U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

37 posts, read 61,477 times

Advertisements

10 points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,527,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
sigh - Look at the states with the highest tax rates, the most problems, the most social ills, (NY, NJ, Connecticut and California) and tell me you don't get the connection between liberal policies and their ridiculously expensive way of life
I was always under the impression that liberal states are more expensive because there's a direct correlation between liberal politics and education level, and people with better educations tend to have more money, and people with more money tend to drive up housing prices.

What are these "social ills" you're talking about? Poverty? The poorest states are Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Tennessee, Montana, Louisiana and South Carolina. Crime? It's highest in DC, but after that comes South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana and Florida. Divorce? Highest in Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Alaska and Alabama. Teen pregnancy? Nevada, Arizona, Mississippi, New Mexico, Texas. So what are these "problems" and "social ills"?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM

The reason we're moving from Maine to NC is to save money, so I damn well hope it isn't cheaper to live up here than down there!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejneilson View Post
The reason we're moving from Maine to NC is to save money, so I damn well hope it isn't cheaper to live up here than down there!
Many people here have commented on this in the past, so I'm just going to repeat it for what it's worth - if the ONLY reason you are moving to NC is to "save money" you will in all likelihood regret your decision.

MANY people have done that, mistakenly thinking that saving money would make like so much easier that they would have to be happier. Apparently, it doesn't really work that way.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I was always under the impression that liberal states are more expensive because there's a direct correlation between liberal politics and education level, and people with better educations tend to have more money, and people with more money tend to drive up housing prices.

What are these "social ills" you're talking about? Poverty? The poorest states are Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Tennessee, Montana, Louisiana and South Carolina. Crime? It's highest in DC, but after that comes South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana and Florida. Divorce? Highest in Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Alaska and Alabama. Teen pregnancy? Nevada, Arizona, Mississippi, New Mexico, Texas. So what are these "problems" and "social ills"?
Sorry, you are taking the thread off topic and I'm in interested in debating my opinions

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 AM

I may not have explained this enough. We'll be staying with my girlfriend's parents in Winston-Salem for at least three or four months, rent free. This is a hugely necessary financial decision right now, as we've dug ourselves into a hole up in Portland. During that time period, we're going to tour around the state and find the area that we feel best suits what we're looking for. That way, we aren't jumping into anything.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,228,911 times
Good plan. You may just want to stay right there in W-S (I personally like the Triad area a lot). It will certanily help you figure out how much income you'll need and what your expenses might look like down the road.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM

I want to get some opinions on that too; you think it's a good plan?

I'm 25, highly in debt from student loans and we just can't get ahead here. Her pay has basically topped out at $30,000 in PR here, and I was working in Marketing for only $27,000 for two years. I've started freelance writing, and am finally starting to make a bit of money.

I feel like this is like our one chance for a restart in life, and we should probably take it. Her folks are well off and more than happy to help us get back on our feet.

Thoughts?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejneilson View Post
I want to get some opinions on that too; you think it's a good plan?

I'm 25, highly in debt from student loans and we just can't get ahead here. Her pay has basically topped out at $30,000 in PR here, and I was working in Marketing for only $27,000 for two years. I've started freelance writing, and am finally starting to make a bit of money.

I feel like this is like our one chance for a restart in life, and we should probably take it. Her folks are well off and more than happy to help us get back on our feet.

Thoughts?

Any plans to marry your girl? I bet her parents would be even more generous to a son-in-law

SuperK is right, you will most likely find you don't have to far for the life you are looking for once you land at her parents. Chapel Hill is VERY nice and has the best schools in the state. And Carboro is fairly liberal for such a small town.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 08-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,527,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, you are taking the thread off topic and I'm in interested in debating my opinions
Ha, good answer. I can relate, so I suppose whatever your politics, we have something in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina