Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,806,242 times

Advertisements

I think we get her point though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 PM

152 posts, read 475,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
If only.... many people REALLY do think that NC will stay productive and affordable forever. They think that because everyone who is moving there is doing so to "escape" the high taxes and other expenses of where they live now; that the taxes and cost of living won't go up here. I agree with NC native; in another decade or two it will be people leaving NC and looking for more affordable areas in Kentucky, Alabama or who knows where else!
Is that an informed statement? (no pun intended)

There will always be people looking for an easier way of life.....just so happens, you already did that. What happens when one of your children gets married, has a family, and can't afford to live in NY next door to grandpa?
What do you tell her/him? Do you give them all the money you've saved living in NC for the past 11 years? Or do you let them live/rent in your basement until they could afford a place of their own? Or in ten years from now, if Kentucky is the new "it" place for new, young families, do you confine them to the basement? or let it be? Just curious?.........

Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
I disagree. You CHOOSE how you react to something or someone. You CHOOSE where you live and if you can't, you CHOOSE to make the best of it or be miserable. Obviously...I choose to be happy and I am. And for those of you that are choosing to always seek the negative...you are choosing to be miserable. Vicki

Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,536,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
Is that an informed statement? (no pun intended)

There will always be people looking for an easier way of life.....just so happens, you already did that. What happens when one of your children gets married, has a family, and can't afford to live in NY next door to grandpa?
What do you tell her/him? Do you give them all the money you've saved living in NC for the past 11 years? Or do you let them live/rent in your basement until they could afford a place of their own? Or in ten years from now, if Kentucky is the new "it" place for new, young families, do you confine them to the basement? or let it be? Just curious?.........

I'm moving to upstate ny..... which is arguably more affordable than NC. Sorry. There's no need to be rude or personal.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:08 PM

152 posts, read 475,442 times
Quote:
I'm moving to upstate ny..... which is arguably more affordable than NC. Sorry. There's no need to be rude or personal.
So for the first time you have nothing to say? There's nothing rude or personal about my post. We have land and a home in Masonville which we vacation often with our children. If we could afford to live there permanently, we would. We don't owe a dime for the house, the water is well, the taxes are 1800 per year, and it is the most beautiful place/scenery on earth. The people are wonderful, old town living, cows/horses down the road, and to boot, the best ice cream stand in the world down at the bottom of our mountain, that my husband walked to as a kid, and now my kids do the same.........so I do get where you're coming from..... and we hang on to this place BECAUSE when my 4 children are grown and off into this big world, my husband (did i get it right, i know how hubby strikes a cord) and I will retire there, and my kids will always have a place to come back to from there childhood. We live in LI now, as I'm sure you know, but NC will be the place for the next 11 years, (Masonville in Julys) to save that $125,000 in taxes (whether they go up, insignificent) . It's all relative my fellow NYer.....only trying to do the best we can as parents........not rude.....

Old 08-14-2006, 10:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
Jackie...don't waste your breath. There are some people that will just not agree with anyone or anything when it differs from what they want to portray. To those people...I'm sorry for you and I feel bad for you. Did anyone say "prozac"? I thought the whole purpose of this forum was to pass along information and to help, not to be rude or offensive and not to make someone feel belittled because their opinion is different than yours. I can't advise anyone to move here nor can I advise against it. I'm here because I enjoy reading the posts, I feel like I do learn some things and I enjoy the regulars and the newbies. I hope I do not offend anyone but every now and again, I feel that I must insert that I am a Realtor and therefore, some of my posts are from that standpoint. So, for those of you that don't seem to enjoy my point of view...please stop bugging the moderator and saying I'm advertising, when I'm not. And yes...you know who you are! As I do! Vicki

Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,536,878 times
I have nothing to say? I said all that I needed to; if my kids move away from ny when they get older that's their decision and I wouldn't stop them. You seemed to have thought they wouldn't be able to afford it; my pont being that the part of the state I was moving too wasn't very expensive. I haven't saved much money in moving to NC I moved here for the weather, the fact that there was a lot of new construction here, and to just see what it was like after hearing about how great it was. If affordability was my main concern; I would have stayed where I was...... Also; what have I ever said that would make you think that the word "hubby" .... to quote "strikes a cord" with me?

Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 PM

79 posts, read 262,710 times
Quote:
Speaking form experience..... they won't ever be fully "supportive". They will still love you and want to see you just as much, but won't want to talk about you living in another area. The one thing I picked up on as a guilt trip was having one member of the family calling me from the huge Christmas eve party that they have at my brother's house every year. They just pass the phone around and wish us a Merry Christmas. Talking about how much funt they are having and how they all wish we were there. It'll be many subtle guilt trips. They worked on me. They may bring up the fact that you missed a big family gathering, or that you won't be able to have any family gatherings at your house anymore. For some people that doesn't really matter, especially those whose families aren't all still in one area. For me though, my entire family still lives within 30 minutes of the house I grew up in and have all made very successfull lives personaly and financially for themselves. It's all a matter of priorities and circumstances. My wife's family is a little more spread out, but all of them still on the east coast. She mostly wants to move because she hates the heat and still doesn't feel that she fits in to "southern culture". lol

I noted that from your previous posts that you are moving back to up-state NY. I just moved down to Clayton from Long Island and my wife and I "broke-up the family" but if my family and her family lived up-state we could have moved a bit further "out" to find cheaper housing. That is not the case on LI, either you can afford it or you can't, there's no further "out" areas left there. I also have come to hate the winters i am absolutly miserable in winter time so instead of moving 5 or 6hrs up-state for worse winters we decided to move 9hrs south for better winters. I know the summers are brutal but I can handle the brutal heat better than the brutal cold.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we felt we were left with no choice other than to move to a cheaper area and we always talked about NC since spending our honeymoon on the OBX. I wished we could have moved and made my commute a little longer and at the same time made living on LI affordable to us, but that can't happen there any more. If our families lived in say Westchester we could have moved to Brewster and still be around the family but that was not the case. thanks for listening to my ramblings,,,lol

Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,898,087 times
- as a defense to Vicki,(we need to get together for coffee one day) I see many people on this forum directly asking Vicki and other realtors for opinion and specific questions about areas...Based on the knowledge in their field and the area she works that is all I see...I personally think she and the other realtors on this board are pretty smart for being here (that is all I will say about that)

Everyone has their own opinion and that is why it is called an opinion. I like to see other people's opinions - while I do not see the need to be rude, I will re-iterate what has been said before, these are words and sometimes the way we write them out - they are taken is out of context.

If everyone had the same opinion, this forum would be boring.

Going to what Jackie stated, again it's like beating a dead horse, we all do what we feel is the right thing to do for ourselves and our family. What is affordable to one, may not be to another. As someone else said, some people have no choice..other's do...

Home is where the heart is.

ANd in the words of Bon Jovi "Who says you can't go home"

Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 PM

79 posts, read 262,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
I'm just curious as to what gives you that impression? Why do you think those of us who are moving or have moved don't expect NC to change? The fact is, many of us who are moving are sick and TIRED very tired of the way we are living now. You have been in NC for many years now. Do you have any idea what it's like to live in NJ, or LI, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and of course NYC? In NJ, a first time buyer has to cough up $400,000 to buy a half decent home with 2/3 bedrooms. In most of the better towns (better meaning a decent school system), you are lucky to get a town house for that kind of money.

I know that you are unhappy with the decision you've made, and I've read your comments over and over and over again without really flinching. But you struck a nerve when you mentioned that people who are happy moving must not feel close to their families. I have an incredibly tight extended family. We have never lived apart from eachother. But, I had to make the move. To see my husband drive 2 1/2 hours (min.) each way to get into Manhattan just so we could afford NJ is doing my own family an injustice. My husband and my children are more important to me that anyone else. I don't have to live and die where my extended family is.

I don't think of NC as some sort of utopia. It's close enough to drive back and forth to visit family in NJ, the weather is nice, the people are warm and wonderful, and yes, it is affordable.

I'd love to know what you would be doing if you were forced out of your beloved home town in NY. If you had to pay $500-600,000 for a 40 year old home, and then pay $8-10,000 a year in taxes, if you couldn't afford to stay there and had to choose a better life for your family or if you COULD afford it, but it required you to get up at 5:30 in the morning and get home at 9:00 at night. I'll tell you what you'd be doing. You'd be calling NC paradise.

I am from LI and i could not have said what you said any better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina