Quote:
Where all is McCar building? I think we may have looked at them but my memory is scrambled we have looked at so much!
They are building in both the Raleigh & Charlotte areas. I don't know where you are looking to move.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,400,939 times
Quote:
I have a question about waiting to buy a home and renting. What if you find a home that doesn't go to the schools your kids are currently in? Are you going to have to move them again to the schools for that home? We are trying to only move schools once to cut down on the trauma factor.
WE specifically rented in the node where we think we want to buy. We did that to avoid the "2 move" nightmare.
Of course there are no guarantees about continuing in the same school but it seems the nodes, when they are moved, move as a node, so they would be with the same kids. That is my theory, at least!
I used the WCPSS site to get the objective facts about each school. I tis a clumsy site, it does nto give you one big map with the nodes on it, you have to go school by school or address (including street #) by address.

BTW, I have been too busy to be sad, as of yet. Everything is so new. I got lost finding Target yesterday, had a nice LONG drive but oh well, I am learning by driving around.
Also I should say that there are lots of pretty areas & developments without the nice websites, you really need to be here to get a feel for things.

Finally, our townhouse is massive- rooms for everyone, a nice deck & patio, in a quiet area, nice & new. So, renting is not a hassle. it is a great intermission, allowing us to get into the househunt in a saner way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina