U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I relocate to Charlotte OR Greensboro?
Charlotte 8 66.67%
Greensboro 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 AM

406 posts, read 1,257,565 times

Advertisements

I been doin extensive research as well as gettin feedback from people on here. I'm almost positive i'm gonna move to Concord right outside of Charlotte, NC. I will be goin to school. Well anyways, I want to be 100% positive before I make my move. I understand the city of Charlotte itself has a pretty high crime rate. How is Greensboro, Nc. Would anybody recommend there as far as the city? how does it compare to Charlotte overall. Should I consider it or should I stick with my original thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,811,954 times
If you are going to school, I would think Charlotte might have more resources?

Is that for grad work?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If you are going to school, I would think Charlotte might have more resources?

Is that for grad work?
Yea, i'm tryin to get my Bachelors; but also important and maby more. I'm gonna call the place home. I'm 26 years old soon, I beleive Greensboro is more quit with less to do, more family oriented, more laid back. This I like but i'm afraid I may get what I ask for then be too board out of my mind! I know Charlotte is a big city and has alot goin on. Would I be better to get a suburb outside of Charlotte and cummute to the city when I want. In what ways might Greensboro be better. Do you really think I should choose Charlotte for more "resources"

Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,105,202 times
Charlotte has more "city" resources and more going on, but I think the Triad area as a whole has better higher education resources and more options.

Charlotte: UNCC, Queens, Kings, Johnson C. Smith, Johnson & Wales, Gaston, Belmont Abbey, CPCC
Triad: Wake Forest, Guilford, UNCG, WSSU, NC A&T, NC School of Art, Greensboro College, Bennett, High Point Univ, John Wesley, Piedmont Baptist, Salem, GTCC, Forsyth Tech

Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Charlotte has more "city" resources and more going on, but I think the Triad area as a whole has better higher education resources and more options.

Charlotte: UNCC, Queens, Kings, Johnson C. Smith, Johnson & Wales, Gaston, Belmont Abbey, CPCC
Triad: Wake Forest, Guilford, UNCG, WSSU, NC A&T, NC School of Art, Greensboro College, Bennett, High Point Univ, John Wesley, Piedmont Baptist, Salem, GTCC, Forsyth Tech

Ok, do you have any comment on the two places as cities. pro's and con's or which is better or worse and why and in what ways?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,868,040 times
I used to live in Greensboro but have never lived in Charlotte. But if I were a single professional in my mid-20's, I would choose Charlotte because it's bigger. I also like to travel to Atlanta a Charlotte is a little closer. I would go ahead and move to Concord. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 34,307 times
Personally would recommend Greensboro. The cost of living is very low. Now Concord and Cabarrus Co. are probably a bargain. But I wouldn't care for the rapid growth around the NASCAR track. Greensboro is a fair-sized city and I say there is plenty to do except for some of the entertainment in central Charlotte. In either case, if you are looking for work or business, be sure your'e in the right location.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,811,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Yea, i'm tryin to get my Bachelors; but also important and maby more. I'm gonna call the place home. I'm 26 years old soon, I beleive Greensboro is more quit with less to do, more family oriented, more laid back. This I like but i'm afraid I may get what I ask for then be too board out of my mind! I know Charlotte is a big city and has alot goin on. Would I be better to get a suburb outside of Charlotte and cummute to the city when I want. In what ways might Greensboro be better. Do you really think I should choose Charlotte for more "resources"

I am thinking resources as outside of school...

Libraries, museums, entertainment stuff. Greensboro does have other schools, but I just do not see it as being dynamic like Charlotte.
Charlotte has "suburbs" and seems to be more energetic IMHO..

UNLESS you are looking for quiet down-low lifestyle which is what I see in Greensboro...if that is what you prefer.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Well, I like the fact that Charlotte has soo much to offer in the way of Amenities however it seems as though Knoxville has things as well they just are overloaded with them. To me Charlotte seems like they have more transplants then locals which leads to not much "southern" culture or hospitality due to the fact that most of them are transplants from other places. I dont want to relocate in the south only to be surrounded by "NON-locals" although I had my mind pretty much set on Charlotte the more I read/hear about Knoxville the more I am fallin in love with it. The people seem friendlier, it seems more "southern" to me (take that how you want it). knoxville seems to be a mid-size city that has a more "smalltown" feel to it where the people are closer and they hold more festivals and get-togethers. Seems it has a stronger "family feel". Am I right about this at all? Do you think I'd get board of this place since EVERYBODY is not moveing here like Charlotte, Raleigh OR Atlanta....

Old 08-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I used to live in Greensboro but have never lived in Charlotte. But if I were a single professional in my mid-20's, I would choose Charlotte because it's bigger. I also like to travel to Atlanta a Charlotte is a little closer. I would go ahead and move to Concord. Good luck.
To me Atlanta AND Charlotte have a few things in common, high crime rates, higher then normal cost of liveing for the south, crazy traffic, alot of transplants; not many locals, growing too quickly, too "touristy". Keep in mind this place is gonna be more then just a place to have a business or go to school but also to call home. Due I want all these "big city" problems that these two have... or should I go "mid-sized", more true southern feel due to more locals then where everybody else is going in great numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina